What is the meaning of the name 'Obama'?

B00Mer
+1

"Obama" is a name from the Luo ethnic group of southwestern Kenya, where Barack Obama, Sr. was born. It was originally the given name of Barack Obama's great-grandfather. It is based on the Luo (technically, Dholuo, the name of the language of the Luo) word bam, which means "crooked, slightly bending."

The prefix O- means "he," and many Luo male names begin with it. Since most traditional Luo names were given by the baby's mother referring to something about the child's birth, the best guess is that when Obama's great-grandfather was born, one of his arms or legs looked slightly bent. Email rumors have charged that U.S. President Barack Obama is a practing Muslim -- a rumor that has since been proven false. However, President Obama does have an unusual name, which reflects his African Muslim heritage. He was reportedly named after his father, Barack Hussein Obama, Sr.
The president's first name, Barack, is a Swahili name that has its origins in Arabic. The original Arabic root of the name (B-R-K) means "blessed." In Arabic, the root word is used in many other phrases to denote blessings and to describe people who are blessed:

• Mabruk! = "Congratulations!"
  • Barakallah feek = "May God bless you"
  • Barakah = blessings from God (feminine version of the name)

Obama's middle name is Hussein, which was his grandfather's first name. The name, of Arabic origin, means "good" or "handsome one." It is common in Muslim cultures for children (both boys and girls) to have a middle name, which directly connects them to their father or grandfather.
Obama's surname is not uncommon among the Luo tribe, one of the three largest ethnic groups in Kenya. They speak the Dhoulou language.

What is the meaning of the name 'Obama' (external - login to view)

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by B00MerView Post

"Obama" is a name from the Luo ethnic group of southwestern Kenya, where Barack Obama, Sr. was born. It was originally the given name of Barack Obama's great-grandfather. It is based on the Luo (technically, Dholuo, the name of the language of the Luo) word bam, which means "crooked, slightly bending."

What is the meaning of the name 'Obama' (external - login to view)

Which has what to do with what? What's Willard's name mean?

tay
+9 / -1
#3  Top Rated Post
The name Obama means Romney Beater in English

Rise and Shine: The International Front Pages The Obama Diary (external - login to view)

Just the Facts
Quote: Originally Posted by tayView Post

Rise and Shine: The International Front Pages The Obama Diary (external - login to view)

Ooooo, I think both Ann and Michelle may have a shock learning that.

Angstrom

The name Obama means Romney Beater in English [/URL]

And would you believe some folks actually thought Romney had a chance HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Corduroy
+1

lone wolf
One shouldn't drink of the wine of his own sour grapes

taxslave
+1
I heard that Obama translates into great ruler.

petros
What does your last name mean Boner?

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

What does your last name mean Boner?

Now, you are getting cheeky! LOL

In Between Man
As Homer Simpson once exclaimed "But listen to the music! He's evil!"

WHAT IS IN A NAME - REALLY - Barack Hussein Obama - YouTube

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

As Homer Simpson once exclaimed "But listen to the music! He's evil!"

WHAT IS IN A NAME - REALLY - Barack Hussein Obama - YouTube

I can't help thinking about Yukon Jack always referring to the full name like................Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

In Between Man
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I can't help thinking about Yukon Jack always referring to the full name like................Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

I miss YJ...

gopher
+1
meaning of Willard = brave, valiant, strong

Strange name for a draft dodger.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

I miss YJ...

Yep, he was a prince compared to some of the ones who've arrived since. He'd probably get on well with Teddy though. LOL

Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

meaning of Willard = brave, valiant, strong

Strange name for a draft dodger.

I think he was dodging a little draft from the money boys right after the election! LOL

PoliticalNick

The prefix O- means "he," and many Luo male names begin with it. Since most traditional Luo names were given by the baby's mother referring to something about the child's birth, the best guess is that when Obama's great-grandfather was born, one of his arms or legs looked slightly bent. Email rumors have charged that U.S. President Barack Obama is a practing Muslim -- a rumor that has since been proven false. However, President Obama does have an unusual name, which reflects his African Muslim heritage. He was reportedly named after his father, Barack Hussein Obama, Sr.
The president's first name, Barack, is a Swahili name that has its origins in Arabic. The original Arabic root of the name (B-R-K) means "blessed." In Arabic, the root word is used in many other phrases to denote blessings and to describe people who are blessed:
Mabruk! = "Congratulations!"
Barakallah feek = "May God bless you"
Barakah = blessings from God (feminine version of the...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post

petros

Yep, he was a prince compared to some of the ones who've arrived since. He'd probably get on well with Teddy though. LOL

I suspect they are one in the same.

B00Mer

Which has what to do with what? What's Willard's name mean?

Dude what's with all the negativity.. it's just Interesting.. After all, he survived a second term, very narrowly, which I am sure is a wake up call for the democrats.. nevertheless, he is still the Pres.

It's just an interesting topic..I never new the mans history.. they were talking about it on MSNBC.. he has a very interesting heritage and childhood.

BaalsTears
The name Obama means piece of shxt in all languages.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by BaalsTearsView Post

OK, I guess I missed that when I was checking synanyms for sh*t in Websters!

taxslave
+2 / -1

NAw that is the dictionary definition of a rightwingnut.

BaalsTears
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

NAw that is the dictionary definition of a rightwingnut.

You may not realize it but Canadian Content is now becoming more like an American forum because of comments directed toward fellow members designed to hurt them.

gopher

You may not realize it but Canadian Content is now becoming more like an American forum because of comments directed toward fellow members designed to hurt them.

^ that's been going on for quite a while, actually ....

---------------------

GREAT reply!

WLDB

If so it seems to be failing. I've never been hurt here. I've been amused and I've been made to reconsider things from time to time but never hurt. From what I've seen its rare that anyone gets hurt here - or if they do they don't let it show.

I'm on several "American" forums and they don't really match your description of them. Interesting.

As for names mine means 'walker of the western woods' and my room mate's is 'lover of horses' but neither describes us accurately. Its just a fun piece of trivia to look into.

Mowich

After all, he survived a second term, very narrowly, which I am sure is a wake up call for the democrats.

Well that's way cool..........so can you also tell us what happened? Did he balance the budget; get people back to work; solve CC; ............really an inquiring public would like to know.

JLM

Dude what's with all the negativity.. it's just Interesting.. After all, he survived a second term, very narrowly, which I am sure is a wake up call for the democrats.. nevertheless, he is still the Pres.

It's just an interesting topic..I never new the mans history.. they were talking about it on MSNBC.. he has a very interesting heritage and childhood.

I hear you!

PoliticalNick
Quote: Originally Posted by WLDBView Post

As for names mine means 'walker of the western woods' and my room mate's is 'lover of horses' but neither describes us accurately. Its just a fun piece of trivia to look into.

Mine means 'leader of the people', but I only intend to lead a rebellion against our corrupt govt and the bankers control of our debt-based fiat currency.