Calgary dad sentenced to 15-years for 'reign of terror'

CDNBear
I kind of agree with Angstrom.

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

I kind of agree with Angstrom.

....... Wait....Are you allowed to agree with me.....

Check the forum rules

I dont think your allowed to agree with me

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

That's just the problem. Justice can never be served no matter how many years the murderer spends locked up.

The best scenario out of the whole situation is if you can rehabilitate everyone back to being a good and productive citizen.

The family of the victim will forgive and move on or they will not forgive and move on. I agree that if the person is not a threat to society, why should society spend thousands of dollars per year incarcerating them? Impact on the family is irrelevant because everybody handles it differently. I know a guy that had lawn ornaments stolen from his yard a few years ago and has never gotten over it. Should the kids that took them be punished more severely because he is a drama queen?

Chris Donovan killed: Parents of teenage boy beaten to death by thugs come face-to-face with offenders | Mail Online

A mother's struggle: How to forgive son's killer | CJOnline.com

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/20...es-sons-killer

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by AngstromView Post

....... Wait....Are you allowed to agree with me.....

Check the forum rules

I dont think your allowed to agree with me

What? I believe in restorative justice and rehabilitation.

I've seen it work first hand.

karrie
+3
The Canadian justice system is based on finding the balance between justice and rehabilitation. I think it's important to remember that. But regardless, I don't think either will be served by 'making sure his sentence isn't harsh', given the crimes he committed. There are appeals and parole systems for a reason. Give him a sentence that gives his daughter some justice, and let him earn his way to early parole via rehabilitation if he can. Being a rehabilitation system doesn't mean we have to let this guy off lighter than other violent rapists, just because he was 'good' enough to keep it in the family.

lone wolf
+3
Some people seem to think it's less harmful to be betrayed by someone you're supposed to be able to trust than it is to be harmed by a complete stranger. Sort of makes one wonder about "warped"

JLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by karrieView Post

The Canadian justice system is based on finding the balance between justice and rehabilitation. I think it's important to remember that. But regardless, I don't think either will be served by 'making sure his sentence isn't harsh', given the crimes he committed. There are appeals and parole systems for a reason. Give him a sentence that gives his daughter some justice, and let him earn his way to early parole via rehabilitation if he can. Being a rehabilitation system doesn't mean we have to let this guy off lighter than other violent rapists, just because he was 'good' enough to keep it in the family.

That S.O.B. is going to take one hell of a lot of rehabillitating, if it can be done at all, which I doubt. There's an old saying- "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"-

karrie
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

That S.O.B. is going to take one hell of a lot of rehabillitating, if it can be done at all, which I doubt. There's an old saying- "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"-

Which is exactly why they shouldn't assume rehabilitation. Give a heavy sentence, allow them to shorten it with rehabilitation. That way, if they remain a risk to society, you don't have to let them out in 15 years. I can't imagine how it will impact his daughter to see him free in such a relatively short amount of time, without anything about him necessarily having changed.

JLM

Which is exactly why they shouldn't assume rehabilitation. Give a heavy sentence, allow them to shorten it with rehabilitation. That way, if they remain a risk to society, you don't have to let them out in 15 years. I can't imagine how it will impact his daughter to see him free in such a relatively short amount of time, without anything about him necessarily having changed.

Justice definitely has to "trump" rehab, the debt owed is to the victim, the perpetrator is owed absolutely nothing, except possibly an opportunity to do what HE can for HIMSELF.

Cannuck

Give a heavy sentence, allow them to shorten it with rehabilitation.

Or give them a short minimum sentence with no maximum. They can't be let out until it's deemed they are not a significant threat to society.

Goober
+2

Got a red on that one eh.

karrie
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

Or give them a short minimum sentence with no maximum. They can't be let out until it's deemed they are not a significant threat to society.

That would be an idea too yeah. Either way, it would be nice to see the system truly emphasise rehabilitation. We let them out anyway (my friend's rapist didn't even do 4 years), we may as well make sure that the overall health of society is being served.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Got a red on that one eh.

Do you think you can guess which A$$hole did it? -

Goober
+1

Do you think you can guess which A$$hole did it? -

I could take a stab in the dark. I have enough to finish painting a wall. I think that mouse stutters a lot.

JLM
+1

That would be an idea too yeah. Either way, it would be nice to see the system truly emphasise rehabilitation. We let them out anyway (my friend's rapist didn't even do 4 years), we may as well make sure that the overall health of society is being served.

For what that guy did he's damn lucky to get off with 15 years, nobody should even be thinking "rehabillitation" until he has done at least 12.

Angstrom
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

What? I believe in restorative justice and rehabilitation.

I've seen it work first hand.

Compared to other services.
I like to think, Canadian correctional services runs a very respectable gig.

Our court system is not too bad ether.

Goober
+1

I could take a stab in the dark. I have enough to finish painting a wall. I think that mouse stutters a lot.

It took you long enough for that one.

It took you long enough for that one.

Quicker this time.

canuck50
+1
JLM, Shoot the bastard, Agreed, but who wants to pay for the bullet? Let him sit in jail and we pay thru the *** to keep these id10ts in jails and for what? So they have more rights than you and I as law abiding citizens? This is really getting to the point that we need to reintroduce capital punishment. Just my thoughts

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by canuck50View Post

JLM, Shoot the bastard, Agreed, but who wants to pay for the bullet? Let him sit in jail and we pay thru the *** to keep these id10ts in jails and for what? So they have more rights than you and I as law abiding citizens? This is really getting to the point that we need to reintroduce capital punishment. Just my thoughts

I think the problem is the term capital punishment. If we changed it to "doing everybody involved a favour" it might have better traction.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I think the problem is the term capital punishment. If we changed it to "doing everybody involved a favour" it might have better traction.

Sounds good to me. I don't like capital punishment but I'm all for people doing me a favour.

Liberalman
A Calgary redneck cowboy
Last edited by Liberalman; Nov 24th, 2012 at 04:00 PM..Reason: some

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

A Calgary redneck cowboy

My cousin in Calgary worked with this guy. He's from Toronto.

Liberalman
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

My cousin in Calgary worked with this guy. He's from Toronto.

Harper is from Toronto like I said a redneck Calgary cowboy

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Harper is from Toronto like I said a redneck Calgary cowboy

LOL....You've obviously never seen a cowboy if you think this....

...is a cowboy.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Could be Cliffy, there's no doubt the term "capital" does carry the connation of money.