Anyone Sad To See That The Canadian Penny Has Been Discontinued?

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... i find the move to be tremendously worrisome ...

... it seems to me that the canadian government is actually bound by a lawful obligation to supply pennies to the canadian financial markets and has violated the law by discontinuing it ...

... any thoughts?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
There are far, far fewer cash transactions taking place anymore. And it probably diminishes more each year, I would bet. I think eventually all physical currency will be redundant.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
... i find the move to be tremendously worrisome ...

... it seems to me that the canadian government is actually bound by a lawful obligation to supply pennies to the canadian financial markets and has violated the law by discontinuing it ...

... any thoughts?

Well If I offered a penny for your thoughts I would be overpaying.

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
There are far, far fewer cash transactions taking place anymore. And it probably diminishes more each year, I would bet. I think eventually all physical currency will be redundant.
... i hope you're not right about that ...

... i try to stay as far away from banks as possible and pay as much with cash as i can so i find it disturbing to hear that the government is creating obstacles for people paying with cash ...

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well If I offered a penny for your thoughts I would be overpaying.

Goobs, be nice and wait for the thread to go off the rails first, lol. ;)

... i hope you're not right about that ...

... i try to stay as far away from banks as possible and pay as much with cash as i can so i find it disturbing to hear that the government is creating obstacles for people paying with cash ...

Why? Cash comes from the bank already, you must need to withdraw it at least. So why would loading up an electronic device be any different?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Why? Cash comes from the bank already, you must need to withdraw it at least. So why would loading up an electronic device be any different?

Only for you and for a very very short time. is that fair?

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011

... thanks for asking ...

... i prefer to administer my money myself, as opposed to having other parties (such as those operating an "electronic device") administer it. the less people involved the less chance of fraud and mistakes happening. been hit by bank and brokerage fraud too many times ...

... simple as that ...

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

Is there anything out there you can buy for a penny? When I was a kid there were penny candies but I don't think they're
around any more. I once spent a dollar on jawbreakers....three for a penny....I was the most popular kid in our school for
a while.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't have any mobile electronic devices and don't plan to get any. I prefer paying cash and not having to pay a transaction fee every time I buy something, so I lean in the Wizard's direction on this one. I guess the stores rounding up cash payments will amount to paying fees for transactions over time, but I don't feel like paying hundreds for a cell phone or other device and then paying for a user plan. Just doesn't make sense to me to join the mindless consumer crowd.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

... i prefer to administer my money myself, as opposed to having other parties (such as those operating an "electronic device") administer it. the less people involved the less chance of fraud and mistakes happening. been hit by bank and brokerage fraud too many times ...

... simple as that ...
Well, it might have helped if you hadn't gotten that big "M" tattooed on your forehead.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Is there anything out there you can buy for a penny? When I was a kid there were penny candies but I don't think they're
around any more. I once spent a dollar on jawbreakers....three for a penny....I was the most popular kid in our school for
a while.

There is nothing! The only "usefulness" of the penny, in my opinion, is prevent the need from having to round up everything at the cash registers. But really, big deal.

I used to work in a cash office at a store, counting money all day, lol. All cash is disgusting (dirty, bacteria ridden, yuck) but pennies are the absolute worst!!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

... simple as that ...

SO you admit that you got caught trying to defraud the bank?