Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Neither Are Offensive

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
1. These are Jews, a culture synonymous with swindlers. The phrase ‘Jew’ and ‘cheater’ have been so interchangeable historically that they have entered the English language as a verb. ‘He jewed me!’ Well the Jews have jewed us too. And [Jews] come here [to Canada] to jew us again, to rob us blind, as they have done in Europe for centuries.They’re Jews. And one of the central characteristics of that culture is that their chief economy is theft and begging.”

2. These are gypsies, a culture synonymous with swindlers. The phrase gypsy and cheater have been so interchangeable historically that the word has entered the English language as a verb: he gypped me. Well the gypsies have gypped us. Too many have come here as false refugees. And they come here to gyp us again and rob us blind as they have done in Europe for centuries … They’re gypsies. And one of the central characteristics of that culture is that their chief economy is theft and begging.”

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Before I can answer this poll, I need to know what Jason Kenny, minister of immigration and who's a good citizen, declares.
If he rules against the Roma, then I have to go along with him. After all, if the Roma are evil-doers, one would be too many!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Both are stereotypes. Neither is offensive to me at least because I think stereotypes are rather stupid and I don't take offense either easily or often.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If you're neither Jewish nor Roma, what's to care? Personally, I wonder what the Germans thought...

Not quite what I meant.

Both statements are stereotypes but neither is worth attributing the energy of being insulted over them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So what's your beef Pete?

If you're neither Jewish nor Roma, what's to care? Personally, I wonder what the Germans thought...
That they were both sub human.

How many on this Forum have been up close with Roma Gangs??
I had a Romani/Cossack neighbour for a while.

His family migrated from the Ukraine. Mother was Romani, Father a Cossack.

Family get together's were apparently tense but lively.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why, when I was a kid...

You mean, be dismissive of the person who holds these stereotypes?

I don't know if you can or should be completely dismissive of a person, although if that's all one person offers over time I suppose one would. But definitely be dismissive of the statements themselves.

Point out the stereotype for those who are merely demonstrating their ignorance (lessons may be learned) and move on. Getting riled over someone else's stupidity seems like a waste of time to me.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Condemning a group regardless of who they are is nonsense. Its like saying all Scots
are cheap, or all Irish are bad tempered drunks. We have to adopt a policy of looking
at individuals when it comes to immigration for example and use the rules to dictate
how things work.

1 regardless of where you come from no paper work you don't get in.

2 the people investigating must do their job to ensure bad people don't
get into Canada if they do the person who didn't do their job is responsible
and should be held to account

3 Anyone getting Canadian citizenship and did it fraudulently should be
stripped of citizenship and deported.

4 When immigration is granted it is for the person applying, family members
who can qualify may apply on their own, family unification should not be
an automatic pass period.

5 yes we are an open society but citizens who already have citizenship and
pay for the essence of government have the right to protection from bad
people no matter where they are from be it America or Iraq.

If we have the principle of individual rights then all those coming here or all those
living here must be held to the same standard. No one should be singled out
with a stereotype either.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I don't know if you can or should be completely dismissive of a person, although if that's all one person offers over time I suppose one would. But definitely be dismissive of the statements themselves.

Point out the stereotype for those who are merely demonstrating their ignorance (lessons may be learned) and move on. Getting riled over someone else's stupidity seems like a waste of time to me.

True, as long as they don't hold positions of influence or power, there are just simply ignorant.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
True, as long as they don't hold positions of influence or power, there are just simply ignorant.

And then getting irate and personally offended makes sense?

Don't misunderstand I'm not advocating we don't hold people accountable for what they say. I think if anyone knows anything about me, they know I strongly advocate holding people to task for the crap they spew.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
“You cannot pass a law just for your own team,” he says. “If we want freedom of speech, it’s the one gift that we have to give to our opponents.”

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I see both as offensive because people are sponge-like and they absorb information. If you keep telling someone something for long enough, they start to believe it. And it does spread especially if given the right environment/climate.

After 9/11 all Muslims were terrorists to many. I am fairly open minded and I had to check some of the thoughts flying through my head. If people have not been taught to question themselves and examine information fed to them, something said repeatedly becomes truth. Think of the speakers used in N Korea. The word is powerful because it is our thought and that leads to our action.