US Government: World Will Not End on December 21, 2012

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The United States government has taken to the blogosphere to reassure nervous citizens that the world is not going to end on December 21st.

Ironically, Washington chose to use the Internet to spread the message that Internet rumors should be taken with a grain of salt.

“False rumors about the end of the world in 2012 have been commonplace on the Internet for some time,” USA.gov, the US government’s official web portal, said in a blog post published on Monday. “Many of the rumors involve the Mayan calendar ending in 2012 (it won’t), a comet causing catastrophic effects (definitely not), a hidden planet sneaking up and colliding with us (no and no), and many others.”

“Unfortunately, these rumors have many people frightened, especially children. NASA has received thousands of letters concerned about the end of the world. David Morrison, a planetary astronomer and senior scientist for NASA who answers questions from the public about astrobiology, says, ‘At least once a week I get a message from a young person– as young as 11– who says they are ill/and or contemplating suicide because of the coming doomsday,” the government blog continues.

With an entry titled “Beyond 2012: Why the World Won’t End,” NASA’s website has also addressed the most popular doomsday rumors. These include the well-debunked Mayan calendar ‘prophecy,’ adverse planetary alignments, the Nibiru hoax, magnetic polar shift, solar storms, meteor or comet strikes, and “total blackout.”

“The world will not end in 2012,” NASA’s web page states. “Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.”

“December 21, 2012 won’t be the end of the world as we know, however, it will be another winter solstice,” NASA adds with a hint of humor.

The United States isn’t the only nation whose government has tried to reassure its citizens that the world will still be here in 2013. In Russia, some citizens have reacted with panic as December 21 nears, prompting the country’s minister of emergency situations to declare over the weekend that the world is not going to end anytime soon.

This is the second time this year that the US government has officially denied the threat of apocalyptic scenarios that seem straight out of science fiction or horror movies. In June, the Centers for Disease Control denied the existence of zombies during a wave of grisly, cannibalistic crimes.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Tagged 12/21/12 end of the world, comet strike 2012, david morrison nasa, december 21 2012, end of the world, government denies existence of zombies, mayan calendar 2012, mayan prophecy, mayan prophecy debunked, meteor strike 2012, nasa 2012 end of the world, nibiru, planetary alignment 2012, polar shift 2012, solar storms 2012, total blackout 2012, u.s. government says world not ending in 2012, will the world end in 2012?, will the world end on december 21?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
If anything catastrophic happened (out of the scenarios offered) it'd likely be a celestial body (1 km or less; the big ones are easily detected) thumping our little planet here.

"According to one expert scenario, there is a 10 percent chance that a 70-meter (230-foot) asteroid will impact Earth in our lifetime, striking with an energy of 10 megatons, equivalent to 700 Hiroshima-size atomic bombs." - Undetectable Asteroids Could Destroy Cities - Experts

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I am relieved that the US government can predict the future while ridiculing those who purport to predict the future.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
If anything catastrophic happened (out of the scenarios offered) it'd likely be a celestial body (1 km or less; the big ones are easily detected) thumping our little planet here.

"According to one expert scenario, there is a 10 percent chance that a 70-meter (230-foot) asteroid will impact Earth in our lifetime, striking with an energy of 10 megatons, equivalent to 700 Hiroshima-size atomic bombs." - Undetectable Asteroids Could Destroy Cities - Experts

Hey Les, that's all the more reason to send as much money to me as you can - immediately.

Myself, and team of highly qualified catastrophic prevention prayer peeps will work feverishly 'round the clock to make sure that this doesn't happen.

We're here to help you and your family - but we can't do it alone!

Give 'til it hurts.

Telethon to follow

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
The only thing I am sure of Dec 21st, is it will officially be winter.. and I will be another dam year older.

LOL the Government reassuring the people.. I guess they are worried about a run on the banks, or people doing like the The Heaven's Gate group.. taking an early exit, or maybe just general panic...

Just 2 weeks to go... woOt!! Party Time!!!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hey Les, that's all the more reason to send as much money to me as you can - immediately.
You got it all the last time a doomsday was predicted remember?

Myself, and team of highly qualified catastrophic prevention prayer peeps will work feverishly 'round the clock to make sure that this doesn't happen.

We're here to help you and your family - but we can't do it alone!

Give 'til it hurts.

Telethon to follow
:D Good luck!

I am relieved that the US government can predict the future while ridiculing those who purport to predict the future.
lol Good point.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

The 100 year average. We're due.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Apparently I'm going to die in an alien attack launched from Mars.

REGINA — Without warning, an alien bomb launched from Mars has landed on Regina and destroyed everything in its path — paving the way for the city to be rebuilt from scratch.

Well, not really.

But that is the scenario in Marvel Comics’ new edition of The Avengers comic released on Wednesday.

“We’re trying to spread the love around, even if the love is crazy bombs from space,” said Tom Brevoort, senior vice-president and executive editor at Marvel Publishing, explaining why Regina along with Perth, Australia, were targeted for destruction in the comic.

The story begins with Ex Nihilo, a gold-coloured, horned alien creature, launching two origin bombs from Mars at Earth, striking the two cities.

In response, the Avengers — Captain America, the Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow — fly to Mars to confront Ex Nihilo and “avenge” the attack.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

REGINA — Without warning, an alien bomb launched from Mars has landed on Regina and destroyed everything in its path — paving the way for the city to be rebuilt from scratch.

Well, not really.

But that is the scenario in Marvel Comics’ new edition of The Avengers comic released on Wednesday.

“We’re trying to spread the love around, even if the love is crazy bombs from space,” said Tom Brevoort, senior vice-president and executive editor at Marvel Publishing, explaining why Regina along with Perth, Australia, were targeted for destruction in the comic.

The story begins with Ex Nihilo, a gold-coloured, horned alien creature, launching two origin bombs from Mars at Earth, striking the two cities.

In response, the Avengers — Captain America, the Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye and Black Widow — fly to Mars to confront Ex Nihilo and “avenge” the attack.

I heard it was all planned by Marvin the Martian, tho, which is why you're probably still posting here instead of being cosmic dust. :D

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's amazing just how much the US Government is playing this up?? Why?

U.S. government insists 2012 apocalypse is a myth - CBS News

[youtube]ce0N3TEcFw0[/youtube]

I feel like a good movie this weekend..

I love in the movie when the guy say; "when the government tell you not to run, that is when you RUN!!"

So the government coming and reassuring the public there will be no event on the 21st of December is not very reassuring.. LOL

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Well, not really.

Then where will we get *****s and hockey players?