POLL: Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

Should a Grade 12 Education Be Mandatory?

• Ya

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Nah

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes? No?

Voice your pros and cons.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a world where you can pay $2.02 for a $1.27 item and get an even 75 cents back without being told it will "screw up the till"?

YES and higher standards to Graduate!!!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes? No?

Voice your pros and cons.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to live in a world where you can pay $2.02 for a $1.27 item and get an even 75 cents back without being told it will "screw up the till"?

A grade twelve education can't force people's brains to work a certain way. All it can do is make them pass tests, but if they don't want to know the curriculum, they won't once they've finished writing said tests.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Often I give .02 extra to round it and after long though and grinding wheels I wind up with an extra $.10 cents back or something. Of course, those are the bright ones that don't hear me say or ignore me saying 'I think I have 2 cents' and just punch in the $20 I have already given them.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I voted 'nah' because you can't force a person to pass a grade. You can mandate compulsory education for a specified age group. For instance, you could say education is compulsory between the ages of X and Y; beyond that, you can't guarantee that they'll reach grade Z.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A grade twelve education can't force people's brains to work a certain way. All it can do is make them pass tests, but if they don't want to know the curriculum, they won't once they've finished writing said tests.
A good point but as counter point there are kids who are never taught how to learn. Education can be fine tuned to fit a child's learning style and children (adults too) can be taught how to learn using the best style that suits them.

I voted 'nah' because you can't force a person to pass a grade. You can mandate compulsory education for a specified age group. For instance, you could say education is compulsory between the ages of X and Y; beyond that, you can't guarantee that they'll reach grade Z.
Call it a proficiency level and don't tie a person down who can achieve more faster than another.

If a child can knock off that level by age 14 let them do it. If it takes other's longer so be it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The reason I voted yes is with the provision that society provide an education system that
is interesting to people. Students by the time they get to grade twelve are young adults and
not children anymore. The reason many leave and we had two grand kids that did was due
to the fact the programs offered were boring as hell . Not a case of poor babies, if you think
how many jobs did you leave before you found one that you liked?
Both these young fellows did get their grade twelve and both are doing extremely well in the
trades. One is a carpenter the other at 26 is an electrician with all his tickets residential,
commercial and industrial.
The whole thing is teachers treat them like children instead of responsible adults. In some
prison systems inmates have to complete grade twelve. this is a good policy
Its not about forcing young people to do something its more about older people inspiring the
young to want to do their best.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Often I give .02 extra to round it and after long though and grinding wheels I wind up with an extra $.10 cents back or something. Of course, those are the bright ones that don't hear me say or ignore me saying 'I think I have 2 cents' and just punch in the $20 I have already given them.
Most businesses have smart registers that register the total, the amount paid in and calculates the change that any dummy can operate.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It's sad when you need to explain how $2.02 rounds it off and how the till still balances. That's Grade 4 at the max.

The 24hr clock seems to baffle people as well. Why?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If a child can knock off that level by age 14 let them do it. If it takes other's longer so be it.

Agreed on that. While I recognize different abilities, we could say that each child should get the best education possible during his compulsory years, and depending on his ability, we teach each the skills they'll need before they reach the age of maturity. If he's really smart, you teach him astrophysics. If not, you teach him whatever he could be good at. And let's not look down on anyone as long as tehy do their best.

But, no point teaching astrophysics to someone who would rather learn something else.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
For brain surgering I would think yes, for digging post holes a guy might get by with grade 11.

How would you propose to do that with someone with the I.Q. of a stump?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Agreed on that. While I recognize different abilities, we could say that each child should get the best education possible during his compulsory years, and depending on his ability, we teach each the skills they'll need before they reach the age of maturity. If he's really smart, you teach him astrophysics. If not, you teach him whatever he could be good at. And let's not look down on anyone as long as tehy do their best.

But, no point teaching astrophysics to someone who would rather learn something else.

What the numbers say
For years Scott Murray crunched numbers on illiteracy and administered two major international surveys at Statistics Canada. And what his numbers say is that Canada's situation is particularly shameful when you look at the two worst categories:
  • Nearly 15 per cent of Canadians can't understand the writing on simple medicine labels such as on an Aspirin bottle, a failing that could seriously limit the ability of a parent, for example, to determine the dangers for a child.
  • An additional 27 per cent can't figure out simple information like the warnings on a hazardous materials sheet, the kinds of warning that set out workplace dangers such as risks to the eyes and skin.
In total, 42 per cent of Canadians are semi-illiterate. The proportion is even worse for those in middle age. And even when new immigrants are excluded, the numbers remains pretty much the same.
That's horrid. WTF is wrong?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There are too many factors aligned against any improvement in education results in the western world. The first and foremost being the design of the bankers who have spent the last hundred years getting us this stupid. We will get a lot dumber before any improvements are initiated or noticed. Of course I support higher education initiatives such as direct hands on tactile work place educations preferred the world over from time immemorial. is that the right word? No body can learn while disconnected from nature. That's why they stuffed us in square rooms in the first place, to break us and our bond with nature. The windows were designed to torture inquisitive young minds and turn us into switch trippin rats. Every school should be attached to a functioning farm and iron works and every subject should be fully explored with hands minds and noses. We've paid billions in taxes to have our brains destroyed by synthetic education.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For brain surgering I would think yes, for digging post holes a guy might get by with grade 11.

How would you propose to do that with someone with the I.Q. of a stump?
What have we been doing with stumps all along?

Our education system is run by people more interested in their pension than in passing on knowlege
Bring back the nuns and miserable war brides.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007