Man fighting government over ticket he tried to pay

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A Gretna, MB., man says his wages were withheld and he was hounded by a collection agency over a speeding ticket he actually tried to pay three times.

Bill Turner's troubles started with a $354 speeding ticket on Nov. 8, 2011. Turner said when he called in to pay right after getting the ticket, he was told the offence wasn't recorded.

He said he heard the same response twice more over the next six weeks.

In October, Turner received a letter stating he now owed $494 for the ticket.

A collection agency started calling up to three times a day to claim a now $1,340 tab, once insurance and registration costs factored in. A judge refused to overturn the ticket.

QMI Agency

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A Gretna, MB., man says his wages were withheld and he was hounded by a collection agency over a speeding ticket he actually tried to pay three times.

Bill Turner's troubles started with a $354 speeding ticket on Nov. 8, 2011. Turner said when he called in to pay right after getting the ticket, he was told the offence wasn't recorded.

He said he heard the same response twice more over the next six weeks.

In October, Turner received a letter stating he now owed $494 for the ticket.

A collection agency started calling up to three times a day to claim a now $1,340 tab, once insurance and registration costs factored in. A judge refused to overturn the ticket.

QMI Agency

That's bureaucracy for you!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They will get their $1,340.00 for sure. The Collection Agency already paid his ticket so they can have rights to that fine.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Rule of thumb. NEVER pay a ticket until the court date which you will always attend. it's 50/50 whether the cop who issued the ticket shows up. If he/she doesn't, you're off the hook.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Rule of thumb. NEVER pay a ticket until the court date which you will always attend. it's 50/50 whether the cop who issued the ticket shows up. If he/she doesn't, you're off the hook.

Wouldn't a responsible citizen pay the ticket whether the cop shows up or not? LOL

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If he/she does, you could end up paying fines and being watched for what he/she DIDN'T ticket you for.

Geez.... I still get harassed for an Ontario Student Loan that's been stats barred three and a half times over since the date of my on the job accident (while in the Province's employ, by the way) If Manitoba bill collectors are half as deceitful and vicious as their Ontarian counterparts, he'll find it easier to shake off a pit bull.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

In Massachusetts they have a cop assigned to the Traffic Courts for the first hearing. He's basically there to say his bother/sister officer was right in giving the ticket. Meaning one cop will be there all day answering for all of the department's tickets so individual cops don't have to show. If you appeal again then the officer who ticketed you will have to show up.

I got one ticket in my life and I appealed it. The "Cop of the Day" suggested a reduction in the fine and the judge threw the ticket out. Phew!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In Massachusetts they have a cop assigned to the Traffic Courts for the first hearing. He's basically there to say his bother/sister officer was right in giving the ticket. Meaning one cop will be there all day answering for all of the department's tickets so individual cops don't have to show. If you appeal again then the officer who ticketed you will have to show up.

I got one ticket in my life and I appealed it. The "Cop of the Day" suggested a reduction in the fine and the judge threw the ticket out. Phew!

It's work there too? Good!

Thanks to lazy cops not showing up I've saved a fortune in fines over the years and have maintained my 20% safe driver discount on insurance.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Technically a responsible citizen wouldn't have sped in the first place.

In a perfect world, but it's been 2000 years since anyone was perfect!

Thanks to lazy cops not showing up I've saved a fortune in fines over the years and have maintained my 20% safe driver discount on insurance.

So you admit to being a hazard on the road. LOL

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Well the state of Massachusetts wants their pound of flesh so one cop will answer for them all in the first hearing. They figure if you wear the public down they'll just pay it. At the time I was an hourly employee so I missed a half a day. That was worth it for the $100 ticket and the thousands in surcharges it would have cost over the years. Moving violations are gifts that keep on giving in the US.