shopping cart prank

Kakato
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

True, but our current system rewards them for getting in trouble. Jail should not be a comfy experience. At the same time there needs to be a better means of educating anyone in jail and much better access to addiction counciling.

I spent a few years at grande cache prison in construction when it went to medium security from minimum and there is nothing comfy about that place.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

True, but our current system rewards them for getting in trouble. Jail should not be a comfy experience. At the same time there needs to be a better means of educating anyone in jail and much better access to addiction counciling.

Oh absolutely! The current system is so convulted, the ones that could actually benefit from the help don't get what they need or they don't get it in time to do any good. Consequences are not just about punishment. There is definitely an element of restitution involved in punishment no doubt, as there should be, but it should also be a learning experience for anyone. At least then there is opportunity for improvement. I am not what anyone would define as a bleeding heart, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do honestly believe that any human being has the capacity to change.

Again a little common sense would go a long way.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

When it comes to raising kids...too many people don't have any. It's like the "spare the rod spoil the child" bullshyte that some spout on the one hand, and the "never spank a child" crap from the other end. No child is the same, all are individuals, and there is no "one size fits all" discipline when it comes to children. It's the brain dead morons that espouse the "one size fits all" that are and have caused the most problems.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

When it comes to raising kids...too many people don't have any. It's like the "spare the rod spoil the child" bullshyte that some spout on the one hand, and the "never spank a child" crap from the other end. No child is the same, all are individuals, and there is no "one size fits all" discipline when it comes to children. It's the brain dead morons that espouse the "one size fits all" that are and have caused the most problems.

Truer words were never spoken, some can be managed by just sitting down and talking (and listening) to them. Some benefit by having privileges removed, but at the same time keeping the door open so they can redeem themselves. Spankings and canings should be a last resort for serious issues like insubordinance, theft, lying etc. but should still be limited, as after a month of continual spanking they won't remember what one of them was for. People who maintain you should never spank a child are totally correct.......................for some children.

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

For sure. I'd go even further and suggest that extends far beyond child rearing. There seems to be, at least from my point of view, this increased/increasing propensity to latch onto an ideal or a philosophy then absolutely and steadfastly ignore everything else. It's one thing to have core values and principles, I'm not talking about that but there is a lot of 'one size fits all' thinking out there. Which of course is a misnomer, because it's not thinking, it is in fact the exact opposite.

Hell of a lot people seem to be trying to cram square pegs into round holes. But maybe it's always been that way and I'm just more aware of it now.

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by KakatoView Post

I spent a few years at grande cache prison in construction when it went to medium security from minimum and there is nothing comfy about that place.

Three meals and a warm bed every night is better than many of the guests grew up with.

Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Oh absolutely! The current system is so convulted, the ones that could actually benefit from the help don't get what they need or they don't get it in time to do any good. Consequences are not just about punishment. There is definitely an element of restitution involved in punishment no doubt, as there should be, but it should also be a learning experience for anyone. At least then there is opportunity for improvement. I am not what anyone would define as a bleeding heart, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do honestly believe that any human being has the capacity to change.

Some are just plain bad. This is where the do gooders fall down. They are basically nice people , just naive. They think everyone is like them and it simply isn't true.