How Many People Report Adverse Reactions Of A Prescription Drug?

no more drugs

Electoral Member
Jan 21, 2013
Over the years, many of us have either received prescriptions for, or heard of different prescription drugs.

With every drug there are what is known as "Adverse Reactions" which are associated with all prescriptions.

A quick definition of Adverse Reaction is..

" An adverse drug reaction (abbreviated ADR) is an expression that describes harm associated with the use of given medications at a normal dosage during normal use."

ADRs become known by the initial study where a minority will experience something (very nasty) which is less than the majority.....These harmful "experiences" become what are known as ADR's which are not very transparent or forthcoming with the drug packaging or the hand out you receive along with the drug.

You have to ask the pharmacist to orally read them from their "CPS" manual. (or checking the drug manufacturers website on the net)

I am wondering this.. if we arent given a list, and we dont know what the ADR's are (of a drug we are taking).. how would we know that we are experiencing an ADR?

If we do somehow know we are in fact experiencing an ADR, does the average person report it?

If so, who is reported to?

In some quick research I found that "ADR's" are determined in initial studies where the experience gets classed as "RARE"..

The only way the "RARE" gets upgraded to be proven more common than "RARE" is by reported incidences to Health Canada.

If reports arent received by Health Canada, the ADR remains written as "RARE"..

If one does report the incident to their doc or pharmacist, it is up to the discretion of the doc or pharmacist whether or not they will take the time and complete the form and send it in... They use their discretion as to whether or not they feel 100 percent certain as to whether or not the drug is 100 percent responsible for what the person experienced.

I asked about 10 people that I know, (normal everyday, contributing members of society people ) if they would know how to report an ADR... none of them knew and most agreed that they probably wouldnt bother...... (some said they might call their pharmacist..)

I did find out that a person can report the ADR themself at:( listed below.....)

It is alarming to me that ADR's (which can be extremely serious) especially ones like loss of reality, suicidal and homicidal ideation) are being assessed for the most part, by having to depend on people reporting it, and a third party (doc or pharmacist) writing it up and sending it in, (based on their own discretion...) when doctors receive kickbacks/insentives for giving out the drug and pharmacists proft for their dispensary fees)

It makes me wonder how "RARE" many ADR's really are...

Also, I wonder how many people would be able to report suicidal/homicidal ideation, if they were also experiencing "loss of reality"..?

If a person was experiencing such crazy thoughts... how many would report it? Would they be afraid too? Would they have unwarranted shame/guilt/fear? (especially people who were not told these thoughts can occur)

In researching antidepressanst and antipsychotics, I really wonder how RARE many ADR's really are? (Mostly the adrs that state people can become fascinated/obsessed with suicidal/homicidal)

Its no wonder much of society holds the belief that these type of drugs are safe for themselves, their kids and the elderly...

I would encourage anyone to report ADR's on their own, to ensure it gets somewhere so that effectiveness and safety is accurate.

Canada Vigilance Program
Marketed Health Products Safety and Effectiveness Information Bureau
Marketed Health Products Directorate
Health Products and Food Branch
Health Canada
Address Locator 0701E
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0K9
E-mail: CanadaVigilance@hc-sc.gc.ca
Telephone: 613-957-0337
Facsimile: 613-957-0335
Teletypewriter: 1-800-267-1245 (Health Canada)

Contact Us - Canada Vigilance Program - Health Canada

no more drugs

Electoral Member
Jan 21, 2013
The smart people do, the stupid people do not.

It is really that simple!

Hi Medic,

I am not sure I agree with that... There are many smart, normal, good every day people.. If one of these good smart people were suffering the noted adverse reaction "loss of reality" how would they know ?

Dont you wonder if a normal, good smart person who was starting to feel suicidal ideation would avoid reporting it altogether?

If we look at the case of the Colorado Shooter, James Holmes (who had been put on a regime of antidepressanst and antipsychotics had alledgedly reported his homicidal ideation to his psychiatrist 5 weeks before his massacre..

A recent lawsuit alledges the psychiatrist (Lynn Fenton) didnt tell the right people about his homicidal ideation (which is an adverse reaction to antidepressanst and antipsychotics) ........ (assuming she was intelligent along with the shooter himself..

I guess we cant bank on smart people sharing adverse reactions to drugs so how do we know they are RARE???

Snipped from CNN

"On June 11 -- more than five weeks before the shooting -- James Holmes told psychiatrist Lynn Fenton that "he fantasized about killing a lot of people," the lawsuit says."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/15/justice/colorado-theater-shooting-lawsuit

no more drugs

Electoral Member
Jan 21, 2013
Sadly, the serious (hidden) issue of adverse reactions going under reported isnt going to change anytime soon....

snippet....

"Health Canada said discussions with the provinces and health associations supported the creation of a hospital-based side-effect reporting standard instead of a “legislative requirement.”

However, many medical professionals say the federal government should change the law to make side-effect reporting mandatory.

“What I’ve said for most of my professional life is when there is a suspicion of an important reaction, it should be mandatory for the person who observed it to report it,” Dr. Jacques Gagné, former dean of the University of Montreal’s faculty of pharmacy, told the Star in 2012.

“I think the system is improving from what it was. Nevertheless, it’s still not mandatory. The reports that we get, I think they are important, but to what extent are they a reflection of the reality?”

Star gets action: Health Canada announces new standard for reporting side effects | Toronto Star

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
How about keeping your one trick pony in one thread?
lol One of our daughters got her pancake one morning. She managed to get the jar of jam open. Next thing we know there was jam on the knife, jam on the pancake, jam on the outside of the jar, jam on the kid, jam on the plate, jam on the table, etc. Probably even had jam on the dog. She was 2 or 3 yrs old and was "growing up" according to her. :D