Schuswap flood

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

If this was Ontario they would have called out the military,most folks dont even know they had major floods in B.C. this week.

I was stranded in B.C. in about 2005 I think,we had 28 straight days of rain(our 1 in 100 year flood),I walked home to Alberta on the cpr tracks with a 64 year old gentleman as highway#3 was washed out,I sat and watched it sucked into Michell creek and the elk river.I watched cars floating by and a body.
I met 3 peeps walking on the tracks that day,an elderly married couple over 90 years old and the old fellas brother who was also in his 90's.
They had left their truck and horse trailer at the Byron creek turnoff or Corbin turn off as the highway was literally gone into B.C. at that time and they were walking on the tracks to B.C. and I will never forget it as the lady had her sneakers duct taped to keep from falling apart in the rain.
They gave me the keys to their truck so I didnt have to walk 30 more miles and came to pick it up 2 weeks later at my place.

They had another 40 miles to walk and all in their 90's!

I found out later the old fellas 2 sons were on my crew at the coalmine,now I know why they were so tough because his kids were the toughest in the valley.
The Busato's

So sad,I used to go here every year for a houseboat trip.

*****************ANNOUNCEMENT******************

All of us at Waterway Houseboat Vacations regret that for the first time since opening in 1968 we will not be able to operate for a short period.

All sailings up to and including July 11th ...are cancelled and we anticipate reopening on the 12th of July. Our Guest Service Team will be calling every Guest who is affected by this temporary shutdown within the next 7 days to discuss the following options:

• Option1 - Waterway will offer all guests with cancelled sailings an opportunity to re-book their currently scheduled sailing. In addition, we will offer an additional complimentary sailing on a houseboat of equal value at the time of your choosing.

• Option 2 - Full Refund

All of us here at Waterway Houseboat Vacations appreciate the understanding and patience of our Guests during this extremely difficult time. We continue to make all efforts to keep each and every one of you as future clients and extend this offer to compensate for some of the inconvenience this disaster has caused our Guests.

Waterway will be re-opening soon and our product will be as good as ever. Our Houseboats suffered virtually no damage. For those who do not wish to accept the offer, refunds will be processed in a timely manner. Our Guest Services team will be contacting everyone affected in the next week to determine how each group wishes to proceed. We will then make all the necessary arrangements. We are asking that you do not call us about the process until we get in touch with you, as the staff is overwhelmed and the phones lines are jammed until we get our old communication system up and running. We will absolutely, definitely communicate with you shortly.

We want to extend our gratitude for the patience and understanding from all our guests during this difficult time. We continue to be amazed with the many people who have asked us how they may help out. Waterway gratefully appreciates the multitude of generous offers. We understand that most visitors to our Facebook page have an interest in houseboating. Now is the time to book a houseboat trip. That is wh

Devastating floods in B.C. and a small but flourishing industry smashed to the ground,most of this didnt even make the 6 o clock local news.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
That is wild weather eh? I think I saw somewhere that all of BC Hydros major dams are spilling water because of the record snowfall and rain that followed. The Peace is higher than it has been in a long time.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Arrow Lakes are at high water already and there is still a lot of snow on the mountains. We could be in trouble with a heat spell coming in a few days. With all the dams on the Columbia, we could see a few get taken out if this keeps up.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry

All that water is flowing down the Columbia, I suppose if the need is great enough the States could divert some of that. The southwest States could be in for a rough time though, as the Rockies dry up, the aquifers get run down, and if the rain moves further north for a while.

What would make more sense, for people to move to the water, or for us to move the water to them? I expect neither unless there is a continuing surplus of water somewhere. Even then it is my impression that ecosystems develop to make use of availble water, temporary surpluses aside, and to remove that water would harm an existing biological community.

I think it is better to the extent possible if people adapt to their own local conditions.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
All that water is flowing down the Columbia, I suppose if the need is great enough the States could divert some of that. The southwest States could be in for a rough time though, as the Rockies dry up, the aquifers get run down, and if the rain moves further north for a while.

What would make more sense, for people to move to the water, or for us to move the water to them? I expect neither unless there is a continuing surplus of water somewhere. Even then it is my impression that ecosystems develop to make use of availble water, temporary surpluses aside, and to remove that water would harm an existing biological community.

I think it is better to the extent possible if people adapt to their own local conditions.

