When One Can't Judge, Anything Goes

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda

Whether you're for or against gay marriage, the next frontier of "progressivism" is just downright weird . . . isn't it?!

Can sex between brothers and sisters ever be normal?

In an interview published Monday, Hollywood director Nick Cassavetes, whose new movie Yellow tells the story of a fictional love affair between an adult sister and brother, claimed that incest is just the latest frontier in people throwing off the shackles of rigid, cultural convention and following their hearts.

According to Cassavetes’ interview with The Wrap, “I have no experience with incest . . . . We had heard a few stories where brothers and sisters were completely, absolutely in love with one another. You know what? This whole movie is about judgment, and lack of it, and doing what you want. Who gives a damm if people judge you? I’m not saying this is an absolute but in a way, if you’re not having kids — who gives a damn? Love who you want. Isn’t that what we say? Gay marriage — love who you want? If it’s your brother or sister it’s super-weird, but if you look at it, you’re not hurting anybody except every single person who freaks out because you’re in love with one another.”

more intrigue

Can sex between brothers and sisters ever be normal? | Fox News

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Incest is a little different than some other sexual taboos, IMO. It crosses into some rough waters because of possible genetic defects if there is procreation. There are known to be higher risks of numerous conditions associated with "shallow gene pools". I suppose it could acceptable as long as the couple involved was willing to use proper contraception but... I love my sister: she's an intelligent, attractive woman, but I don't LOVE my sister, ya know?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Honestly, I couldnt care less what consenting adults do. In a case like this id actually prefer not to know. If thats what they want to do, whatever. No effect on me.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm torn on this one. I really can't see it being a big society wide issue. And the genetic ramifications of incest are generally proven to be after generations of interbreeding. For the rare isolated cases a healthy society would have (yes I admit to having double standards for segregated societies), I'm not sure what good trying to snuff out love between two consenting and informed adults would do.

Now, as with anything pertaining to human sexuality, marriage, etc., you will run into times and places where it's a control issue. I don't know how we go about addressing that in the rest of society so I fail to figure how we could prevent it in this case either.

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Love who you want. Isn’t that what we say? Gay marriage — love who you want? If it’s your brother or sister it’s super-weird, but if you look at it, you’re not hurting anybody except every single person who freaks out because you’re in love with one another.”
If you look at analytically, then the above is an absolutely true statement. But the thing about 'taboo' is, of course, the creepy icky factor, which will vary from person to person. Would I ever find it to be acceptable for myself? No way, never. But, each to their own, anything that is consensual that does no explicit harm to anyone, we really shouldn't be judging. Because what business is it of ours, really?

The reaction I have may be that it is unacceptable, but if I step back and apply reason, I have to say that does me absolutely no harm and therefore I shouldn't be casting judgement upon it.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Perhaps a spokesperson for the pharaohs of ancient Egypt is the only one who can possibly answer this question.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There must have been a little incest to kick start the human race, but it would be quite a stretch to say it's normal, personally I find it kind of sickening, but I guess if two consenting siblings want at it and harm no one else I guess it's their business.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Some people suggest this is down the road to human progress?
I wonder what people think progress is .
I know we don't worry about women voting anymore
booze became legal again
trade unions became part of the social landscape
and someday pot will be legal

There is always the unknown to be afraid of until people are exposed to it
there is usually a long and prolonged battle to prevent the new thing until
everyone gets tired of fighting about it and they take down the banners and
protest signs and go home the only exception being the abortion issue.
I don't think this will become a new normal and it too shall pass quietly into
the historical night with some new issue right behind it on the horizon.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
There must have been a little incest to kick start the human race, but it would be quite a stretch to say it's normal, personally I find it kind of sickening, but I guess if two consenting siblings want at it and harm no one else I guess it's their business.

If you believe in any of the Abrahamic religions there was more than just a little incest. The whole thing is.

Personally if me and my sister were the last humans left alive - well, the human species would end with us. Not willing to do that stuff. Not even to keep the species going.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
It is an elementary exercise to show that inbreeding with selective sterilization of those with genetic diseases is an effective method for reducing the prevalence of those genetic diseases. The result being that the prevalence of "bad" mutations in the gene pool goes to 2/6 from 4/8 each generation (the person with the bad-bad combo is removed).

Because of the cruelty of such eugenic programs, these things typically only occurred in slave populations, where the incapable slaves would not receive food since they were not getting their work done. This leads to the ironic situation where it can be safer to have children with a relative than with someone from the general population. Of course, "safer" has a specific and subtle meaning in this context; for instance, non-physical genetic diseases may not have been selected out.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Perhaps a spokesperson for the pharaohs of ancient Egypt is the only one who can possibly answer this question.

Never met a British or European monarch eh?
;)
They have been running the show all inbred to the hilt, and everyone wonders why the modern world is all effed up.
But hey, I guess it's no worse then the system you want with the communism and the nazism you preach about all the time.

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
"Is conjoined twins diddling each other incest or masturbation?"