Should dolphins and whales have the right to life, liberty and wellbeing?

View Poll Results: Should cetaceans [marine mammals] have the right to life, liberty and wellbeing
Yes 8 34.78%
No 14 60.87%
Unsure 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

earth_as_one
By Community Team
Dolphins and whales deserve legal protection as non-human "persons" under the law (external - login to view), said scientists meeting in Vancouver over the weekend.

A Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans would mean that Lily, a bottlenose dolphin currently in an exhibit at the Georgia Aquarium, would be set free. (David Goldman/Associated Press)Researchers working in various fields such as animal behaviour, ethics and conservation told the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (external - login to view), held over the weekend, they want support for the Declaration of Rights for Cetaceans.

They said dolphins and whales are intelligent, self-aware creatures that should enjoy the same ethical considerations as humans.

That would mean the end of whaling, and of dolphin and whale exhibits in aquariums and zoos. The creatures would also no longer be used in entertainment.

Lori Marino of Emory University in Atlanta said dolphins can understand numbers and abstract concepts (external - login to view), have a concept of "self" and can recognize themselves in a mirror. She also said dolphins and whales have what we would consider cultural practices, such as mourning the dead.

The researchers urged the adoption of the Declaratino of Rights for Cetaceans, drafted in Helsinki in 2010, which states in part, "We affirm that all cetaceans [marine mammals including dolphins, whales and porpoises] as persons have the right to life, liberty and wellbeing."

Should dolphins and whales have rights as non-human persons? Let us know what you think.

Should dolphins and whales have 'human' rights? - Your Community

Walter
+2
They can have those rights as long as they don't get caught by man or are eaten by Orcas.

bill barilko
+2
What a load of codswallop!

Goober
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by earth_as_oneView Post

By Community Team
Dolphins and whales deserve legal protection as non-human "persons" under the law (external - login to view), said scientists meeting in Vancouver over the weekend. [/url]

Let me see - certain specific rights as they have the intelligence based upon certain abilities that have been noted.
So limited rights.
Would we then have limited rights for persons of lesser intelligence. I mean really. Riddle me that would ya.

dumpthemonarchy
Giving dolphins rights is a too much. But unlike sharks, piramhas, bears, wolves, octopus, dolphins don't try to eat people when they have a chance. People swim with dolphins many times and they have fun. Who swims with sharks? Aligators? No one.

Dolphins should enjoy more consideration, but rights have to be acknowledged and understood.

bill barilko
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

B]People swim with dolphins many times and they have fun.[/B]

FYI-The largest Dolphin of all is Orcinus Orca aka The Killer Whale or more accurately the Killer of Whales.

These beasts do kill humans (external - login to view) and gang rape is common in packs of Cetaceans.

Killer whale attacks a woman - YouTube (external - login to view)

Tonington
+2
So, who is going to interpret the cetaceans wishes? Rights are legal entities, whose word would the court consider?

L Gilbert
+1
"Should dolphins and whales have the right to life, liberty and wellbeing?"

Yup. The same as any other living being.

Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

FYI-The largest Dolphin of all is Orcinus Orca aka The Killer Whale or more accurately the Killer of Whales.

These beasts do kill humans (external - login to view) and gang rape is common in packs of Cetaceans.

So? Humans kill everything if it suits our purpose, even if all that purpose is, is greed.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

So, who is going to interpret the cetaceans wishes? Rights are legal entities, whose word would the court consider?

We don't need to kill Porposes or Orcas. Their relationship with each other we should leave to them.
Both of these creatures are intelligent enough that they don't deserve to be slaughtered by man if they
get caught in out fishing nets as happens in Japan fairly regularly.

L Gilbert
+3
There's really no point to killing unless it is for food or something to do with survival. But we indirectly cause the deaths of entire species simply by crowding them out or in some way destroying their habitat. And intelligence is irrelevant.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

There's really no point to killing unless it is for food or something to do with survival. But we indirectly cause the deaths of entire species simply by crowding them out or in some way destroying their habitat. And intelligence is irrelevant.

I don't believe intelligence is irrelivant. One day, I think, we will learn to communicate with Orcas and porposes and we'll be much richer for it. At this point I'm assuming that man is the more intelligent of these three but who can be sure.

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

I don't believe intelligence is irrelivant. One day, I think, we will learn to communicate with Orcas and porposes and we'll be much richer for it. At this point I'm assuming that man is the more intelligent of these three but who can be sure.

Not in that sense. But intelligence is irrelevant considering trees are just as important as dogs, ravens are just as important as bees, marine life is as important as humans, etc. to the survival of life on the planet.

Machjo
I voted unsure. If you mean legal rights, I'm very unsure, though I would certainly support laws against outright cruelty. Morally though, I avoid zoos, aquariums and such to not encourage it with my money.

Colpy
+3
Intelligence is NOT the rule by which the value of a life should be judged.

In fact, that is a very dangerous road to start down

Machjo
4 yes, 4 no, 4 unsure. Ha, I could have been the tie-breaker!

darkbeaver
Crows are smarter than those damn fish, but we won't see these bespecticeld scientific grant sucking parasites endorse crow rights anytime soon because they aren't cute like the fish. Why don't they get a muzzle on these mad scientists?

MHz
Crows already know how ****ed up humans are, fish are just getting the message.

#juan
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Except by showing intelligence, what other way would they attract our notice. In the OP whales and
porposes were mentioned as beings that warranted special consideration. In the vast order of things,
it is dificult to remove any species without disturbing a whole raft of other species that are at either
end of the food chain.

dumpthemonarchy
That was a scary video, but the big fish didn't chomp her up like an asparagus spear as it easily could have. Living in a bathtub drives a few of the orcas nuts I'm sure. It would be like living in a house all the time. Won't be too many people riding that pile of blubber soon.

Walter
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

So? Humans kill everything if it suits our purpose, even if all that purpose is, is greed.

Yes, get over it.

dumpthemonarchy
We already give special status to dolphins and whales by not eating them. No one can say, "I had dolphin sushi for dinner last night."

bill barilko
+1

We already give special status to dolphins and whales by not eating them. No one can say, "I had dolphin sushi for dinner last night."

FYI-you are abysmally out of touch with culinary reality-a number of societies regularly eat Cetacean meat-Iceland, Norway & Japan come to mind.

petros
+1
Shoot em' all and let God sort em' out.

dumpthemonarchy
Some countries are still in the dark ages on this.

CDNBear
+5
#25  Top Rated Post

Some countries are still in the dark ages on this.

What? Eating?

You really aren't that bright.

You don't own a silver Toyota Tacoma, with a little water damage do you?

Tonington
+1

We don't need to kill Porposes or Orcas. Their relationship with each other we should leave to them.
Both of these creatures are intelligent enough that they don't deserve to be slaughtered by man if they
get caught in out fishing nets as happens in Japan fairly regularly.

That's all well and good, but the right to life, liberty, and well being? They're wild animals, you can't incarcerate nature for killing or maiming...sure we can make laws to protect species and their habitats, and to punish illegal hunting, but that's about as far as we should go.

Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

I voted unsure. If you mean legal rights, I'm very unsure, though I would certainly support laws against outright cruelty. Morally though, I avoid zoos, aquariums and such to not encourage it with my money.

Do you know that some zoos and aquariums spend money on research and habitat protection? Some take in injured animals that cannot be rehabilitated. There is nothing morally wrong about teaching people about consequences, about biology.

#juan
Quote:

=Tonington;1550104]That's all well and good, but the right to life, liberty, and well being? They're wild animals, you can't incarcerate nature for killing or maiming...sure we can make laws to protect species and their habitats, and to punish illegal hunting, but that's about as far as we should go.

We are talking about beings that are very close to the top of the food chain. Porposes or dolphins seem to enjoy interacting with
humans. I don't think a dolphin has ever harmed a human but the Japanese kill hundreds every year when they get snarled in fishing nets.
Killer whales have attacked humans the odd time here and there but usually when the whales are in captive pools that are too small.

There shouldn't be any hunting of these animals.

Goober
+1

We are talking about beings that are very close to the top of the food chain. Porposes or dolphins seem to enjoy interacting with
humans. I don't think a dolphin has ever harmed a human but the Japanese kill hundreds every year when they get snarled in fishing nets.
Killer whales have attacked humans the odd time here and there but usually when the whales are in captive pools that are too small.

There shouldn't be any hunting of these animals.

Do we give them the vote

petros

. I don't think a dolphin has ever harmed a human but the Japanese kill hundreds every year when they get snarled in fishing .

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M9xF...eature=related (external - login to view)

earth_as_one
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Why? Are you personally afraid of something?

If some dolphins are just as intelligent as some humans, then why shouldn't some dolphins have the same protection as us. I'm talking about the right not to be exploited by humans... ie held in captivity or hunted as food and habitat protection. Possibly even a right to support and welfare.

I'd like to see conclusive proof of a high intelligence first before awarding human rights to non-humans.