There's Absolutely Nothing Wrong With Our Justice System

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The forgotten 'nip-tipping' victim shocked at appeal attempt

TORONTO - Charles Hogan is the forgotten victim.
He was one of two passengers ejected from a car as Trevor Middleton used his pickup truck to run a group of Asian-Canadian anglers and their friends off a dark country road more than five years ago. Shayne Berwick was propelled through the windshield and left severely brain damaged. His pal was more fortunate. Hogan went through the rear window and landed in the chilly waters of Lake Simcoe.
“They say I flew 40 feet into the lake,” recalls Hogan, 27, who suffered injuries to his head, neck and spine, as well as hypothermia. “I was out cold. I remember my friend pounding on my chest. He said I was in the water, floating away.
“When he woke me up, I didn’t know where I was. All I kept saying was, ‘Where’s Shayne, where’s Shayne?’”
Berwick, now 28, has been the face of this senseless tragedy. The former apprentice electrician now has the mental capacity of a three-year-old and requires 24-hour care. But he’s not the only one who bears the scars from that September night.
In many ways, Hogan wishes that he was the one left with no memory. Instead, he remembers everything leading up to the racist attack and, more painfully, he recalls the healthy, vibrant person he used to be. “My life is so messed up. I can’t work, I can’t do the things I love to do anymore. I have no life,” he says.
And the man responsible? Middleton, a former motocross racer, was convicted in 2009 on two counts of criminal negligence causing bodily harm and four counts of aggravated assault and received a jail term of just two years less a day. While the Crown argued it was “manifestly unfit,” the Ontario Court of Appeal refused to increase his sentence.
The Georgina man got off easy — but not easy enough, it seems. Still not satisfied, he wants to appeal his conviction to the Supreme Court of Canada. A decision as to whether he’ll be given leave to argue his case is expected Thursday.
Middleton may get another chance at putting this all behind him. If only his victims were as lucky.
Hogan remains haunted by his role that night. It was his idea to head to the blue bridge at Mossington Park. “We were bored of playing poker,” he recalls. “I said, ‘Let’s go fishing, I know of a good place.’ To this day, I feel like it’s my fault.”
They were soon confronted by three truckloads of local hoodlums who demanded to see their fishing licences. Someone in the group had said, “We’re going nip-tipping” — referring to frequent attacks on Asian-Canadian anglers. Both Hogan and his friend Ruo Hang Liu, 24, were then pushed into the water.
A fight ensued and one of the locals was injured. The Toronto friends tried to take off — one car got away but the Honda Civic, with Liu driving and Berwick and Hogan in the back seat, was slammed 20 times before it careened off the road. “He says it’s not his fault, he was just trying to make a citizen’s arrest,” scoffs Hogan. “Well, if you were, you would have stayed there and waited for police.”
Instead, Middleton drove away and left Hogan in the water and Berwick broken and in a coma.
Now Hogan can’t believe the man who ruined two lives has the nerve to appeal his conviction. “The justice system is such a joke,” he complains bitterly. “It’s not fair. He gets to walk soon just because he didn’t have a criminal record? Because he did some community service hours? Is he going to do some community service for Shayne?”
Left with chronic back pain that cost him his longtime job with the City of Toronto, Hogan now subsists on painkillers and anger that he can’t play any of the sports he used to love. He’s gained 100 pounds, has endless money woes and is crippled by depression. Because of one man’s racist stupidity, he has lost so much — including his close friend.
“I can’t visit Shayne,” Hogan admits, choking back his tears. “It hurts too much.”

The forgotten 'nip-tipping' victim shocked at appeal attempt | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Two years less a day. And he has the nerve to appeal it. Vain, arrogant little racist dirtbag.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I think a more fitting sentence would have been 50% of his earnings for life to care for those he injured and 8 hours a day, every day, for life caring for those he injured.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think a more fitting sentence would have been 50% of his earnings for life to care for those he injured and 8 hours a day, every day, for life caring for those he injured.

I'm sure the family of the young man with the severe ABI would appreciate the assistance.

Can appeals increase sentences? I would love him to appeal and they turn it into 20 years.

That would also be sweet.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The problem is, just because it is called a justice system doesn't mean it is. What we have is a self perpetrating law industry. They let real criminals back on the street so they can re-offend and be processed through the system again generating more revenue for lawyers and judges. Mean while, those convicted of minor crimes languish in jail to feed the prison system. The media and police make it sound like there is non stop violence in the streets so the people scream for more law and order to justify swelling the police ranks. The situation is beyond absurd and yet people are so scared they are willing to give up freedom for security that does not exist.
If you liked 1984, you'll love 2013.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I know Trev, I know his dad. Neither impress me much, but the fact remains, the media has spun this into a BS nightmare from the get go.

