O Canada!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
O Canada!

[youtube]zwDvF0NtgdU[/youtube]

That's right stand up and get off your fat asses..!!!

(just feeling a little patriotic this morning)

Please post what Canada means to you below??

What being Canadian means to you..?? (other than free health care) be positive..

Let's start a "Proud to be Canadian thread.."

[youtube]VUqsF8vbR_Q[/youtube]

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I'm trying to find the video where the Canadian beaver beats up American eagle in a hockey game.. seems to have been pulled off the Internet.. I can not find it for the life of me.. anyone see this?

Also a really cool link..

» So you think you know Canada, eh? Seven myths about our neighbors to the north

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I and several generations have had a life of incredible quality and opportunities in this best of all countries and i'm damn grateful to those generations of dedicated and productive people who fought for it and created it, as well my being born here and not elsewhere.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I and several generations have had a life of incredible quality and opportunities in this best of all countries and i'm damn grateful to those generations of dedicated and productive people who fought for it and created it, as well my being born here and not elsewhere.
So, you are not one of those Gen-Xers who think that the seniors who built this country are parasites living off their hard earned tax dollars?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you've met many Canadians, you'd know we're not typically loudly patriotic, definitely not without a reason beyond 'hey let's be loudly patriotic'. Also, you probably tanked it when you made it about a Canadian symbol beating on an American symbol. There's a difference between being patriotic and being anti-American.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
If you've met many Canadians, you'd know we're not typically loudly patriotic, definitely not without a reason beyond 'hey let's be loudly patriotic'. Also, you probably tanked it when you made it about a Canadian symbol beating on an American symbol. There's a difference between being patriotic and being anti-American.

Maybe in some ways when I was younger (25 years ago), that was one of the reasons why I went south to the USA. I thought the United States a very unique country with such pride in it's nation and always wondered why Canadian didn't have the same, or show it as much.

I felt that Canada was riding on the Americans coat tails.. following the United States lead in everything. If the USA does it 5 years later Canada will.. for sure.

Then I started to see more pride, via the Internet, media.. and started to realize Canadians have pride just somewhat reserved comparatively speaking to the USA.

Nevertheless, still waiting for the day when I walk down a Canadian small town street and every household has a Canadian flag hanging from their porch showing their love for Canada and being thankful they live in such a great nation.. (rather than thinking, "Canada owes them something," as many do)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
For me, patriotism is reflected not in how much one waves the flag, but in one's daily life. Do you volunteer, give to charity, or help others? And what about little things like holing onto a wrapper until you get to a garbage can rather than just chucking it to the curbside?

Yes, it sounds like boy scout stuff, but to me that's what patriotism is about, and not just blind flag-waving. In fact, quite honestly when I lived abroad, there was no change in my lifestyle with regards to helping others, giving to charity, holding on to my garbage, etc.

To me patriotism is shown in one's daily life.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
The lack of flag waving is one of the better things about Canada. Americans need to wear their patriotosm on their sleeves to convince themselves of the quality of their nation (a dubitable distinction). Canadians do not. Although, under the CPC government they increasingly need to question whether Canada is still a place to be proud of.

I grew up in England and a notable feature of Canada and England is that neither needs to beat its collective breat to demonstrate pride. They just are great places and the denizens know it.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I grew up in England and a notable feature of Canada and England is that neither needs to beat its collective breat to demonstrate pride. They just are great places and the denizens know it.

WHAT!!! England is just as boisterous in it's patriotism as the USA..

I just got my income tax return. I love Canada!

I didn't do my taxes in Canada this year, didn't work in Canada.. so no tax refund.. But I got my US Tax return 2 months ago. ;-)

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
So, you are not one of those Gen-Xers who think that the seniors who built this country are parasites living off their hard earned tax dollars?

There are as many young able bodied dogs and bitches abusing the system while popping kids at random as there are seniors collecting what they worked for.
Difference is that many if not most of the former do not or have not really worked long enough to contribute. I wonder where we would be now if the majority of families had been single parent (nearly always female) in the 50's and on?

Fine to whine that we (yes i am one) seem to be getting too much or took too much but i wonder what those whiners will say when it is their turn to deal with disability and just plain old age after 40-50 years of continuously paying taxes and never taking anything from the system till now.

Is it legit for any government to complain about funding the public pensions after they told us forever it would be available and now have pissed it all away? So what should we believe? The current government is saying we have to tighten up, the opposition says, no prob, we would plunder the corporations and give you all a free lunch and while we are at it we will blame the baby boomers for us not being able to give you enough.

I really should not have even talked about this after several hours of struggling through the pain and fatigue to cut firewood because we really need the money that we would pay hydro otherwise.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Never trust the government in any country to keep care of you in your old age.. if you don't prepare now.. you may have an ugly surprise at retirement time.

I own land, paid cash, building a home on it, cash.. no loans. It's mine, not the banks, just has low taxes as it a s small city.. Tired of financing big government, banks and speculators.. stopped taking loans for anything 4 years ago.. if I can't afford to pay cash.. I can't afford it. period.

Having a monthly payment outside DirecTV & Hydro is just to dam stressful for me, Thanks.

Now because I have worked in the USA and Canada.. if there is any Social Security or Old Age Pension left to get.. I will apply from one or the other, or both.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Funny how some people will stick, sometimes several signs from their favorite political party (the blatant ideologues)...and...those same people will not fly the Canadian flag ...even on Canada Day.......

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
I don't think England is boisterous as in USA, BOOMer. Where in England do you see the Anthem pl? .ayed at any sport or cultural event. Even at school games.

Where do you see flags waving on cars and houses? The British patriotism is a quiet one that parades itself when there is reason to.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I don't think England is boisterous as in USA, BOOMer. Where in England do you see the Anthem pl? .ayed at any sport or cultural event. Even at school games.

Where do you see flags waving on cars and houses? The British patriotism is a quiet one that parades itself when there is reason to.

Soccer games.. yes..

[youtube]BRI-A3vakVg[/youtube]

Wow, I knew William Shatner was Canadian, didn't know he was raised in Quebec and speaks French too.. cool

[youtube]AOnQROgk1IM[/youtube]

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Funny how some people will stick, sometimes several signs from their favorite political party (the blatant ideologues)...and...those same people will not fly the Canadian flag ...even on Canada Day.......

The fact that they are engaged in politics is patriotism aplenty in my books. Far too few people, nationality aside, can say the same.