Good Bye Penny

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Adios amigo!

Retailers prepare to round prices up or down as penny disappears.

Local businesses in Regina were free to start rounding their prices up or down to the nearest nickel starting Monday, after the Royal Canadian Mint officially stopped distributing the copper coins.

Pat Bohn, who owns a Brandee's convenience store, started taking the guess work out of rounding up; changing prices of items at the store weeks ago, so that with taxes, they end with a zero or five. But not everything can round perfectly-- for example Brandees needs to take the hit on the one-cent tax when they sell a few five cent candies. She says the business will lose a bit on small items like that but most customers are happy to get rid of the penny.

She says re-pricing is a hefty task that will be a gradual change.

Brett Jameson, who works at Sunshine and Ski, says they're ahead of the game.

"The past little while the till has been short of pennies. I can't remember the last time we went and picked up a roll so we've been rounding up or rounding down for the past couple of weeks here. We found more often than not we say 'sorry man, we don't have any pennies in the till' and I can't remember the last time someone had a problem with getting their pennies."

Meanwhile, Bohn stocked up on 50 penny rolls on her last trip to the bank. She is worried she'll run out, and plans to keep giving exact change until that happens.

But so far there has been no shortage of pennies. Earlier on Sunday the cashier had received a handful of penny rolls to pay for a purchase.

She replied "oh yeah, we'll accept pennies" when asked if they will continue to take them.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have a growing pile of pennies on my dresser. That the pile is growing means
that I'm getting more pennies back than I'm giving out. I think pennies will be around
for a good while yet.
I assume the penny will continue to be legal tender.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
$1.41 in full copper pennies is worth $3.05. $5.65 in nickels is worth $10 at scrap value.

I have a 20L pail 3/4 full of copper pennies and another 1/2 full of full nickel nickels dimes and quarters.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
i was told that was illegal to melt the coins down.....?

Doesn' t look like coins now does it?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Vermiculite and masonry cement makes for an awesome refractory for home made crucibles and a few simple pipe fittings and a BBQ propane reg. easily make burners. ;)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Penny dress takes a lot of cents

ROB MCCORMICK, QMI Agency

First posted: Monday, February 04, 2013 10:52 PM EST | Updated: Monday, February 04, 2013 11:11 PM EST

PETERBOROUGH, ONT. - For local artist Heidi den Hartog, the penny dropped about six weeks ago.
That’s when she decided what she wanted to make for Saturday’s third annual Wearable Art Show, a fundraiser for Public Energy, a non-profit organization that promotes dance, art and artists in the community.
“I went to last year’s show and had friends who were part of it,” she said. “It was a great show … interesting, over the top and creative, so as an artist, it was right up my alley.”
The penny dress was a natural fit for den Hartog, a copper-and-enamel artist.
“I work with copper anyway, so I thought it was a good marriage,” she said.
About 2,000 pennies went into the creation, which will be modelled by den Hartog’s daughter, Sophia Darling, 21, at Saturday’s show.
Den Hartog doesn’t know how much the dress weighs, “but it’s really heavy,” Darling said.
“After a while it feels like I’m wearing a corset. And when you take it off, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted.”
Den Hartog’s dress is not a memorial to the penny: It is mere coincidence that the ensemble will make its debut in the same week that the Canadian Mint stopped distributing the one-cent coin, which it did Monday.
Still, she confesses to having some affection for the lowly tender.
“I know there are people out there who are penny haters,” she said. “They are anti-penny and they throw them away. I’m not one of those.”
rob.mccormick@sunmedia.ca

Peterborough artist Heidi den Hartog works on a dress she made of pennies Monday, Feb. 4 at her home in Peterborough. (QMI Agency/ROB MCCORMICK)

Penny dress takes a lot of cents | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Does this mean the price at the pump will always be like $1.15.9 (=$1.20)?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Nope, I will always gas up to the nearest mill. I have cut pennies into tenths to make it easier at the filling station.

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Does this mean the price at the pump will always be like $1.15.9 (=$1.20)?
Nooooooooooo, it's government - "you know, for the people by the people".

Has anyone seen those floors make with pennies....I love them...