No body acted intelligent in this case, nobody.

To paint Hogan and company like they didn't contribute to this idiocy, is pure BS.

I hope Trev gets his second day in Court, if only to see the truth come to light in the public eye. I equally hope the media would actually report on the facts and not the hype.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The forgotten 'nip-tipping' victim shocked at appeal attempt
The Georgina man got off easy — but not easy enough, it seems. Still not satisfied, he wants to appeal his conviction to the Supreme Court of Canada. A decision as to whether he’ll be given leave to argue his case is expected Thursday.
Idiot's pushing the river. The SC may very well upend the previous decisions and crucify the moron.

Now Hogan can’t believe the man who ruined two lives has the nerve to appeal his conviction. “The justice system is such a joke,” he complains bitterly. “It’s not fair. He gets to walk soon just because he didn’t have a criminal record? Because he did some community service hours? Is he going to do some community service for Shayne?”[/quote] The system isn't the problem. The problem is that people (including judges) abuse or misuse it.

Left with chronic back pain that cost him his longtime job with the City of Toronto, Hogan now subsists on painkillers and anger that he can’t play any of the sports he used to love. He’s gained 100 pounds, has endless money woes and is crippled by depression. Because of one man’s racist stupidity, he has lost so much — including his close friend.
“I can’t visit Shayne,” Hogan admits, choking back his tears. “It hurts too much.”

The forgotten 'nip-tipping' victim shocked at appeal attempt | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun
Damned sad affair.

Two years less a day. And he has the nerve to appeal it. Vain, arrogant little racist dirtbag.
<-- understatement.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know Trev, I know his dad. Neither impress me much, but the fact remains, the media has spun this into a BS nightmare from the get go.

To paint Hogan and company like they didn't contribute to this idiocy, is pure BS.

I hope Trev gets his second day in Court, if only to see the truth come to light in the public eye. I equally hope the media would actually report on the facts and not the hype.

Regardless of how much blame you can assign to the other party in the basic altercation, he got two years less a day and given the injuries sustained by the other party, I'd say he should consider himself damned lucky.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Regardless of how much blame you can assign to the other party in the basic altercation, he got two years less a day and given the injuries sustained by the other party, I'd say he should consider himself damned lucky.
If you pick a fight with me and bring a weapon, it shouldn't matter if you have to wait to pass it or have it surgically removed when I'm done with you.

That aside...

I think the sentence was fair, considering the results of his actions.

I'd just like to see some justice served on those that are equally culpable. Even if it's just on paper.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If you pick a fight with me and bring a weapon, it shouldn't matter if you have to wait to pass it or have it surgically removed when I'm done with you.

I'm not dumb enough to pick a fight with you and even if I was, I handle my weapons admirably. ;)

That aside...

Fair meaning not worthy of further reduction? To the best of my knowledge, he rammed them from behind after giving chase. Now I don't know what went on prior to that but unless he had been severely brutalized I can see how what he did can be justified.

I'd just like to see some justice served on those that are equally culpable. Even if it's just on paper.

I'm operating based on what has been reported. If there was culpability on the other side and it was negated/not presented in court, maybe there was a reason for that? I don't know.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
So the idiot didn't ram a car full of people 18 times and run it off the road on purpose?
Yep, those pesky 'nips' should have stayed there and taken their beatings like men instead of trying to get away from the situation. :roll:
Please do explain how they contributed?
I hope so too....I hope the SC overturns the sentence and gives him 10-20 years which is the minimum you should get for attempted murder using a vehicle with mitigating factors of racist, hate crimes.
Sure thing...if you can put it there with a .45 slug in your brain have at it.
One person disabled for life requiring 24 hour care and another with chronic injuries for life not to mention the trauma to anyone else involved is only worth a deuce-less to you. You are one seriously f*cked-up individual. You do work in the court system? No wonder so many native kids are screwed-up. It ain;t the white man's fault it is morons like you that think a slap on the wrist and a stern warning is alo that is required.
Just who else besides the idiot doing the ramming & running off the road is culpable. Are you gonna say the victims forced him to do it. Reason says the incident was over but he chose to continue it rather that go
the other way. There is no excuse! Nobody was in any imminent danger (other than the victims) so he is guilty as can be and should have the book tossed at him as the racist motherf*cker he is.

To the best of my knowledge, he rammed them from behind after giving chase. Now I don't know what went on prior to that but unless he had been severely brutalized I can see how what he did can be justified.

