New Gun That Allows Cops to Shoot and Capture Your DNA

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
A new tool that would allow law enforcement to prevent criminals from running away or disappearing into a crowd before arrest was highlighted last week at The SHOT Show in Las Vegas.
The High Velocity DNA Tagging system by the U.K.-based security company Selectamark was introduced with police officers in a riot situation in mind. Coming in both pistol and rifle form, the tool would allow police to remain 30 to 40 meters from the target and tag them with a SelectaDNA High Velocity pellet that contains a unique DNA code to ensure the correct person is apprehended later. Check Out the New Gun That Allows Cops to Shoot and Capture Your DNA | Video | TheBlaze.com

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A new tool that would allow law enforcement to prevent criminals from running away or disappearing into a crowd before arrest was highlighted last week at The SHOT Show in Las Vegas.
The High Velocity DNA Tagging system by the U.K.-based security company Selectamark was introduced with police officers in a riot situation in mind. Coming in both pistol and rifle form, the tool would allow police to remain 30 to 40 meters from the target and tag them with a SelectaDNA High Velocity pellet that contains a unique DNA code to ensure the correct person is apprehended later. Check Out the New Gun That Allows Cops to Shoot and Capture Your DNA | Video | TheBlaze.com

Those have been around for years, all you had to do was collect the blood!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Tranquilizer darts!!! They'd drop like bear in a garbage dump.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Chemicals like copper, lead and iron? What's the difference?

It would have to be something really sh*tty to come down from.

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
I would imagine the police will have just as much fun abusing this tool , In the name of public safety As they did when the tazers first came out.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Reverse *********** tazers eh?

Hmm.. Interesting.

Ejac*lation is censored? woah.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In the UK they have a substantial DNA database - When DNA is found at a crime site - no exact matches with the database they then look for the closest types in the DB. So a relative - father is on file- they can find his brother - his sons - his cousins etc. Narrows down the search.
Time is not far away where DNA samples will be mandatory.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
I have a problem with this because it implies that I might be deemed guilty of an offense simply if an officer with poor aim manages to hit me instead of the guy next to me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What a misleading title. They're tagging you with OTHER dna, and an ultraviolet paint, not taking your dna. Scary stuff. The only way that will help them identify you days down the road is if the dna actually binds with your own in some way.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I have a problem with this because it implies that I might be deemed guilty of an offense simply if an officer with poor aim manages to hit me instead of the guy next to me.
So what's new? Just getting nabbed by cops then fingerprinted and whatnot before you even see a courtroom automatically implies guilt.
But anyway, so the cop with bad aim says he/she missed the one they were trying to shoot.

What a misleading title. They're tagging you with OTHER dna, and an ultraviolet paint, not taking your dna. Scary stuff. The only way that will help them identify you days down the road is if the dna actually binds with your own in some way.
That DNA would enter your bloodstream and eventually end up in all the organs, including skin and even in the hair. It would stay in some of those places in a person for quite a while. So if they manage to get the perp's blood, spit or whatever and find the alien DNA that matches the one they shot, the perp's as good as nabbed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That DNA would enter your bloodstream and eventually end up in all the organs, including skin and even in the hair. It would stay in some of those places in a person for quite a while.

considering that having a child can cause permanent microchimeraism in women, and blood transfusions can cause it as well, I'd assume that if they're that eager to get this out there, it may be more insistent than merely staying in organs a while.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
But anyway, so the cop with bad aim says he/she missed the one they were trying to shoot.

But Mounties always get their man.

That DNA would enter your bloodstream and eventually end up in all the organs, including skin and even in the hair. It would stay in some of those places in a person for quite a while. So if they manage to get the perp's blood, spit or whatever and find the alien DNA that matches the one they shot, the perp's as good as nabbed.

wow, I thought only the dyes in Koolaid could do that.