Going green after death

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Going green after death

Saskatchewan has adopted a new, greener burial method. Will the ‘ick factor’ keep it from catching on?

By Emily Senger | Maclean's – 11 hours ago

When a loved one dies there are usually two options: burial or cremation. Saskatchewan has added a third to the list that’s been billed as a greener way to dispose of the dead. For those wanting to keep track of their environmental impact into the afterlife, the carbon footprint of the process is 90 per cent less than that of flame cremation. And no chemicals are released into the air.
The procedure, called alkaline hydrolysis, uses a machine to immerse the body in a solution of water and an alkaline chemical—otherwise known as lye. The water is heated and machines add pressure. Over two to 12 hours the body disintegrates, leaving behind two by-products: bone fragments, similar to the ashes from flame cremation, and a sterile liquid solution, which, if the local municipality permits, can be flushed down the drain.
While the Funeral and Cremation Services Council of Saskatchewan has approved alkaline hydrolysis, no one has installed a machine yet, says chairman Todd Lumbard. “People don’t know much about it, so they’re not demanding it,” he says. There’s also the question of the “ick factor,” as one Saskatchewan funeral director told CTV News.

A common criticism is that pouring the liquid remains into a sewer system is disrespectful and could pose a health hazard. But proponents point out the resulting liquid solution is treated and harmless, and can alternatively be used as garden fertilizer. Also, cremation was once illegal and widely considered taboo until the 1970s.
While the process hasn’t caught on in Canada, some funeral homes in the United States offer alkaline hydrolysis. Mark Riposta, a funeral director who owns three funeral homes in Maine, installed an alkaline hydrolysis unit in March and plans to add another. While these systems cost three times as much as a flame cremation unit, the cost per use is lower, and Riposta sees the environmental benefits as something that will change the industry over the next decade. “People are afraid of the unknown,” he says. “When they have a chance to actually see that the cremated remains are exactly the same as the cremated remains that come out of flame, only there’s none of the greenhouse gases, or environmental impact, it’s amazing. I’m not a tree hugger, but this is the right way to do this.”
Suzanne Scott, executive director of the Funeral Services Association of Canada, is cautious. Options exist for customers to minimize their environmental footprint, such as caskets made using only organic material, and “green” cemeteries that don’t use grave markers. There is also the problem of getting municipal permits for the new process. “What ends up going down into the sewer, and how is that handled?” asks Scott. “Each individual region has to deal with that.”

Going green after death - Yahoo! News Canada

So far I've been leaning towards cremation but, meh, I'd consider it as an option. Don't know about the 'pouring down the drain' part though. Blech.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Going green after death
So far I've been leaning towards cremation but, meh, I'd consider it as an option. Don't know about the 'pouring down the drain' part though. Blech.
I like the idea of using the remains as fertilizer though. At least put back something into the earth.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Options exist for customers to minimize their environmental footprint, such as caskets made using only organic material, and “green” cemeteries that don’t use grave markers.

I saw this on HBO's Six Feet Under. Nate was buried naturally. Simply wrapped in a shroud and buried. No embalming. Poetic as he was a funeral director.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I saw this on HBO's Six Feet Under. Nate was buried naturally. Simply wrapped in a shroud and buried. No embalming. Poetic as he was a funeral director.

I saw that too. (excellent show by the way.)

This process involves a machine to turn the body into liquid first, or something like that. Probably one of those things best not to know too much about. ;)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thats neat. There are quite a few ways one can get rid of a body. I've heard that some people have used cremains turned into an artificial diamond. Its pretty expensive though.

I'm just donating my body to medical research. I was going to do cremation til I read about the research thing. There's no point in having it burned or buried if it can be useful to someone. So it helps people, doesn't cost a dime and has virtually no impact on the environment.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hats off to Larry...

Hagman told the (New York) Times that after death he wanted his remains to be "spread over a field and have marijuana and wheat planted and harvest it in a couple of years and then have a big marijuana cake, enough for 200 to 300 people. People would eat a little of Larry." - Awesome!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Thats neat. There are quite a few ways one can get rid of a body. I've heard that some people have used cremains turned into an artificial diamond. Its pretty expensive though.

I'm just donating my body to medical research. I was going to do cremation til I read about the research thing. There's no point in having it burned or buried if it can be useful to someone. So it helps people, doesn't cost a dime and has virtually no impact on the environment.
Does the pension fund that covers funerals then give the money saved to surviving relatives?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

And they make money off your parts - many do not know that.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Personally, I would rather not be embalmed, and be buried under a Rose garden. At least my organic chemicals would serve a useful purpose.

Of course, I want any parts of my body that someone else can use harvested first.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Personally, I would rather not be embalmed, and be buried under a Rose garden. At least my organic chemicals would serve a useful purpose.

Of course, I want any parts of my body that someone else can use harvested first.
Who would want the parts of an old wreck..:lol:

Last edited:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Does the pension fund that covers funerals then give the money saved to surviving relatives?

Possibly. My grandmother got more money than she needed for my grandfather's funeral and just kept the rest.

And they make money off your parts - many do not know that.

Indeed there is that risk. I don't really care though as I'll be dead and not using them. If someone makes a buck off of it and someone else gets what they need it wont bother me. Dead bodies don't really mean much to me. The thing that made them important is gone once the person is dead.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
IMO it was one of the best TV series and by many accounts the series finale and final scene was the best ever ending put together. Ending a series is difficult to get right but anyone who was a fan of the show knows the writers got this ending right. I don't know how they could have done it any better.

Final Six Minutes of the Six Feet Under Series Finale - YouTube

I concur! One of the best if not the best TV series ever.

I bought the DVD set a few years back, maybe two or three years ago, when they were on sale. I think they've spent a grand total of three months in my possession in that time, everybody wants to borrow it!

Quite a few ways to get rid of a body eh? I'm bookmarking that for future use.

You're cool with panicked out of the blue midnight calls for help right? ;)

Lol.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Don't they return your body once they are done with it to your next of kin for disposal?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Another 'option' they mention in the article is donating your body to the Body Farm.

Kind of neat. You could be helping to solve crimes in the afterlife.