Recurring MBNA Credit Card Fraud Problem -- Any Sugestions?

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... true story. i checked my mbna credit card statement and saw a number of unauthorized paypal transactions. i reported the fraud to mbna on the phone and they said it would all be taken care of. mbna tried to push a replacement card on me but i refused the new card ...

... but then i started getting strange material in the mail from mbna. first i got a statement stating that, among others things, i would be issued a new card and the balance from my old card would be transfered to the new card. this was unusual because i'd refused a replacement card ...

... after that i got a statement from mbna for a new card that i hadn't ask for with a huge credit balance. i hadn't received a card for the account and i hadn't activated the account, yet there were several transactions (including more paypal transactions) in the account which had resulted in the credit balance. since the statement had a credit balance i decided to ignore it for the time being ...

... but then the next month i got yet another statement for this new card and this next statement notated several more new transactions (including even more paypal transactions) which were substantial enough to move the account into a debit balance. mbna was claiming that i owed them money for this new account which i hadn't asked for, which had been activated by someone else and that was being used by someone else ...

... does anyone have any advice for what action i should take to rectify this disgusting fraud situation i'm encountering with mbna?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Paypal has had several breaches allthough they have keptmost of them quiet.

I suggest you write what youdid above to your local 'newspapers help me column' and send a copy to both mbna and paypal........

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
Paypal has had several breaches allthough they have keptmost of them quiet.

I suggest you write what youdid above to your local 'newspapers help me column' and send a copy to both mbna and paypal........
... yes, i've noticed that both mbna and paypal have a fraud problem ...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Maybe it's your son trying to steal your money.

Seriously, call MBNA, and ask them for copies of documentation showing that you requested the card, and also register a dispute with paypal.

My wife had 3 things from Amazon appear on her visa card, she called them, they were credited the next day. She's never used Amazon ever.

The paypal transactions would be linked to an email address, so it should be easy to trace.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
you would have been wise to take a new card number so that the old card number would no longer be valid.
you also need to get busy phoning mnba, if you want this resolved. calling your priest or posting on this forum isn't going to solve things.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
You are a victim of Identity Theft, and you should cancel out the MNBA account immediately, report this IN WRITING TO MNBA SECURITY AND TO YOUR LOCAL POLICE AGENCY.

IF YOU DO NOT PROTECT YOURSELF, YOU COULD END UP HAVING YOUR CREDIT PERMANENTLY RUINED.

I can not figure out ANY reason to keep a Credit Account that has been hacked. It makes absolutely no sense.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
... true story. i checked my mbna credit card statement and saw a number of unauthorized paypal transactions. i reported the fraud to mbna on the phone and they said it would all be taken care of. mbna tried to push a replacement card on me but i refused the new card ...

... but then i started getting strange material in the mail from mbna. first i got a statement stating that, among others things, i would be issued a new card and the balance from my old card would be transfered to the new card. this was unusual because i'd refused a replacement card ...

... after that i got a statement from mbna for a new card that i hadn't ask for with a huge credit balance. i hadn't received a card for the account and i hadn't activated the account, yet there were several transactions (including more paypal transactions) in the account which had resulted in the credit balance. since the statement had a credit balance i decided to ignore it for the time being ...

... but then the next month i got yet another statement for this new card and this next statement notated several more new transactions (including even more paypal transactions) which were substantial enough to move the account into a debit balance. mbna was claiming that i owed them money for this new account which i hadn't asked for, which had been activated by someone else and that was being used by someone else ...

... does anyone have any advice for what action i should take to rectify this disgusting fraud situation i'm encountering with mbna?
Dump the card and get one from some other outfit. Should have dumped it at the first sign of trouble.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Technically, they own the card, not you. So they decide when they give you a new card. Also, a card is not an account, a card is tied to an account. So issuing you a new card is not the same as giving you a new account. Sometimes they coincide, but they are quite distinct.

If you are not doing much e-commerce, or are happy to do money orders, just tell them to disable card not present transactions for your account.

Ask them for a random reader. If they don't know what it is then tell them that their fraud department should contact Visa or MasterCard about two factor authentication. I don't think Canadian banks participate in these programs yet, but they would solve all your problems.

Assuming you don't have viruses on your computer.

you would have been wise to take a new card number so that the old card number would no longer be valid.
you also need to get busy phoning mnba, if you want this resolved. calling your priest or posting on this forum isn't going to solve things.

They often don't update card numbers if all they are doing is issuing a new card mid life cycle. If his old card is still working then his new card has the same primary account number.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Any time I changed a card for some reason or other, it comes with a different number. Same credit account, but different access number and CCV number.

Mine always came with the same. As I point out, the card and the account are two different things. Banks choose how to manage them. The CCV/CSC will always change if the expiration date or primary account number changes, as it is a truncated cryptogram of the card details.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Whenever I've gotten a replacement card because of one being lost or broken, it has a new number. Or when the bank magically decides to change your program on you, which is why I dumped my TD Visa years ago, they gave me a new card with a new number, to replace my old one, for some 'administrative' reason, and then a month later sent me another of the old ones. So I cancelled them both.

Of course, TD now owns MBNA, so my internet card is with them technically. (I have one card, an MBNA card, that i ONLY use for Internet and Paypal uses, I never use any of the other cards on line).