Record snowpack this year here and im right on the continental divide between Alta/B.C. Now we have had about a month of steady showers and heavy rains.
The damage done by the pine beetles in the flathead and other valleys also affects the run off.Trees use a lot of water.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Record snowpack this year here and im right on the continental divide between Alta/B.C. Now we have had about a month of steady showers and heavy rains.
The damage done by the pine beetles in the flathead and other valleys also affects the run off.Trees use a lot of water.

Here in the Peace country we didn't get excessive snow but only because it was mostly stopped by the mountains to the west. It sounds like record snows in that part of the province.. PG has been flooding again too.

So is the run-off dirtier than normal too? Is the loss of tree cover allowing more erosion?

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Here in the Peace country we didn't get excessive snow but only because it was mostly stopped by the mountains to the west. It sounds like record snows in that part of the province.. PG has been flooding again too.

So is the run-off dirtier than normal too? Is the loss of tree cover allowing more erosion?
The runoff is still high on the Crowsnest and Elk River and very dirty,also the same for all the rivers from here to SK.
The loss of trees is allways bad,we had the lost creek fire here a few years ago so theres not much left for trees in the south part of the bow crow forestry which is right on the border.
The rockies here have seen a rough decade.

This was the view out my window for 31 days during the lost creek fire.The whole valley was on fire.I was on the fireline building breaks.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

Could if the lefties weren't so dead set against bulk water exports.

Moving water to people is easier on the environment than moving people to water.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
We seem to be getting extremes the last few years, hot and dry, and wet right after. Same as before I guess, only more so.

It was warmer in the arctic where I was last year then it was here in southern Alberta.This year is the same so far,they have had +25 temps up there lately.

I'll never forget our big flood,after 30 days of rain the ground,trees and grass could take no more and every single ditch or valley now had a raging creek or river in it,trees and boulders all were getting washed down steady and the steel bridges on allmost all the rivers washed away and were found as crumpled bits of steel miles downstream.

I only heard about this flood after pics were posted on FB. I saw nothing on the news about it.
My buddy could have hoes,dozers and tracked maroocas up there in 6 hours.Lot's of iron sitting around that could have been used.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
We seem to be getting extremes the last few years, hot and dry, and wet right after. Same as before I guess, only more so.

Are we getting more or just getting more information about them now?
For the last couple of years the wet coast has just been getting more wet.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
It was warmer in the arctic where I was last year then it was here in southern Alberta.This year is the same so far,they have had +25 temps up there lately.

I'll never forget our big flood,after 30 days of rain the ground,trees and grass could take no more and every single ditch or valley now had a raging creek or river in it,trees and boulders all were getting washed down steady and the steel bridges on allmost all the rivers washed away and were found as crumpled bits of steel miles downstream.

I only heard about this flood after pics were posted on FB. I saw nothing on the news about it.
My buddy could have hoes,dozers and tracked maroocas up there in 6 hours.Lot's of iron sitting around that could have been used.

I remember seing something about the Sicamous area on CBC a few nghts back but there was nothing like these photos. That is just astounding. Like you said, if this was Ontario it would have been a national emergency. It looks like they could have used a little help getting things cleaned up.

What is a tracked marooka?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I remember seing something about the Sicamous area on CBC a few nghts back but there was nothing like these photos. That is just astounding. Like you said, if this was Ontario it would have been a national emergency. It looks like they could have used a little help getting things cleaned up.

Little west of Toronto make the national news unless lots of dead bodies are involved

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

A money pit.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Could if the lefties weren't so dead set against bulk water exports.

Moving water to people is easier on the environment than moving people to water.

Oh Yeah, it's them lefties is responsible is it? :) :) How do you know that it is easier on the environment to move the water to people? Is that intuition or have you seen a study done on this?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Oh Yeah, it's them lefties is responsible is it? :) :) How do you know that it is easier on the environment to move the water to people? Is that intuition or have you seen a study done on this?

Simple. People require large unreplantable clear cuts in which to live. Water moves in a pipe that can be burried and planted over. If it leaks all it will do is water the trees. Too complicated for a leftard to understand without a protest?

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
Simple. People require large unreplantable clear cuts in which to live. Water moves in a pipe that can be burried and planted over. If it leaks all it will do is water the trees. Too complicated for a leftard to understand without a protest?

Where does the water come from for an export that would replentish the Colorado, or the Rio Grande?