When is enough going to be enough?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ottawa man gets 10 years for 'brutal attack'

Viciously beat common-law wife for three hours in bathroom

By Andrew Seymour, Ottawa Citizen September 11, 2012 6:25 AM

A man who tried to kill his common-law wife in what a judge described as a "coldblooded, brutal attack" that involved him bashing the woman's face into a tub faucet and trying to smother her with a comforter and pillow was sentenced to a decade behind bars Monday.
Robert James Johnston spent three hours beating the woman, a vicious attack he launched after the woman told him she no longer wanted to be with him. The couple's 19-month-old daughter sat in another room at the time.
Johnston launched the attack just before 6: 30 a.m. on March 9, 2011.
By the time it was over, the critically injured woman had nearly every bone in her face broken, suffered a gash to her forehead so severe bone was visible, and needed five litres of blood and an emergency trauma team to keep her alive.

Read more: Ottawa man gets 10 years for 'brutal attack'

There is losing your temper, and then there is brutality. And then there is this attack. As she laying bleeding on the bathroom floor she made a desperate attempt to defend herself by grabbing at his genitals, a move he decided was worthy of raping her. And he did all of this while their own child was in the next room.

A three hour horrific beating and a degrading rape perpetrated in a pool of the victims own blood. He gets ten years. And with time already served he gets to walk out a free man in eight years and four months. That is absolutely beyond criminal! How in the hell does ten years possibly equate as a justifiable consequence for the actions he perpetrated? This individual has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he can be more than dangerous, so why should he ever be trusted again? Is ten years even enough time to begin to earn that trust back?

We always hear about government getting 'tough on crime' or how they are building new prisons (I'm not neither condoning or opposing any of that). Why don't we, as a nation, spend some time talking about the safety of society or the consequences being sufficient reparations for the criminal acts?

It infuriates me that a man can do this to his partner, a parent can do this to his child's mother, a judge can call what the this man did "the ultimate degradation" and yet his victims, and society, will only be protected from him for less than 10 years. It's not right, it's not fair.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Ottawa man gets 10 years for 'brutal attack'

Viciously beat common-law wife for three hours in bathroom

By Andrew Seymour, Ottawa Citizen September 11, 2012 6:25 AM

A man who tried to kill his common-law wife in what a judge described as a "coldblooded, brutal attack" that involved him bashing the woman's face into a tub faucet and trying to smother her with a comforter and pillow was sentenced to a decade behind bars Monday.
Robert James Johnston spent three hours beating the woman, a vicious attack he launched after the woman told him she no longer wanted to be with him. The couple's 19-month-old daughter sat in another room at the time.
Johnston launched the attack just before 6: 30 a.m. on March 9, 2011.
By the time it was over, the critically injured woman had nearly every bone in her face broken, suffered a gash to her forehead so severe bone was visible, and needed five litres of blood and an emergency trauma team to keep her alive.

There is losing your temper, and then there is brutality. And then there is this attack. As she laying bleeding on the bathroom floor she made a desperate attempt to defend herself by grabbing at his genitals, a move he decided was worthy of raping her. And he did all of this while their own child was in the next room.

A three hour horrific beating and a degrading rape perpetrated in a pool of the victims own blood. He gets ten years. And with time already served he gets to walk out a free man in eight years and four months. That is absolutely beyond criminal! How in the hell does ten years possibly equate as a justifiable consequence for the actions he perpetrated? This individual has proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he can be more than dangerous, so why should he ever be trusted again? Is ten years even enough time to begin to earn that trust back?

We always hear about government getting 'tough on crime' or how they are building new prisons (I'm not neither condoning or opposing any of that). Why don't we, as a nation, spend some time talking about the safety of society or the consequences being sufficient reparations for the criminal acts?

It infuriates me that a man can do this to his partner, a parent can do this to his child's mother, a judge can call what the this man did "the ultimate degradation" and yet his victims, and society, will only be protected from him for less than 10 years. It's not right, it's not fair.

The burning question in my mind is can such an "animal", be rehabillitated? Another thing that would come into play would be previous offenses if any. I don't think the sentence was unreasonable as it is basically the same as that for 2nd degree murder. It's a tough call!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How do you know he is a jerk? She could have been emotionally abusing him for years and the cork holding it all in finally let go.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
How do you know he is a jerk? She could have been emotionally abusing him for years and the cork holding it all in finally let go.

Absolutely Petros, that sh*t does happen but it's not an excuse for attempted murder and rape. If it was a backhand across the face, I could buy it but not a continuous three hour assault! That is not "snapping". That "f**ker has some serious "rough edges".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A possible ten year assault on someones emotions is justifiable?

In all your years and wisom, you don't know any women who have bitched themselves out of really good husbands or partners?

Yes it was violent but sometime the most gentle of people can be pushed to do horrible things.

We don't know the full story.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A possible ten year assault on someones emotions is justifiable?

In all your years and wisom, you don't know any women who have bitched themselves out of really good husbands or partners?

Yes it was violent but sometime the most gentle of people can be pushed to do horrible things.

We don't know the full story.

Probably not, but this guy in my opinion is capable of murder. The courts have a responsibility to remove that possibility!

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
when is enough going to be enough?

when colpy starts a fed up with democracy yet? thread.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He could at any time...just walk away...leave...move out...get counseling

a 3 hour beating is beyond revenge.
Perhaps he doesn't want to walk away from his child? Contrary to popular belief, men do love their children.

There are movies about women who blow gaskets after years of abuse and they are immortalize on film but if a man does it, he should be killed.

10 years is appropriate.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good suggestions, but you have to be careful. I find when I suggest executions, people don't like me much! :lol:

Lots of great people have been hated for their beliefs.

Most people are not like gerry and their beliefs change when it hits close to home.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
petros, you're comparing three hours of torture and rape, to someone who kills to get out of abuse....

While I get the point you're trying to make about gender equality, you've hitched your wagon to the wrong horse on this one.