Even that doesn't justify it in our system or society. Once the other car left he had NO just cause to chase it or ram it under any circumstance other than protecting himself or others from imminent, life threatening danger which was obviously not the case.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Media spinning stuff into a BS nightmare !!!8O Say it isn't so. Really hard to believe.:roll:

Happens allatime,

We had a murder in our swamp a few years ago and the "media" reported on the sorry state of the houses in the neighbourhood. They also had a semi retarded women say "sh it happens" on camera. Nice.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yep, those pesky 'nips' should have stayed there and taken their beatings like men instead of trying to get away from the situation.
There was only one Asian in the group.

Please do explain how they contributed?
They assaulted a member of Trev's group.

I hope so too....I hope the SC overturns the sentence and gives him 10-20 years which is the minimum you should get for attempted murder using a vehicle with mitigating factors of racist, hate crimes.
It comes as no surprise that you run on simple emotion and almost zero facts.

You share much in common with Trev.

Way to go.

Sure thing...if you can put it there with a .45 slug in your brain have at it.
Yer such a tuffy.

You are one seriously f*cked-up individual.
If by ****ed you mean informed, yes.

You do work in the court system?
Some, which is why I make your posts look stupid when you start babbling about the law.

It ain;t the white man's fault it is morons like you that think a slap on the wrist and a stern warning is alo that is required.
I don't think that about all offences. Only ones that that would be applicable too.

But then again, I rely on facts and clear thinking, you, not so much.

Just who else besides the idiot doing the ramming & running off the road is culpable.
The other party to the conflict. If you had all the facts, you'd know that.

But don't let that stop you from embarrassing yourself.

Please.

There is no excuse!
That's the first and only intelligent thing you've said.

I'm surprised you said it.

Once the other car left he had NO just cause to chase it or ram it under any circumstance other than protecting himself or others from imminent, life threatening danger which was obviously not the case.
Was it?

Maybe you should turn off the comp for a while. Your prolonged melt down and continued tantrum is seriously hampering your cognitive skills.

Media spinning stuff into a BS nightmare !!!8O Say it isn't so. Really hard to believe.:roll:

Happens allatime,

We had a murder in our swamp a few years ago and the "media" reported on the sorry state of the houses in the neighbourhood. They also had a semi retarded women say "sh it happens" on camera. Nice.
Don't tell me, tell PN, he seems to think he knows everything, he learned all that from the media.

Hence the idiotic posts. Well, that and his prolonged melt down and tantrum.

Last edited:

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Face it. Your buddy had no right or due authority to give chase and no right or authority to ram another vehicle. He should have had the book thrown at him and the key to his cell tossed away. I would have pushed for attempted murder because that is what it amounts to.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Face it. Your buddy...
Lets start with that stupid statement...

I know Trev, I know his dad. Neither impress me much...
I know you aren't very bright, so I'll break that down for you, so you might be able to understand it better.

I know Trev and his father. We live in a small town, it's not a big surprise. Neither impresses me. My buddies, impress me in some way.

I can understand how someone as emotional, violent and ignorant as yourself may not have the luxury of being picky about who they call buddy. But I don't have that problem.

Thus, he isn't my buddy.

... had no right or due authority to give chase and no right or authority to ram another vehicle.
Again, I realize you aren't very bright, so I'll explain this...

There is no excuse!

That's the first and only intelligent thing you've said.

Means that I agree with you.

Perhaps you should take my advice, shut off the comp, go outside get some fresh air, calm down.

When you're over your tantrum, finished your melt down and able to think as clear as you can possibly muster, come back and try again.

He should have had the book thrown at him and the key to his cell tossed away.
Geez, you sound like those crazy law abusing cops you cry and whine about all the time.

I would have pushed for attempted murder because that is what it amounts to.
No doubt. You've never struck me as someone that relies on facts.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
You seem to be confused. You agree he had no excuse for for his actions which resulted in maiming one person and destroying the life of another completely but you think the sentence he received of 2 years less a day was too severe. What would you have preferred? A few hours community service and a fine? Really, the punishment should have some reflection on the severity of the damage inflicted. That is why we have Vehicular Manslaughter charges instead of just DUI. A drunk smashes another car by accident and kills somebody and they get federal time (5 years or more), this guy all but kills someone (death would have been a blessing IMO) on purpose and you think his sentence is too harsh. You need to get a grip on reality. If he has no excuse and no right or lawful authority then he got off light and you should just accept that instead of making excuses for him. . I'm sure your feelings would be different if your little cooter or your wife was the one maimed and almost brain dead for life.

Last edited by a moderator: