Rookie cop takes heat for arresting off-duty officer

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Toronto News: Rookie cop takes heat for arresting off-duty officer - thestar.com

It’s an impaired driving case like thousands of others except it involves a rookie Toronto police officer who crossed the thin blue line and paid the price.
Const. Andrew Vanderburgh was “harassed and berated” by fellow officers because on Nov. 28, 2009, he arrested and charged an off-duty police constable with impaired driving and having a blood-alcohol level over 80 milligrams, according to an internal police disciplinary ruling.
Some officers also allegedly called Vanderburgh a “rat,” Justice Paul Reinhardt wrote in a pre-trial ruling.
On Tuesday, Vanderburgh was in Old City Hall court to testify at Breton Berthiaume’s long-delayed impaired driving trial. He declined to comment except to say that while he does not regret charging a fellow officer, the fallout has been difficult.
Berthiaume, a Halton Region officer, has pleaded not guilty.
Also in court was Const. Suhail Khawaja, who accompanied Vanderburgh in his squad car the evening of the arrest.
That night, Vanderburgh and Khawaja went to Berthiaume’s home in High Park after a 911 caller reported seeing someone driving erratically on the Don Valley Parkway, and had recorded the licence plate number.
The officers took Berthiaume to neighbouring 22 Division, the closest station where a breath technician was present, and required him to give breath samples.
Some officers there “took exception to a police officer being charged or investigated,” Crown Attorney Mary-Anne Mackett told court Tuesday, providing an overview of the convoluted 2½-year-old case.
Reinhardt, who is no longer the judge in the Berthiaume case, said in his pre-trial ruling that disclosure he reviewed alleged Khawaja “refused to assist Constable Vanderburgh in the arrest and preparation of paperwork at 22 Division.”
“Constable Khawaja is purported to have stated on more than one occasion that evening to different informants that he wanted nothing to do with the arrest of a fellow police officer,” Reinhardt wrote.
Vanderburgh, meanwhile, continued to pay a price.
After Berthiaume was released, Vanderburgh drove a marked police vehicle back to his division and was followed by a 22 Division cruiser driven by Const. James Little.
Little pulled him over and gave him a ticket for allegedly disobeying a red light, which was later dismissed. Last year, Little pleaded guilty to one count of discreditable conduct under the Police Services Act.
Little chose “to disregard his professional obligations and embark on a course of retaliatory action against a colleague performing his sworn, lawful duty,” Supt. Robin Breen wrote in his ruling.
“He abused his position to express his personal displeasure about his colleague’s arrest of an off-duty police officer.” Little was docked 20 days’ pay.
Two other officers, including a staff sergeant who failed to intervene, were disciplined in the incident. One was also docked 20 days’ pay, the other 15.
“Those penalties are at the upper end and reflect seriousness of what happened and demonstrate the determination of the service to hold people accountable in a meaningful way,” Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash said Tuesday.
Pugash said the names of the two other officers cannot be disclosed because they were dealt with at the divisional level. However, Reinhardt’s pre-trial ruling referred to incomplete police disclosure records of Khawaja’s “misconduct” on Nov. 28, 2009.
Berthiaume’s impaired driving trial, meanwhile, has been put over until Feb. 18 when he plans to represent himself after firing his lawyer. He remains on active duty with the Halton force.

I guess this rookie cop, had not been taken aside and schooled about how things really work in the police force.........

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes...police officers typically have a Free Drinking and Driving pass providing they don't wreck and hurt somebody. I knew a cop who used to get blitzed and drove and got pulled over many times in his home town. Finally the Town Chief sent a letter to the Staties saying that if they pull him over again he's getting arrested.

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
Atitudes are changing a little at a time.

An off-duty Mountie from Mission is under investigation for an alleged fight that took place outside a Pitt Meadows bar.

The altercation happened shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday, June 3 outside the Rooster’s Country Cabaret.

According to Ridge Meadows RCMP , the off-duty police officer got in an argument with a man after leaving the bar.

Two uniformed RCMP officers who were already patrolling the parking lot intervened and tried to diffuse the situation, but were allegedly assaulted by her.

The off-duty officer was arrested. Mission RCMP could not be reached for comment.

Mission City Record - Cop versus cops outside Pitt Meadows bar

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, when a bunch of thugs (minority among the R.C.M.P.) get out of control things get kind of ugly! :lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Years ago where I grew up a rookie made the silly mistake of arresting the local judge for impaired and stuck by his guns. Poor bastard was transfered to the north pole before the judge even went to court.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Years ago where I grew up a rookie made the silly mistake of arresting the local judge for impaired and stuck by his guns. Poor bastard was transfered to the north pole before the judge even went to court.

Sounds like a circuit judge that lived in Sayward 30 odd years ago.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I do love when judges get pinched. Usually the Thin Black Line of Robes tosses the case out as judges stick together.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
While I think that police and judges should be held to the same standard as everyone else(DUI is DUI), I unfortunately don't think that's always the case.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
This guy is going to take some heat for it in the short term, but this is our future chief of police.
Someone with courage and integrity? Put him in charge now.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Like everything else society has bent the rules for who is eligible to be
a police officer and this is adding to the problems coming to light. The
cops who refused to deal with this is accordance with the law should be
dismissed from the force. Failing to due their duty and administer the law
equally is serious enough for dismissal.
in addition i read a story on Castanet our local on line news network the
there is a group of people connected with boarder patrol that were busted
for allowing cocaine and guns to come into BC from Washington. They
were operating as a ring including businessmen from the lower mainland.
Authority agencies have a problem that requires immediate attention if they
want to have the respect of the public.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The police take on the job of law enforcer and they have to work together as a team and they are loners in society because no one trusts them because they have to follow all laws and make arrests. The only support group they have is other police officers and if they lose that because they squeal to their superiors where the accused is severely reprimanded they can't be trusted and no one has their back.

From what I here there is police justice taken care another way and can be just as harsh.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The police take on the job of law enforcer and they have to work together as a team and they are loners in society because no one trusts them because they have to follow all laws and make arrests. The only support group they have is other police officers and if they lose that because they squeal to their superiors where the accused is severely reprimanded they can't be trusted and no one has their back.

From what I here there is police justice taken care another way and can be just as harsh.

That's too bad, ya can't suck and blow at the same time AND collect the big bucks. :lol: