Prescription Drug Overdoses Killed 23,000 Americans in 2010; Cannabis – 0

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Prescription Drug Overdoses Killed 23,000 Americans in 2010; Cannabis – 0
Posted on February 20, 2013 at 10:08 am by David Downs in Health
Comments(50) |

Drug overdose deaths rose for the eleventh straight year in America, fueled by legal prescriptions for OxyContin and Valium. Medical cannabis, meanwhile, continued its 10,000 year-long streak of not killing anyone by overdose.

There is no physical way to overdose on smoked or ingested cannabis, making it one of the safest, most non-toxic painkillers, sleeping aids, and stress relievers on the planet. It’s also a Schedule One narcotic that the U.S. government says has no medical use and a high potential for abuse.

Blue Dream: safer than FDA-approved drugs, by a long-shot
Drugs that the U.S. government considers safer – like OxyContin, Vicodin and Valium – caused about 60 percent of the 38,329 drug overdose deaths nationwide in 2010, the CDC reports. “Anti-anxiety drugs including Valium were among common causes of medication-related deaths, involved in almost 30 percent of them. Among the medication-related deaths, 17 percent were suicides.”

Legal drugs deemed safe by the FDA killed more people than illegal heroin and cocaine overdoses combined, reports state. Those numbers promise to increase when statistics for 2011 and 2012 come out.

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition speaker Nate Bradley – an ex-cop from Sacramento, CA. – says the figures add up.

“I saw so many people die from pills,” he said. “My first autopsy was a Vicodin overdose – the accidental Vicodin overdose of a 38 year-old woman. And I sat there and watched them take apart her body, because she accidentally had too much.”

50Comments(50) |

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
BS- How many were killed driving. How many killed others while driving high. How many were killed because the fuked up at work. Ho =w many were killed because they were high and fuked up at work.
Do some research will ya.
Christ on a Crutch but the Op is idiotic at the least and moronic at the best.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Prescription drugs taken as prescribed in hospitals are the fourth leading cause of death in the US and Canada, after cancer, heart disease and strokes. They cause about 10,000 deaths a year in Canada and about 106,000 deaths a year and over two million serious injuries in the US. As many as another 10,000 deaths a year in Canada are thought to occur outside hospitals due to the wrong drug, dosage errors and adverse reactions. One out of four admissions to internal medicine in Canadian hospitals is related to prescription drugs, of which 70% are preventable. Canadians now spend more on prescription drugs ($24 billion) than we do on doctors ($18 billion).

More: Facts on prescription drug deaths and the drug industry | Common Ground

How many deaths are due to marijuana?

Answer:
Note: This question has been hotly contended and, unfortuntely, a lot of the contention relates to facts and theories that have nothing to do with the question itself (e.g. the number of traffic deaths due to Marijuana, while interesting, is not what this question asks). As such, I've deleted parts of answers that don't apply to this question specifically. Those who wish to take this further are encouraged to start new questions. Answer:

According to Drug War Facts, the answer is 0.

An exhaustive search of the literature finds no credible reports of deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death.

How many deaths are due to marijuana

BS- How many were killed driving. How many killed others while driving high. How many were killed because the fuked up at work. Ho =w many were killed because they were high and fuked up at work.
The OP is about over doses. There has never been an over dose on pot and there has never been a death, accidental or not, attributed to pot.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I choose medication prescribed by a naturapath, sometimes by my regular doctor, and I will not choose

to take a drug that leaves me walking around with a lazy stupid grin on my face, no drive to do much

of anything and really, how many actually have a legitimate medical problem, but use that as an excuse

to do the drug.

My naturapath could prescribe something wholesome and successful, and it wouldn't by cannabis.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Naturapaths do as much good for what ails you as god.Take a snake,run it through a wringer,what do you get ?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Those arent overdose deaths. They are also deaths that could happen from nearly any legal drug as well. There's nothing special about cannabis in this regard.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Those arent overdose deaths. They are also deaths that could happen from nearly any legal drug as well. There's nothing special about cannabis in this regard.

Correct - But people have died due to screwing up when high.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Naturopaths do as much good for what ails you as god.Take a snake,run it through a wringer,what do you get ?

