Calgary dad sentenced to 15-years for 'reign of terror'

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

By Kevin Martin, QMI Agency

CALGARY - Engaging in a “reign of terror” against his family, which included raping his teenage daughter and Tasering the family dogs, has landed a Calgary man a 15-year prison term.
Provincial court Judge Joanne Durant also noted the offender repeatedly assaulted his wife when she tried to stop his sexual abuse of their daughter, and threatened to kill the entire family.
Durant said the man’s crimes, if sentenced individually, would result in a total punishment of more than 24 years, but had to be reduced so his total term wasn’t excessive.
She said the statement of facts admitted by the dad “details what can only conservatively be described as a reign of terror by this accused over his family.”
The abuse occurred between April 1, 2006 and Dec. 27, 2011, when he raped his 14-year-old daughter at knifepoint.
“Not even the family pets were spared from (his) horrific acts of violence as he has also pleaded guilty to using a Taser energy gun on both dogs,” Durant said.

“On one occasion he Tasered one of the dogs for such an extended period of time it caused the dog to ‘scream’ while (his) young son stood by, begging him to stop,” she said.
The man had earlier pleaded guilty to multiple charges, including sexual assault with a weapon, uttering death threats, cruelty to animals and driving dangerously to flee police after his crimes were reported.
Durant said the offender’s conduct was made even more egregious by his complete lack of insight into the impact of his cruel behaviour.
The man began his criminal conduct towards his victims by repeatedly sexually assaulting the eldest of his two daughters when she was nine or 10 years old.
When the girl finally disclosed the abuse to her mother and he was confronted, “the accused threatened to kill (the mom) and all of the children ... if police were told,” Durant said.
She said a sentence at the top end of the 12- to 15-year range proposed by Crown prosecutor Frances Turner and defence counsel Mitch Stephensen was warranted.
In a letter to the court, the father, who can’t be named to protect his victims’ identities, asked Durant for mercy.
“In his letter to the court (he) asks not to be separated from his family and tells the court that is what Satan wants -- not what God wants,” the judge said.
“The fact that (he) believes that he should somehow be reunited with his family after what he has done is nothing short of delusional,” she said.

Calgary dad sentenced to 15-years for 'reign of terror' - Crime - Canoe.ca

Durant said the man’s crimes, if sentenced individually, would result in a total punishment of more than 24 years, but had to be reduced so his total term wasn’t excessive.
Um, excuse me but why the hell not??? Perhaps since his torment of his family was excessive his freaking jail term should be as well!!!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And why did this go on for 24 years Mrs Psychopath? He said he loved you?

And where does the reporter get off on calling him a dad?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
And why did this go on for 24 years Mrs Psychopath? He said he loved you?

It didn't, 24 years would have been the sum total of his incarceration should he have been tried individually. It went on for not quite six years. But yeah, I can empathize to a certain degree but if you don't protect your children, you are part of the problem.

And where does the reporter get off on calling him a dad?

That's a huge stretch isn't it? I can think of several more appropriate adjectives to describe this individual.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
It didn't, 24 years would have been the sum total of his incarceration should he have been tried individually. It went on for not quite six years. But yeah, I can empathize to a certain degree but if you don't protect your children, you are part of the problem.

That's a huge stretch isn't it? I can think of several more appropriate adjectives to describe this individual.
Still six years too many after the first incident.

He isn't a dad that's for sure. Dad is a title that is earned.

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina
I'm sickened after reading this. I think he should be locked up as a dangerous offender. He admitted to the abuse and still only recieved 15 years? Lets think this through...I'm starting to think that consecutive sentences need to be put in place. Maybe just maybe people will start to see what happens when they break the laws. An eye for an eye... There are just too many bleeding heart liberals in this country that think because he made a mistake we shoud forgive and forget. Well I think deffinately that forgiving is one thing but if you do the crime, you do the time. Thats how I was brought up.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I found this statement interesting

“Not even the family pets were spared from (his) horrific acts of violence as he has also pleaded guilty to using a Taser energy gun on both dogs,” Durant said.

Using a taser is a horrific act of violence? He should tell the cops.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
In most of the USA, this man would have received "Life without the possibility of Parole".

15 years is a ridiculous sentence. If the laws allow this, then the laws should be changed!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I don't get where the "excessive" part of doing the time for your crimes comes in. I know that concurrent sentencing is appropriate when someone is remorseful and there is possibility for rehabilitation but this guy doesn't make the grade on either count. The judge should be ashamed to give a lenient sentence to someone so obviously undeserving.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
When exactly are horrific acts of violence appropriate?

Considering the question asked was regarding your sarcasm about Police use of tasers. And yes there are times where the Polcie use was not right. But I see once again your misdirection on a question asked. The Police are just another target for you.
That was the reason for a Red.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
In most of the USA, this man would have received "Life without the possibility of Parole".

15 years is a ridiculous sentence. If the laws allow this, then the laws should be changed!

Agreed. A life sentence should mean life - not 20-25 years.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This morning at 2AM I got a call from my sister in-law. ***** beat me, come get me. Hubby #3 for her now. I don't now where she finds them but she seems to be attracted to *******s. I don't get it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This morning at 2AM I got a call from my sister in-law. ***** beat me, come get me. Hubby #3 for her now. I don't now where she finds them but she seems to be attracted to *******s. I don't get it.

Was this behavior known before she married them?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

By Kevin Martin, QMI Agency

CALGARY - Engaging in a “reign of terror” against his family, which included raping his teenage daughter and Tasering the family dogs, has landed a Calgary man a 15-year prison term.
Provincial court Judge Joanne Durant also noted the offender repeatedly assaulted his wife when she tried to stop his sexual abuse of their daughter, and threatened to kill the entire family.

48 years would be about right for that bastard. Another example of a weak kneed judge!