china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
WORLD / SOCIAL ISSUES
Polish is the No. 2 language in England and Wales; Punjabi, Urdu next
AFP-JIJI
FEB 1, 2013 PRINT SHARE
LONDON – Polish is the second-most-spoken language in England and Wales, new figures from the 2011 census revealed on Wednesday, followed by Punjabi and Urdu.

Over 92 percent of residents spoke English as their main language, and the majority of the rest spoke it well, although 138,000 residents — fewer than half of 1 percent — did not speak English at all, the Office for National Statistics said.

One percent of the population, or 546,000 people, listed Polish as their main language, a reflection of the wave of Eastern European migrants who moved to Britain after the enlargement of the European Union in 2004.

The news came a day after former Prime Minister Tony Blair was given an award by Polish business leaders for opening up the British labor market to Poland while in office from 1997 to 2007.

Polish speakers were concentrated in London, which unsurprisingly had the highest proportion of nonnative English speakers. Twenty-two percent, or 1.7 million people, listed a main language other than English in the capital.

The figures are likely to fuel a row over immigration from Bulgaria and Romania as the British government prepares for the lifting of controls on new EU arrivals at the end of the year.

Nationwide, Punjabi was the third-most-spoken language, spoken by 273,000 people, or half of 1 percent. Punjabi is concentrated in the West Midlands.

Urdu was in fourth place, spoken by 269,000 people, followed by Bengali (221,000), Gujarati (213,000), Arabic (159,000), French (147,000), Chinese (141,000) and Portuguese (133,000).

The next 10 most popular languages are Spanish, Tamil, Turkish, Italian, Somali, Lithuanian, German, Farsi, Tagalog and Romanian.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Too many English people in Poland .........." go to China " .....you hear .(smile)

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
During WWII it was the primary language heard in downtown Racine, WI. Those were people fleeing a war and an attempt to exterminate all of them. Not just confined to the Jews but everyone. In my city we had English, Dutch, French and Belgian childern being raised in US homes in an effort to shield them from the ravages of a devastating war. I attended Elementary school with several of them who really couldn't belive just how open this society was compared to their homeland. I think most were returned to their families after the war damage restorations were completed.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
During WWII it was the primary language heard in downtown Racine, WI. Those were people fleeing a war and an attempt to exterminate all of them. Not just confined to the Jews but everyone. In my city we had English, Dutch, French and Belgian childern being raised in US homes in an effort to shield them from the ravages of a devastating war. I attended Elementary school with several of them who really couldn't belive just how open this society was compared to their homeland. I think most were returned to their families after the war damage restorations were completed.

What class were they from working middle or other?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'd rather Polish was the No2 language in England and Wales than Arabic, Gujarati or Urdu...... or even Welsh.

How are you: Jak się masz

I'm fine, thanks. And you?: Bardzo dobrze, dziękuję. A Pan(i)?

I speak English: Mówię po angielsku

I want to meet an interesting woman: Chcę poznać interesującą kobietę

I like listening to music: Lubię słuchać muzyki

I like meeting new people: Lubię spotykać nowych ludzi

Here's a suitable one for any Pole in England:

Have a cup of tea: Napij się herbaty

Great, thanks!: Wspaniale, dzięki!

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
I think you lied about your age Walcio.

I'd rather Polish was the No2 language in England and Wales than Arabic, Gujarati or Urdu...... or even Welsh.

How are you: Jak się masz

I'm fine, thanks. And you?: Bardzo dobrze, dziękuję. A Pan(i)?

I speak English: Mówię po angielsku

I want to meet an interesting woman: Chcę poznać interesującą kobietę

I like listening to music: Lubię słuchać muzyki

I like meeting new people: Lubię spotykać nowych ludzi

Here's a suitable one for any Pole in England:

Have a cup of tea: Napij się herbaty

Great, thanks!: Wspaniale, dzięki!
Are you learning Polish or something .