Free Trade - Good or Bad?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Should we be getting into free trade deals with other nations?

Does free trade produce truly beneficial results between two nations that have significantly different economies?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Different economies trading utilizes the diversity of the differences. We have the raw goods needed to supply every economy on the planet. That is a huge bonus.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Different economies trading utilizes the diversity of the differences. We have the raw goods needed to supply every economy on the planet. That is a huge bonus.

Yes, but what if the demand is so strong that it begins to deplete our resources?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes, but what if the demand is so strong that it begins to deplete our resources?

Such as what? Do you think Canada would sell themselves into starvation, thirst, or run their factories dry?

What you're saying sounds a little apocalyptic.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Such as what? Do you think Canada would sell themselves into starvation, thirst, or run their factories dry?

What you're saying sounds a little apocalyptic.

Well, no, not starvation.

But when you begin to deplete resources, the cost of those resources goes up.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Precisely

Should we close this thread now? lol

There is a segment of the Canadian population that is vehemently opposed to Free Trade, it's always a bad deal.

Problem is that these folks assume that the same benefits will always be there resulting from Free Trade, but don't like the results of reciprocating.

That said, maybe it is time to close the thread.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm hearing that the cost of gas will go up as we export more. At least that's what I'm hearing.

I'm no econ expert, that's why I'm deferring to the experts. :)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
There is a segment of the Canadian population that is vehemently opposed to Free Trade, it's always a bad deal.

Problem is that these folks assume that the same benefits will always be there resulting from Free Trade, but don't like the results of reciprocating.

That said, maybe it is time to close the thread.

Canada is a nation with enormous resources and a relatively low population. Does this segment of the population simply want to hoard the resources and not trade or sell?