Big Pharma.
Naturopaths, at least the ones I personally know are good healers. True some are better than others. My wife, although not licensed to practice in Canada is a far better healer than one of the naturopaths that she works for.
Don't confuse Naturopaths with quacks. In normal countries naturopaths have hospital privileges and often work alongside medical doctors. Here in repressive N America Big Pharma and their trained pill pushers rule supreme.

Correct - But people have died due to screwing up when high.

Your point? Many people have died screwing up while not on any medication. Sometimes referred to as Darwinism.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Big Pharma.
Naturopaths, at least the ones I personally know are good healers. True some are better than others. My wife, although not licensed to practice in Canada is a far better healer than one of the naturopaths that she works for.
Don't confuse Naturopaths with quacks. In normal countries naturopaths have hospital privileges and often work alongside medical doctors. Here in repressive N America Big Pharma and their trained pill pushers rule supreme.
The joke is, we call our system Health Care when in fact it is Illness Maintenance. To have true health care, the system would have to include alternatives.

no more drugs

Electoral Member
Jan 21, 2013
Woman Commits Suicide
While Testing
New Antidepressant
[SIZE=+2]Was Traci Johnson Driven To Suicide By Antidepressants?
That's A Trade Secret, Say US Officials
[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]
By Jeanne Lenzer and Nicholas Pyke
The Independent - UK
6-20-5[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]When the body of a 19-year-old student, Traci Johnson, was found hanging from a shower rod in the laboratories of pharmaceuticals giant Eli Lilly, US officials were quick to announce that the death could not be linked to a new anti-depressant drug she was helping to test.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]During her stay at the hotel-***-clinic in Indiana known as the Lilly Lab, Johnson had been taking part in trials for a secret new formula called Cymbalta, a chemical cousin of Prozac, which the company hoped would guarantee huge profits for years to come.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1][/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]For the drugs giant, her death on 7 February last year was an "isolated tragedy" that did not prevent it from pressing ahead with the Cymbalta trials. It is now on sale in the US and - under another name - in Europe and the UK.[/SIZE] Now sold in Canada as well.[SIZE=+1][/SIZE] Read the rest ...(This young womans death never even got recorded for anything..) Woman Commits Suicide While Testing New Antidepressant Was Traci Johnson Driven To Suicide By Antidepressants? That's A Trade Secret, Say US Officials

Woman Commits Suicide While Testing New Antidepressant Was Traci Johnson Driven To Suicide By Antidepressants? That's A Trade Secret, Say US Officials

is the link for the above story

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
THE TIME TIMES

This is a little dramatic, but if one knows anything about children being given vaccines without parental consent, doctors “firing” patients that won’t accept vaccines, our government’s experimentation on innocent people (search for Dept of Energy human radiation experiments) and police showing up at the homes of those who oppose vaccinating their children, one would understand why this isn’t complete “crazy talk.” UNENUMERATED RIGHTS. We have to stand up for them.

FDA Admits to Killing 100,000 (US) People A Year, Why Are We Okay With This?

Imagine the FDA is approving five different brands of cookies that they know kill 100,000 people a year and cause health problems in over 2 million people a year. Would we allow them to continue to approve those cookies? Would we feed those cookies to our children? Would we insist on charges of involuntary manslaughter for the FDA’s approval of killer cookies? I don’t think we would tolerate such unethical, hazardous practices, and I don’t think we would consume those products. Yet here we sit in silence, letting the Food and Drug Administration(FDA), who is responsible for the approval of drugs sold to the public (that’s YOU and I), knowingly approve harmful products that kill 100,000 people every year and cause over 2 million serious adverse health effects a year, and continue to allow such products to be legally sold to the American people without question or punishment. And the FDA may move some prescription drugs to over the counter status, further pushing the American people towards a society that is completely stuck in a permanent, apathetic Soma haze. Maybe there is a reason conventional western medicine, or allopathic medicine, mainly focuses on treating symptoms rather than finding and understanding the cause of the ailment. This monopolization of health care has produced an enormous, highly lucrative market…that kills 100,000 people a year. Alarming sign: It has already been suggested that statins be put in U.S. drinking water. fdainformation.com: