On Friday, April 13, 2029, Apophis

Would you want to survive an asteroid hit

• Total voters

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It's amazing to me how everyone is so concerned about the end of a silly calendar 2012, when the real threat is an asteroid big enough to wipe out the earths population and will be so close to the earth, it will be under our own satellites.

If it goes through a key hole in space, where the earths gravity pulls it in.. we are toast in 2036. Crispy Toast.

99942 Apophis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NASA is tracking this.. it passes earth twice 2029 and 2036.. get a couple of tries to wipe us out..

[youtube]zazuzkO9nNk[/youtube]

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Looks unprobably. Only thing freaky is the close approach on a Friday the 13th in 2029.

There was one scientist that stated the calculation had not taken into effect the gravitational pull of other planets in our solar systems and predicted it would be a 32% change of hitting earth.

Without his opinion...Right now, it stands at 1-in-48,000 we get hit..

Just for reference, there is a 1-in-354,319 chance that you'll be killed in an airplane accident.

There is a 1-in-13,983,816 chance to win the 6/49 lotto, and how many people every day go out and buy a ticket with that hope.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is the kind of thing I use against people who say we shouldnt spend money on space exploration/travel. Eventually our species will depend on it to survive. If not this asteroid, it'll be another eventually.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
This is the kind of thing I use against people who say we shouldnt spend money on space exploration/travel. Eventually our species will depend on it to survive. If not this asteroid, it'll be another eventually.

I think we have a little bit of time,, with that said, how many here are aware of the fact that the Andromeda galaxy is speeding toward our galaxy, the Milky Way, at 200,000 miles per hour.

It will basically destroy the Milky Way, and suck most of it into the black hole in the center of the Andromeda galaxy.

Mind you it is 2.2 million light-years.. but it shows that everything you see around you is not for ever. The trees, lush fields, lakes, the vibrant colors.. it's so temporary in the grand scheme of things and how lucky we are to experience this now, in our lifetime.

[youtube]Cd9cBlvfjow[/youtube]

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
It's a Canadian forum.. they don't have Green Cards in Canada :p

It's called a Permanent Resident Card in Canada, and I was born in Canada. lived my childhood in Canada and most of my adult life in the USA.

Dual citizen. :p

I was referring to your VISA credit card.:smile:

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It's a Canadian forum.. they don't have Green Cards in Canada :p

It's called a Permanent Resident Card in Canada, and I was born in Canada. lived my childhood in Canada and most of my adult life in the USA.

Dual citizen. :p

So you learned to spell when you were an adult?:p

And I answered luck of the draw. Though with how hard life would be for the survivors, I don't think it's a given that one would call them fortunate.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I answered yes. Not so much because I like a challenge. More because I want to live.

ah, but define living when there is no food, clean water and you may die a slow death in the aftermath, or become someone else's food.

So you learned to spell when you were an adult?:p

Correct... :lol:

Not really, just found it easier to adopt my new countries custom.

Like metric.. I have no clue. Canada switched, I moved south.. never had a need.. can't stand metric.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
ah, but define living when there is no food, clean water and you may die a slow death in the aftermath, or become someone else's food.

This is such a cheerful thread.

Lol, it just seems so wrong to choose death. But whatever, no food, no water. Maybe I'll take a swan dive off Niagra Falls.

Unless it's obliterated by the asteroid of course. Need to work on a plan B.;)

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We will continue to need to spend money on space exploration the same as we should be
exploring the oceans and seas of the world as well. These are not only historical adventures
they are the future we need to discover to progress and survive. The universe is a wondrous
place it is also a dangerous and unforgiving part of existence. In this case know what confronts
us could mean getting no bang for our buck and that is important when large chunks of space
want to come and visit.