Answer To A Healthy Heart Puts Big Pharma In A Fix

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
The mainstream has been trying to sell cholesterol as one of the biggest threats to our health.

For the past 30 years, the medical mainstream and Big Pharma focused on lowering cholesterol to ridiculously low levels with side effect ridden blockbuster statin drugs like Lipitor. All in an effort to save the world from heart disease.

Now it looks like things might change... But don't expect jubilation. The mainstream might have a solution to preventing heart disease, but they don't know how to turn it into a drug yet.

Right under their noses

In their latest quest to replace Lipitor with another stupendous blockbuster drug, Big Pharma scientists have focused on HDL "good" cholesterol because supposedly it undoes the work of LDL "bad" cholesterol.

I say 'supposedly' because while Big Pharma has been working day and night to develop HDL-boosting drugs, they did find that these drugs work in as much as driving up HDL levels. BUT clinical trials show that higher HDL levels have no effect in preventing heart attacks or heart disease... So really, there would be no point in developing these new drugs.

This conundrum has drug makers pulling at their hair. Research clearly links high HDL levels to healthy hearts, but when drugs are used successfully to raise HDL… there's no effect. It's like they have been duped by the human body.

However, one clever Mayo Clinic cardiologist figured it out. In a recent Wall St. Journal article he revealed the answer, which has been in plain sight for decades, when he said "But maybe it was the exercise that did it, or the not smoking that did it."

Right on the money! It's not the high HDL itself that's good for your heart. It's the heart-healthy things YOU DO that just happen to also push up the HDL.

Imagine that!

Another cardiologist told WSJ that we should "Pay at least as much attention to nutrition as we do to drugs."

Wow. Now there's an archaic concept! Nutrition might play a role in heart health? Who knew!?

But look what these two guys stumbled upon. It's the golden door to heart health.

* Don't smoke
* Exercise
* Eat a proper diet

Sadly, for Big Pharma, you cannot turn this into a pill. Of course, that won't keep Big Pharma from business as usual.

Dr. Roger Newton is the chief science officer of Esperion, a drug development company. Their claim to fame is that they first synthesized the active ingredient in Lipitor.

These days, Esperion is working on an HDL-boosting drug. But Dr. Newton told WSJ something startling. At first, I could hardly believe what I was reading. He said that his company is now focusing "most of our energies and finances" on a new LDL-lowering medicine.

Amazing. Big Pharma is still in complete denial.___________________________________

Daily Health eAlert

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
It was the promise of the 50s: better living through chemistry! Now go take your medicine china!

yes what they failed to tell us was that WE control our own body chemistry by what we put into it.

Another cardiologist told WSJ that we should "Pay at least as much attention to nutrition as we do to drugs."

Wow. Now there's an archaic concept! Nutrition might play a role in heart health? Who knew!?

But look what these two guys stumbled upon. It's the golden door to heart health.

* Don't smoke
* Exercise
* Eat a proper diet

Nice article China. It would appear from our obese society that most don't believe it....even when they know it's true... they just dismiss it until they are in big trouble health wise. And even then.... here's the shocker for me... When someone has a huge health event: diet compliance falls after 3 months to less than 10%. so in other words, after someone's body has warned them they need to change, most still will not do it, even though they know they are killing themselves.

It's beyond bizarre. Then again, I know I have my days too, and too many of them truth be told. Where's the jam for the toast...lol.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Has anyone ever stopped to think that big pharma is a product of us, not the other way around.

Even when everyone knows what they have to do to be healthy, they rarely follow through with it.

Drinking, smoking, eating carcinogenic foods, sitting in front of computers, driving a pollution spewing vehicle everywhere, buying toxic products to spray around our homes.

We want simple lazy fixes, plain and simple. And we built and industry to try to give them to us.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The doctors don't prescribe cholesterol lowering drugs on a whim. That's a farce. Most people have bodies that can handle the cholesterol in their diet. Heck your body needs it; it's the backbone to many compounds your body assembles. Testosterone??? As you get older though, your body can start to wear out, and your cholesterol can get sky high even when you eat sensibly. Then it becomes a problem. The same is true for blood pressure/hypertension. It's a consequence of getting older and not dying at the age of 40 anymore.

Anyone who thinks that this can be avoided solely by eating well and including lots of dietary fibre, that exercising and avoiding known behaviours that contribute to these problems can stop them all, would be as wrong as someone who says all cholesterol is bad.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
When did we die at forty after enjoying a lifetime of good food and rewarding work? My great grandparents both lived into their mid nineties on good simple food and and meaningful hard work.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
When did we die at forty after enjoying a lifetime of good food and rewarding work?

Early Modern Europe. Those countries that haven't developed as much, where people die from infectious diseases, today.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The doctors don't prescribe cholesterol lowering drugs on a whim. That's a farce. Most people have bodies that can handle the cholesterol in their diet. Heck your body needs it; it's the backbone to many compounds your body assembles. Testosterone??? As you get older though, your body can start to wear out, and your cholesterol can get sky high even when you eat sensibly. Then it becomes a problem. The same is true for blood pressure/hypertension. It's a consequence of getting older and not dying at the age of 40 anymore.

Anyone who thinks that this can be avoided solely by eating well and including lots of dietary fibre, that exercising and avoiding known behaviours that contribute to these problems can stop them all, would be as wrong as someone who says all cholesterol is bad.
True enough. And one must add familial conditions into the equation; diet and exercise will not help there either. But for many situations they definitely will help. People are too quick to take a pill (the easy way out) instead of seeking other solutions which require an effort or restrictions on their part. I think that is what the article is getting at. They don't prescribe them on a whim but people find it easier to swallow a pill than haul their butt out for a walk or to the gym.

In every case without question longevity is a factor of hygene good food and exercise. Early modern European industrial centers were notorious for their want in those vitals.
Geneology counts too... longevity can be inherited. it's a combination

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In every case without question longevity is a factor of hygene good food and exercise. Early modern European industrial centers were notorious for their want in those vitals.

Right, though perhaps you missed the part about people who eat well and exercise daily and still have these problems. Like I said, a lot of the chronic diseases we see today are part of living longer. There's no question that poor lifestyles contribute. I never said they didn't. Just that it's not as simple as the simple minded would have you think.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
True enough. And one must add familial conditions into the equation; diet and exercise will not help there either. But for many situations they definitely will help. People are too quick to take a pill (the easy way out) instead of seeking other solutions which require an effort or restrictions on their part. I think that is what the article is getting at. They don't prescribe them on a whim but people find it easier to swallow a pill than haul their butt out for a walk or to the gym.

Geneology counts too... longevity can be inherited. it's a combination

Jenetics I think you said. Maybe, I guess, that's what they say, no I have to disagree. We only inherit longevity from vegetables and meat and good hygene.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Jenetics I think you said. Maybe, I guess, that's what they say, no I have to disagree. We only inherit longevity from vegetables and meat and good hygene.
I don't know beav...my friends mum just passed on at 94, still living in her own home...she could pound down more food than some guys, and had her own little idea about what kept her healthy, if I ate like her with my heredity, I'd be dead already.

but she was active for sure...took up bowling at 90 and joined a team for a couple of years...did volunteer work...apparently social contact and feeling loved and supported is a factor too