Man presumed dead after 20-foot sinkhole opens up under his bedroom and swallows him

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Man presumed dead after 20-foot sinkhole opens up under his bedroom and swallows him without a trace

A sinkhole 20 feet across and 20 feet deep opened up under a man’s bedroom and swallowed him up without a trace, taking his bed, TV set and dresser, too, as he screamed for help.
Jeff Bush, 37, was presumed dead after the concrete floor caved in about 11 p.m. Thursday as everyone in the house was turning in for the night. It gave way with a loud crash that brought his brother running.
Jeremy Bush said he jumped into the hole but couldn’t see his brother and had to be rescued himself by a sheriff’s deputy who reached out and pulled him to safety as the ground crumbled around him.

“The floor was still giving in and the dirt was still going down, but I didn’t care. I wanted to save my brother,” Jeremy Bush, 36, said through tears Friday in a neighbor’s yard. “But I just couldn’t do nothing.”
He added: “I could swear I heard him hollering my name to help him.”
Officials lowered equipment into the sinkhole and saw no signs of life, said Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokeswoman Jessica Damico.
The dresser and the TV set had vanished down the hole.

More: Jeff Bush presumed dead after 20-foot sinkhole swallows Florida man | World | News | National Post

Damn, what a way to go!

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
That is a seriously scary natural phenomenon but no excuse for poor vocabulary: "But I just couldn't do anything!" Actually... I take that back. There is nothing wrong with negative concord.

That sinkhole could have sunk the whole house!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
That is a seriously scary natural phenomenon but no excuse for poor vocabulary: "But I just couldn't do anything!" Actually... I take that back. There is nothing wrong with negative concord.

I'm sure he's very chagrined over the whole thing, lol.

That's absolutely terrifying, terra firma is supposed to be, well, terra firma!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
its like hell opened up and swallowed him. 8O

it still might. I read on another link that the sinkhole is growing. 8O

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What a horrible way to die (not that there's really a good way to die). Not to mention the rest of the family will be scarred the rest of their lives. They lost their son/brother, their home, pretty much all of their belongings. Also, his body will never be recovered and they will bury an empty coffin. What a sad story.:(

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What a horrible way to die (not that there's really a good way to die). Not to mention the rest of the family will be scarred the rest of their lives. They lost their son/brother, their home, pretty much all of their belongings. Also, his body will never be recovered and they will bury an empty coffin. What a sad story.:(
Dying in your sleep is a good way to go.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

It is, a very difficult thing to have to wrap your head around I'm sure. Knowing that a loved one is buried alive...gives me shivers.

God hates Florida. I can totally see his reasoning.

Makes you wonder why he would allow Mickey Mouse to be created if he was just going to hate him so much.

Dying in your sleep is a good way to go.

It would be but I don't think this guy was sleeping. 8O

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Appears that sinkholes have been a problem in the area for some years........

Farmers in Hillsborough and Polk counties pumped nearly 1 billion gallons of water a day out of the aquifer during the 11-day cold snap this month, causing 85 reported sinkholes in the region and about 700 complaints of dried-up or damaged residential wells, according to figures released Tuesday by the Southwest Florida Water Management District.

That 1 billion gallon figure is 16 times the normal average permitted quantity of 60 million gallons a day that the farmers can use. It's 10 times the combined 103 million gallons a day that St. Petersburg and Tampa residents use. It's enough water to fill up more than 15,000 Olympic swimming pools.

At that time in 2010 they knew more sinkholes were coming.

During that time Plant City alone declared 11 homes uninhabitable, and they were watching 35 others.

more

During record cold, farmers used 1 billion gallons of water daily, causing 85 sinkholes | Tampa Bay Times

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Years ago in Nanaimo, they found a house to be sitting on air. The occupants abandoned the site in a hurry!

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sinkhole destroys two Florida homes, forces evacuations
Reuters
First posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 03:12 PM EST | Updated: Thursday, November 14, 2013 03:31 PM EST
A sinkhole swallowed parts of two houses on Florida's west coast on Thursday and seven nearby homes were evacuated as it continued to expand more than six hours after being discovered, a local official said.
The hole in Dunedin, Florida, near Tampa, was about 60 feet wide and 50 feet deep by midday, after it pulled down a 14-foot boat and a pool, said Jeff Parks, chief of the city's fire department.
Parks said the hole measured about 25 feet wide when firefighters received an initial call at around 5:40 a.m. EST.
One of the affected homeowners "originally thought someone was breaking in his house," Parks said.
Florida is prone to sinkholes because of its porous limestone foundation and the cavities that are the result are a common feature of the state's landscape - such as springs, lakes and portions of rivers.
Sinkholes mostly occur as naturally acidic underground water flows through and dissolves the underlying limestone. North and central Florida, particularly in the Tampa area, generally are more vulnerable than south Florida.
The sinkhole affecting residents in Dunedin on Thursday was located about 40 miles from one that opened in February under a house and swallowed a man who was sleeping in his bedroom. His body was never recovered.
(Screen grab)

WFLA NEWS @WFLA Follow
#DunedinSinkhole has almost doubled in size since this am, officials said: http://8.wfla.com/HVkSUA
1:07 PM - 14 Nov 2013

7 Retweets

Tampa Bay Traffic @TampaBayTraffic Follow#SINKHOLE 70 feet wide, 50 feet deep per Dunedin Fire Rescue chief. 2 homes on Robmar Rd condemned. @abcactionnews
1:19 PM - 14 Nov 2013

3 Retweets
http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.elemen.../2013/11/14/florida-sinkhole-dupre-newday.cnn
Sinkhole destroys two Florida homes, forces evacuations | World | News | Toronto Sun