Circumcision pluses outweigh risks, say U.S. pediatricians

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CHICAGO—The United State’s most influential pediatricians group says the health benefits of circumcision in newborn boys outweigh any risks and American insurance companies should pay for it.

In its latest policy statement on circumcision, a procedure that has been declining nationwide, the American Academy of Pediatrics moves closer to an endorsement but says the decision should be up to parents.

“It’s not a verdict from on high,” said policy co-author Dr. Andrew Freedman. “There’s not a one-size-fits-all-answer.” But from a medical standpoint, circumcision’s benefits in reducing risk of disease outweigh its small risks, said Freedman, a pediatric urologist in Los Angeles.

Recent research bolstering evidence that circumcision reduces chances of infection with HIV and other sexually spread diseases, urinary tract infections and penis cancer influenced the academy to update their 13-year-old policy.

more

Circumcision pluses outweigh risks, say U.S. pediatricians - thestar.com

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it's interesting that we can justify genital mutilation because some parents can't teach their kids to wash.

That or the parents themselves are too lazy to wash. My mother said the reason she had it done to me was because she didnt feel comfortable cleaning me herself while I was an infant. Funny thing. She called me lazy quite a bit when I was a kid. I wish I had that piece of info back then.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
When innocent babies die because of hemorrhaging it's no big deal, right? I mean to say mutilating a child because it help resist diseases when we have plenty of medicines today to handle illness is crazy. The entire idea is so stupid and archaic.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If an adult wishes to be circumcised that is one thing, but an infant is defenceless. The pain and risks should be a adult decision.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think it's interesting that we can justify genital mutilation because some parents can't teach their kids to wash.

Most problems actually arise from well meaning parents forcing the foreskin back and causing scar tissue that will then harbour bacteria.

'Leave it the hell alone'

If an informed patient decides that his sex life is going to include disease risk, and he'd like to minimize it by lopping parts of himself off, then go right ahead

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Circumcision can result in penile amputation, penile denudation, and buried penis.

If you let your half blind, shaky handed, allergy sneezing, great grandfather give er a go with his trusty razor blade fer shaving & a bottle of rum.... Yeah you probably would end up with one of those scenarios.

That's why you get an experienced doctor who has a good track record with years of experience to do it.

They're talking about our modern world in the op.... Not some backward tribe in a desert using their knife they use to skin their hunt.

I'm all for personal decision by the parents and only for medical reasons. Not for cosmedic reasons.

You either get it done within the first year of being born when they won't remember, heals in days with no damage caused to their sensations for later on in life.... or you NEVER do it.

If any guy decides to get circumcised at age 18 when all your nerves and sexual development are pretty well complete, and when your body takes much longer to heal..... You're an idiot. Don't do it.

You will most likely lose some sensations and in some considerable amount of pain for probably weeks, instead of a few moments of pain between the happy drugs that wore off and the happy drugs coming now to put you to sleep, then it's like nothing happened the next day & the third day you dunk em in a warm sink/tub of salt water for a few mins, the bandage falls off.... And that's it. Done.

Yes I know... You all are aware of my circumcised genitalia, but here it is again.....

*ziiip.... THUNK onto the table*

Ladies and gentlemen.... I have a circumcised penis... There she blows, take a good look. I shaved so you can better view my magnificents.

In regards to sensation loss?

Nothing seems numb to me. It all seems even in sensation and in order.

Length? Your average 6.5" x 2" Good enough for my liking as well as the ladies, if you catch my drift..... Know what I'm say'n fellas.... Yeah HOUGH HOUGH HOUGH HOUGH

I suppose if I wasn't circumcised I could have been 7" including my elephant trunk flapping in the breeze but why be greedy. Give my foreskin to some poor burn victim to make a new face for them.... Don't say I never give.

I'm not saying y'all should get it done or not. Again, it's all up to the parent. If you want to get it done as an adult, it's a stupid idea, but your's to make.

Rights of the child?

Until they're adults, the parents hold that legal responsibility.

That's all I have to say on the subject today. Good day.

*flumph.... Ziiip*

Mothering: The Case Against Circumcision

Genital mutilation seems wrong to me.
Mothering.... Cuz they had their foreskin removed to know anything about it.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I will never forget when, in my early youth, a neighbor's child died because he hemorrhaged after one of these stupid operations took place. Hundreds of cases result in injury or death every year and this is totally needless.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I will never forget when, in my early youth, a neighbor's child died because he hemorrhaged after one of these stupid operations took place. Hundreds of cases result in injury or death every year and this is totally needless.

There's all sorts of things considered needless in society.... cell phones being one example.... and you can get brain cancer from those things.... let's ban em cuz 0.5% of the population can end up having problems. :roll:

There are reasons that make the process not "Needless" and if you knew anything about the subject rather than what you see at face value, you'd know this.

The reason why I got my son circumcised was specifically due to medical reasons confirmed by a doctor.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
"There’s not a one-size-fits-all-answer.” Apt statement, considering the subject matter.;)

Circumcision can result in penile amputation, penile denudation, and buried penis.

I was circumcised when I was young, and none of those things happened to me. In fact, there is absolutely nothing wrong with my penis.