Gay students outed by Facebook privacy loophole


SLM
#1
Gay students outed by Facebook privacy loophole (external - login to view)

By Rhonda Callow (external - login to view)Comments (17) (external - login to view)

In a New York Times’ article (external - login to view) published on Sunday, blogger Nick Bilton talked about how social networking is eroding people’s privacy. “While it can be merely a nuisance when others put you on public view, it can have serious unintended consequences when people discover things you had intended to keep private,” he said.
It can indeed have unintended serious consequences, and it’s a fact that’s underscored by a Wall Street Journal article entitled When the Most Personal Secrets Get Outed on Facebook (external - login to view).
A couple of gay University of Texas’ students – Bobbi Duncan and Taylor McCormick – had, according to the WSJ, concealed their sexual orientation from their parents. They’d even adjusted their privacy settings in order to keep certain details private. “Once I had my Facebook settings set, I knew—or thought I knew—there wasn’t any problem,” said Duncan. How wrong she was.
Duncan and McCormick’s problems began when the president of the university’s gay choir – the Queer Chorus – added them to the choir’s Facebook group. As soon as they were added, Facebook automatically posted an update – visible in all the news feeds of their friends and family – stating that they’d been invited to join the Queer Chorus group.
The updates were seen by the students’ parents. McCormick’s father didn’t speak to him for three weeks while Duncan’s father, a member of a fundamentalist church, called her leaving angry voice mails, threatened to stop paying her car insurance and posted this message on his own Facebook page: “To all you queers. Go back to your holes and wait for GOD. Hell awaits you pervert. Good luck singing there.”


More here:Facebook privacy loophole outs students (external - login to view)


Moronic parental responses in the article aside (Honestly, how the hell can these people call themselves parents?) I have never, and will never, comprehend the popularity of Facebook. Has the term "Facebook Privacy Settings" been added to the oxymoron list yet? Because if not, it should be.


Setting aside the often brought up advice that individuals need to adjust their own privacy settings (some people in this world, sadly, would need to be instructed to breathe were it not autonomic), this program itself seems to actively work against even those that try to maintain some semblance of privacy.


Between prospective employers now requiring Facebook information for applicants and regular online trolls just looking to wreak havoc, I cannot understand why everyone seems to be so all fired up to have a Facebook page of their very own. The potential downside seems to vastly outweigh the possibility of anything positive coming out of it from my point of view. I am perplexed over it, I really am. I am a strong believer in keeping work and public 'life' separate from private. What the hell could possibly be worth the potential risks?
 
Serryah
#2
I have a Facebook but it's mostly to post up pictures I wish other people to see that otherwise wouldn't and to keep updated on friends and family. Anything that's really too personal never goes on the thing. If no one knows by now that "Privacy" and Facebook means nothing then really they need to be more net savvy.
 
TenPenny
+1
#3
Why does anyone think that anything about Facebook is private? If you don't want it to be public knowledge that you joined a Queer Choir, then don't add them to your Facebook.
 
JamesBondo
#4
. both facebook and facebook users have been screwing up for a long time. hopefully we get it right someday.
 
SLM
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Why does anyone think that anything about Facebook is private? If you don't want it to be public knowledge that you joined a Queer Choir, then don't add them to your Facebook.

I know it's not private, which is my whole question as to why anyone really bothers in the first place. Regardless of who we are, what we do, how we live our lives, everyone has something that we want to be, and should be, private.

But they didn't add the choir to their Facebook, the choir added the students to the choir's Facebook page. That's the point being made in the article.
 
Locutus
+2
#6  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I know it's not private, which is my whole question as to why anyone really bothers in the first place. Regardless of who we are, what we do, how we live our lives, everyone has something that we want to be, and should be, private.

But they didn't add the choir to their Facebook, the choir added the students to the choir's Facebook page. That's the point being made in the article.

Applications gain the 'right' to post, view and such, your details when you click to sign up. Gotta read the terms of use when you join a group or add an application on that site.

At any rate, if some meathead, douchebag, attention hoar or just a normal schmuck posts anything bordering on confidential anywhere on the internet these days and thinks they're just fine, they might just want to power down and go outside for awhile. Stay away from the serious bidness that can be, the internet.
 
taxslave
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Why does anyone think that anything about Facebook is private? If you don't want it to be public knowledge that you joined a Queer Choir, then don't add them to your Facebook.

I think it was the other way around.

Having come from a place where most people leave after school I found facebook to be quite handy. But I am also careful as to what I post and how much personal information I put on it.
 
TenPenny
#8
Are you guys saying that any Facebook group can add any facebook user as a member without their consent?

So I could create a facebook group of hemaphroditic pedophiles, and add people at random?
 
taxslave
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Are you guys saying that any Facebook group can add any facebook user as a member without their consent?

So I could create a facebook group of hemaphroditic pedophiles, and add people at random?

I think so.
 
Locutus
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Applications gain the 'right' to post, view and such, your details when you click to sign up. Gotta read the terms of use when you join a group or add an application on that site.

Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Are you guys saying that any Facebook group can add any facebook user as a member without their consent?

So I could create a facebook group of hemaphroditic pedophiles, and add people at random?

Ya gotta start readin' son.

But you go ahead and create your uh, 'groups' though.
 
TenPenny
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Ya gotta start readin' son.

No, I'm just following the logic of what people on here are saying.

You need to read what people have said; this Choir added people to their facebook group, obviously against their will/without their consent. That's pretty neat.
 
petros
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

No, I'm just following the logic of what people on here are saying.

You need to read what people have said; this Choir added people to their facebook group, obviously against their will/without their consent. That's pretty neat.

Was it through the "tagging" feature?
 
SLM
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

No, I'm just following the logic of what people on here are saying.

You need to read what people have said; this Choir added people to their facebook group, obviously against their will/without their consent. That's pretty neat.

Whether it's logical or not, the writer of the article is stating exactly that and gives an example of such below:

Quote:

The problem with Facebook groups is that anybody can create them and add their friends to it – without their consent. For example, in less than 30 seconds I created a group called “David Hasselhoff Closet Admirers” and added Sync editor Simon Cohen to it. Simon then received notification that he was invited to the group:
Simon received notification that he was invited to my Facebook group.

Although it appears Simon has merely been invited, he’s actually now a member of the group despite the fact that he has not consented to the invitation, which you can see by visiting the page:
Without consenting, Simon is now part of my Facebook group. Anyone can view the group and its members.

Further, Simon’s Facebook connections will see in their news feeds that he’s a member of the group and be able to view anything he’s posted to the group’s page. Now, Simon could opt to remove himself from the group but, of course, it could be too late by then – other people may already have noticed he was in it.

Again I'm wondering why anyone bothers with it at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Applications gain the 'right' to post, view and such, your details when you click to sign up. Gotta read the terms of use when you join a group or add an application on that site.

At any rate, if some meathead, douchebag, attention hoar or just a normal schmuck posts anything bordering on confidential anywhere on the internet these days and thinks they're just fine, they might just want to power down and go outside for awhile. Stay away from the serious bidness that can be, the internet.

I don't disagree. People play way too fast and loose with their info in the online environment if you ask me.
 
petros
+1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Again I'm wondering why anyone bothers with it at all.

Marketing.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
#15
Never put anything ont he internet you don't want to share with everybody. There are no secrets, ever.
 
SLM
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Marketing.

We don't socialize anymore, we market?

Mankind is doomed.
 
petros
+1
#17
We sure do market ourselves. We market ourselves for jobs, spouses, respect, friends and much much more. In the end you are a product that you yourself might not want to buy.
 
Locutus
+1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

No, I'm just following the logic of what people on here are saying.

You need to read what people have said; this Choir added people to their facebook group, obviously against their will/without their consent. That's pretty neat.


Nobody seems to read (including you kid), never mind read what they click. You and you alone allow all the nefarious crap on FB. You are also responsible for your very own security and privacy settings. Imagine that. But the whiners will try and find blame elsewhere or justify their little rage.

The tag/brag and share is similar to the way some idiots will fast-click through EULA's and opt-out boxes then cry because they have some spyware toolbar or search engine on their rig. Too bad.

But carry-on and share your pennies.
 
petros
#19
Something to think about.....

When you post or link your photos, writings, music, art etc on Fascistbook you give up ownership of your photos, writings, music, art etc to Fascistbook
 
Locutus
#20
That's it man.
 
DaSleeper
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

Never put anything ont he internet you don't want to share with everybody. There are no secrets, ever.

Ski; Just as a test for my facebook security settings, you know my name, and possibly my home address, try and find my facebook account.....
 
TenPenny
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

Nobody seems to read (including you kid), never mind read what they click. You and you alone allow all the nefarious crap on FB. You are also responsible for your very own security and privacy settings. Imagine that. But the whiners will try and find blame elsewhere or justify their little rage.

The tag/brag and share is similar to the way some idiots will fast-click through EULA's and opt-out boxes then cry because they have some spyware toolbar or search engine on their rig. Too bad.

But carry-on and share your pennies.

I gather that you completely misunderstood my post. That's not a surprise.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Ski; Just as a test for my facebook security settings, you know my name, and possibly my home address, try and find my facebook account.....

This is discguised as a memory test isn't it?
 
Kreskin
#24
Over the course of 4 or 5 years with a Facebook account they've reset my privacy settings a couple of times, as well as reset notifications. I got tired of changing notification settings back to NONE so finally just established a baloney email account for facebook .. an email account I rarely check because its only full of facebook notifications I've repeatedly requested not to have.
 
DaSleeper
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

This is discguised as a memory test isn't it?

Heheh...My own test was to open another facebook account under a fake name and tried to find me.... with no luck......I thought since you were more into that technology stuff...???
 

Similar Threads

4
2
Tories propose accountability act loophole
by BitWhys | Nov 18th, 2006
11
Foley IMs Outed - Politically Timed
by Curiosity | Oct 12th, 2006
no new posts