Dear Abby | America needs to respect its skilled tradespeople Read more here: http:/

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This may be written for the states, but it equally applies for Canada.

Dear Abby | America needs to respect its skilled tradespeople - KansasCity.com

Yep, I can't think of one skilled trade that isn't necessary given today's way of life. We've gotten away, thankfully, from the mentality of 100 years ago where a man's rung on the social scale, was determined by his profession.................clergy, lawyers and the military were at the top. Today respect is determined more by how he performs the job than the job itself.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm wondering how do they structure the high school workshop classes (auto, woodworking, etc)? Are they still all available in all schools (like when I was in high school) or is it now all relegated to one specific school in a district? If that's the case, that could that be a reason we're seeing a drop in the numbers of kids entering the skilled trades. Kids just aren't getting the same kind of exposure to introductory courses where they can at least see what it may be like and if it was something they'd like to pursue.

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
I have heard that Alberta has started to bring students into the trades at 16 if they wish, half the year completing acdemics and the other half actually working and applying hours towards an apprentiship and getting paid. By the time they get out they already have there second year and are employable.

I wish they had that when I was in highschool.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
yessir, as a tradesman nearing retirement I hear that loud and clear.

Very few are coming forward to fill in when people retire, which is absurd when you consider the bounding unemployment. Why aren't school guidance counselors pointing anyone to the trades? Stationary engineering especially... I mean, it has built in job security... as long as Canada is a cold country (AGW notwithstanding) there will be a need for people in the heating trades - plumbers, pipefitters, sheetmetal workers, steamfitters, gasfitters, burner technicians, instrumentation technicians, boiler operators and maintenance mechanics.

Tell your kids. It's good money.

The federal government is way short on stationary engineers right now. We get so much overtime due to being short-staffed that most people get tired of it. I even joke when I call someone in for overtime: "Your country needs you!", I would tell them. lol