Most clocks to move ahead this weekend

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
.....Except in Saskatchewan....& some pockets in B.C., I guess.

I'll have to remember to do exactly nothing, beyond replacing the
batteries in my smoke detectors. ;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

To me it would make a lot more sense just to get up an hour earlier (which is what we'll be doing) and leave the bloody clocks alone. By the time I get umpteen clocks changed it will be damn near time to turn them back anyway. :lol:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

That's because you Saskatchewaners are smart. We Ontarians could learn something from you.

To me it would make a lot more sense just to get up an hour earlier (which is what we'll be doing) and leave the bloody clocks alone. By the time I get umpteen clocks changed it will be damn near time to turn them back anyway. :lol:

Genious! Now only if Ontario can figure that one out.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yay! Tired, cranky accident prone people running around for the next 17 days. What a great idea daylight savings is.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How to survive the daylight saving time switch - Canada - CBC News

Looks like it's not even healthy according to this article above.

As for myself, I'll change my clock around as I alsways do but still sleep at the same time in terms of real time as I usually do, just meaning more free time before work and less time in the evening after work. Ridiculous.

hey Ron, how about you pass us Ontarions some of that Sask rational thought.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
If you think DST is conterproductive, what about the way the work week is organized? Right now, most workers have Sunday off, work five days, and then have Saturday off. The two days off are separated by five work days. Would it not make more sense to have Friday and Saturday off so that after working five days (Sunday through Thursday), workers would have two days off at the end of the week? Productivity would increase and DST would be a unnecessary diversion.

By the way, at our latitudes, the only season when DST would make sense is winter. Where I live, that's October through April.

Furthermore, I find it difficult getting up at 2:00 am to set the clocks ahead. The wife won't do it, and the dog doesn't have an opposable thumb to fiddle with the settings.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If you think DST is conterproductive, what about the way the work week is organized? Right now, most workers have Sunday off, work five days, and then have Saturday off. The two days off are separated by five work days. Would it not make more sense to have Friday and Saturday off so that after working five days (Sunday through Thursday), workers would have two days off at the end of the week? Productivity would increase and DST would be a unnecessary diversion.

By the way, at our latitudes, the only season when DST would make sense is winter. Where I live, that's October through April.

Furthermore, I find it difficult getting up at 2:00 am to set the clocks ahead. The wife won't do it, and the dog doesn't have an opposable thumb to fiddle with the settings.

Astounding thinking, somebody else should have thought of that years ago. Also having Sunday off before any work is done is downright poor work ethics. :smile:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How does Scooby Doo hold his joint? The dew claw?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Astounding thinking, somebody else should have thought of that years ago. Also having Sunday off before any work is done is downright poor work ethics. :smile:

Absolutely! That is simply rewarding the indolent! Besides, is not Saturday the sabbath and Friday the Moslem holy day, so the revision I propose would not offend the 17% of the population who are pious!?

How does Scooby Doo hold his joint? The dew claw?

Scooby doesn't hold his joint; he is not sexually active.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Damn!... Now Dizel's walk clock will be TWO hours fast...

Have you tried stopping from feeding him. That would reduce the frequency of walking the dog.
A note of interest...
My neighbour Henry says his great grandfather twice removed, as an economy measure in 06, tried teaching his racing pigeons to get by without eating. Henry says unfortunately just when the birds learnt, they died. Henry thinks it may have been a result of an early form of bird flu.

By the way, how does the government suggest roosters can be taught to crow DST?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Have you tried stopping from feeding him. That would reduce the frequency of walking the dog.
A note of interest...
My neighbour Henry says his great grandfather twice removed, as an economy measure in 06, tried teaching his racing pigeons to get by without eating. Henry says unfortunately just when the birds learnt, they died. Henry thinks it may have been a result of an early form of bird flu.

But I did hear the cows like D.S.T.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Don't get me started on cows. DST gives grass an extra hour to grow in the late evening. Cows are some of the most self-serving mammals on the planet, except, of course, our current government and its dumb-ox DST.

Have you noticed how DST morphed into GST. What in the hell is next?!!

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
A note of interest...

Bird flu.... It has such a natural ring to it....

Gee.... Time flies too. Suppose there's a connection?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Changing the clocks is one thing and not a problem as I just do it before I go to bed tonight. It's changing the darn clock in my car that finds me pulling my hair out and reading the manual trying to figure out which button to push next. :roll:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Time change. Wifey and I will draft up another letter to the gov't about the stupidity and point out how much it costs the gov't in taxpayer $s to have all the clocks in all the gov't buildings in the 40 some odd cities changed twice a year.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Changing the clocks is one thing and not a problem as I just do it before I go to bed tonight. It's changing the darn clock in my car that finds me pulling my hair out and reading the manual trying to figure out which button to push next. :roll:

Been through that, the one on the electric range is almost impossible to change, it seems like you have to push the button forever with about 300 lbs. pressure. My old stereo was another real ordeal, it seemed like you had to push two buttons at the same time while turning the third one with your mouth. :lol::lol:

Time change. Wifey and I will draft up another letter to the gov't about the stupidity and point out how much it costs the gov't in taxpayer $s to have all the clocks in all the gov't buildings in the 40 some odd cities changed twice a year.

Seems like we discuss this nonsense twice a year and nothing gets any better and the cows aren't giving any more milk.