Traces of horse meat leads Nestle to recall of some products

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Traces of horse meat leads Nestle to recall of some products | China National News

Edition 0804/11China National News http://www.chinanationalnews.com9:10 AM Wednesday 20 February 2013
China News Breaking International News Breaking Business News Macau News Beijing News Hong Kong News
Shanghai News Breaking Health News Engineering News Property News China News Asia Editorials News

Traces of horsemeat leads Nestle to recall of some products
China National News Tuesday 19th February, 2013

• World's biggest food producer clears shelves in Spain and Italy
• Pasta meals made with beef withdrawn from sale in Europe
• Food giant last week claimed its products were unaffected by horsemeat scandal
ZURICH, Switzerland - Nestle, the world's biggest food company, has said it was withdrawing some beef pasta meals from Italy, Spain and France after finding traces of horse meat in them.
This is the latest in Europe's growing horse-meat scandal pulling in one after the other food companies.
The news has come embarrassing for the Swiss-based giant, because just last week Nestle insisted its products had not been affected by the scandal.
It said that tests carried out found more than one per cent horse DNA in two products.
"We have informed the authorities accordingly," Nestle said in a statement. "There is no food safety issue."
Horsemeat has been discovered in products labeled as beef in several European countries, sparking product recalls and consumer anger.
The scandal started in Ireland last month, when authorities there found horsemeat in some beef burgers sold in large UK supermarket chains, but it has now swept across Europe.
Supermarkets in the U.K., France, Germany and Switzerland, including British retail giant Tesco have withdrawn millions of products.
Nestle said it has withdrawn two chilled pasta products, Buitoni Beef Ravioli and Beef Tortellini, in Italy and Spain.
Lasagnes a la Bolognaise Gourmandes, a frozen product for catering businesses produced in France, has also been withdrawn.
Nestle however insisted that none of its products on sale in Britain are affected.
It said deliveries of all its finished products using beef supplied by a German firm, H.J. Schypke, a subcontractor of one of its suppliers, JBS Toledo NV, was also being suspended.
The decision was made after traces of horse DNA were found in two products supplied by H.J. Schypke, Nestle said.
"We stress that the H.J. Schypke Meat Company has at no time purchased horse meat," said the company, which added it was now working with the authorities to resolve the situation.
"We want to apologize to consumers and reassure them that the actions being taken to deal with this issue will result in higher standards and enhanced traceability."
Nestle Chief Executive Paul Bulcke last week said the entire food industry had been affected by the horsemeat scandal.
"It has affected us because the whole food and beverage industry is in question again," he said.
"This is bad for so many people working hard to give safe and good food."
Horse isn't unsafe but there are concerns about hormones and drugs in horses passing into the human food chain.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Nestle Chief Executive Paul Bulcke last week said the entire food industry had been affected by the horsemeat scandal.
"It has affected us because the whole food and beverage industry is in question again," he said.
As it should be, and certainly more so than it is.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Aha! Nestle wouldn't tell me if "Imported by..." meant from China. Poor Dezel.... No more Beggin strips
if that is Dezel, he is adorable and deserves only the best... I would rather pay more and give less... at least we know what they are eating. I buy only Canadian produced cat food. Her coat is amazing and her weight remains at ten pounds.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Aha! Nestle wouldn't tell me if "Imported by..." meant from China. Poor Dezel.... No more Beggin strips
We stopped feeding Daisey processed dog food, now we feed her raw chicken or lamb and steamed rice.

It's actually cheaper, she eats less, healthier and stopped getting ear infections.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
We stopped feeding Daisey processed dog food, now we feed her raw chicken or lamb and steamed rice.

It's actually cheaper, she eats less, healthier and stopped getting ear infections.
Is that the barf diet?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
BARF It stands for Bones and raw meaty food. You can even buy it now already put together at some pet stores.
Ahhh.

Gotchya.

I don't know why anyone would buy it premade, it's already almost as easy as pouring dry food out of a bag.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Ahhh.

Gotchya.

I don't know why anyone would buy it premade, it's already almost as easy as pouring dry food out of a bag.
Well being a germaphobe I'm not good at handling tons of raw meat. lol

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Soap, warm water and hum a nursery rhyme. We've been handling raw meat and fish for years, we've never had a problem.
I agree, I think it's a phobia...lol...plus I am not a huge meat eater any more...just enough to get my protein other than that, meh, I could pass.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hey lone wolf , from your avatars picture I can see that the evolution " is for real ". ( smile)
Yeah.... Dezel is far more civilized and good-natured than some of the trolls in here

I won't give Dezel raw anything. Taste of blood easily turns to the taste for livestock - and worms. He gets a lot of cooked moose....

if that is Dezel, he is adorable and deserves only the best... I would rather pay more and give less... at least we know what they are eating. I buy only Canadian produced cat food. Her coat is amazing and her weight remains at ten pounds.
He's my brown clown - better'n a paid-up gym membership. He nags. It's been good for my life....

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
It sounds a lot worse than it is when you haven't been to Europe. I can buy horse meat at my neighbourhood grocery store or butcher.

In Canada, it would be like them recalling cans of ravioli because there was some pork in them. Still bad, but, meh.

Well being a germaphobe I'm not good at handling tons of raw meat. lol

Boy, you don't want to eat the steaks I cook then...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It sounds a lot worse than it is when you haven't been to Europe. I can buy horse meat at my neighbourhood grocery store or butcher.

In Canada, it would be like them recalling cans of ravioli because there was some pork in them. Still bad, but, meh.

The bad part, to me, is that what they say is in it, isn't. It's something else. Then I automatically go to "What else aren't they telling me?".

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Have you ever tried it?

It's like dog meat, and some wild game, it raises your body temp.

Filipino buddy of mine calls dog "Hot meat".

Boy, you don't want to eat the steaks I cook then...
I just wipe the cows *** and walk it over the fire. Are you that bad?

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Have you ever tried it?

It's like dog meat, and some wild game, it raises your body temp.

Filipino buddy of mine calls dog "Hot meat".

I just wipe the cows *** and walk it over the fire. Are you that bad?

Apparently, in Spain, when things taste like crap, they say it tastes like dog. They apparently had to eat dog around the time of the second world war, when they were having their various civil problems, from what I was told.

We seem to cook beef to the same degree then. What can I say? We like the taste of meat in my family.

The bad part, to me, is that what they say is in it, isn't. It's something else. Then I automatically go to "What else aren't they telling me?".

Yes. That is definitely the bad part. If it had been pork, they also would have had to make the recall due to strict European labeling laws. Recall the pink slime debacle in the USA? That's the creepy sort of thing, where it is legal to do such nonsense.