Thats racist? Get a grip!

JaneBlonde

Nominee Member
Aug 30, 2012
Victoria's Secret forced to remove new Go East collection from sale after 'racist' Sexy Little Geisha outfit sparks backlash | Mail Online

Victoria's Secret has apparently vaporized their Go East collection and this hot number called the "Sexy Little Geisha." Why? Allegedly because it's racist. Not because it's actually racist. Because a small group ...
of bloggers who like to troll for reasons to be offended found this saucy collection and screamed RACISM!

Victoria's Secret can't "Go East" with their collection of sexy lingerie because, as one moaner claims: "It's overt racism ... When someone creates a collection like this, making inauthentic references to 'Eastern culture' (whatever that means) with hints of red or a fan accessory or floral designs, it reinforces a narrative that says that all Asian cultures - and their women - are exotic, far away but easy to access."

However, you can "Go East" and other companies will gladly sell you creams and lotions to lighten and whiten your ladybits because your ladybits are too dark. [blank stare]

What a sad and pathetic little world we live in. A world where it's wrong to view aspects of other cultures as being hot and sexy and you certainly can't explore those feelings - even in private - without being a racist if the culture isn't your own.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Good God! That is one butt ugly Teddy!

Get rid of the thing because it's hideous! Sheesh!

It's not the wrapping that counts, but the present that comes inside... Or is that comes inside the present?.. Oh wait.. Did I say that out loud?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
When someone creates a collection like this, making inauthentic references to 'Eastern culture' (whatever that means) with hints of red or a fan accessory or floral designs, it reinforces a narrative that says that all Asian cultures - and their women - are exotic, far away but easy to access."

Note - this is aimed at the original author.

Excuse me, but if you DON'T KNOW what 'Eastern culture' means (by your own admission), you can't claim that it reinforces a narrative about Asian cultures. Because you DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS. You just said that. Stupid words we're not allowed to use anymore. Can we still use stupid?

bunnyhug

Aug 29, 2012
Note - this is aimed at the original author.

Excuse me, but if you DON'T KNOW what 'Eastern culture' means (by your own admission), you can't claim that it reinforces a narrative about Asian cultures. Because you DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS. You just said that. Stupid words we're not allowed to use anymore. Can we still use stupid?

When one doesnt recognize sarcasm, yep that is stupid indeed.

In the Japanese 1600's, there was a sort of schism in female "courtesans". There were some who would become oiran, who were performers+high-class prostitutes, and geisha, who would have some sort of confusion over sex.

Especially over the mizuage-type ceremony, which was basically a (male) patron paying to possibly "deflower" a geisha (at that point, she wouldn't even be called a geisha, but something else for her rank. The mizuage practice would be thrown out later on in time. I think this was thrown off in the 1900's.

Mind you, a lot of those ladies were under the age of 18 (the age of consent was, if not is 13), but that's probably the least thing to be concerned with.

It doesn't make the confusion any better considering some geishas who had an exclusive male patron who she would become a mistress for, either.
There's about 2,000 geishas still active and performing. Some of them are wives and mothers, while the younger ones start around high school. It's very labor-intensive, so very few make the cut.

People tended to link sex and geishas together even after the custom stopped, while the oiran seem to have faded away save for a ceremonial promenade that still goes on. There's still prostitutes, too, of course.

I'm pretty sure that this was met with an eyeroll and a facepalm by actual geishas. Unless geisha houses in Japan say something about it, this might be met with "meh.....bad taste?" feeling.
Now if the name of the bra was "my sexy oiran" or something, that might not have been as bad.
I can always be wrong, but that kinda might be the reason why.
It looks more like a ballerina piece to me, considering the frills on that belt.