Scottish electrician looking to emigrate to canada

El_Brando

Feb 5, 2012
Hi all,

Looking for some advice for emigrating! I realise I will have to gain accreditation to be able to sparky over in Canada, but just really would like an idea of what the cost of living is like i.e rent, food, transport etc. Is the trade jobs plentiful? At the moment I carry out wiring inspections in buildings with a specialized uk company in domestic/industrial/commerical (this is NOT appliance testing!), is there firms for this or is it just mixed in with the general sparks? I would be classed as a general spark. Not to hot on industrial done a bit but prob need my hand held to start with if I went down this road! I've heard Montreal would be a great place to go.

Also I know Sean Connery if this is beneficial...

Cheers for your time

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'm not shocked you're seeking advice here. We have members with various experience. You should get some electrifying responses although there could be some resistance from the government red tape.
Cheers and welcome.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Come to Nakusp, BC so if Sean comes over for tea, you could invite me over to meet him.

Oh, ya, electricians are in short supply here.

Last edited:

El_Brando

Feb 5, 2012
Meat him????? Hmmm dont think he swings that way ;) ha ha.

Is that canadian for meet you?

cheers for info

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Meat him????? Hmmm dont think he swings that way ;) ha ha.

Is that canadian for meet you?

cheers for info
Haha. I'm eating chicken. Must have been a Freudian slip. Fixed it.

If you plan to come here, you should start using a capital C when referring to Canada and Canadian because you will just piss off bureaucrats who think that is important. Just sayin'.

El_Brando

Feb 5, 2012
Haha. I'm eating chicken. Must have been a Freudian slip. Fixed it.

If you plan to come here, you should start using a capital C when referring to Canada and Canadian because you will just piss off bureaucrats who think that is important. Just sayin'.

Sounds messy!

Ok cheers for info Canadian

;)

El_Brando

Feb 5, 2012
You're in!

Seriously have you been to the Govt website and done the online test to see if you qualify?

Electricians are indeed in short supply here-regulated province by province IIRC.

I've been on done it and it says I qualify, dont know how much costs yet but will find out. Previously enquired about australia, qualify for there as well, but be aswell keep my options open!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I've been on done it and it says I qualify, dont know how much costs yet but will find out. Previously enquired about australia, qualify for there as well, but be aswell keep my options open!
Climate is better in Aussie Land than most of Canada (except southern BC) but then you would have to put up with all those Aussie dudes who would rather punch your lights out than shake your hand. But then, you being Scottish, you might feel right at home there.

As for cost of living here, don't worry about it. At electricians wages, you shouldn't have any problems anywhere you settle.

El_Brando

Feb 5, 2012
Climate is better in Aussie Land than most of Canada (except southern BC) but then you would have to put up with all those Aussie dudes who would rather punch your lights out than shake your hand. But then, you being Scottish, you might feel right at home there.

As for cost of living here, don't worry about it. At electricians wages, you shouldn't have any problems anywhere you settle.

It's just how scots roll!! A shake of the hand and a glasgow kiss ha ha then a night in the cells ;)

Cheers for the info

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Hi all,

Looking for some advice for emigrating! I realise I will have to gain accreditation to be able to sparky over in Canada, but just really would like an idea of what the cost of living is like i.e rent, food, transport etc. Is the trade jobs plentiful? At the moment I carry out wiring inspections in buildings with a specialized uk company in domestic/industrial/commerical (this is NOT appliance testing!), is there firms for this or is it just mixed in with the general sparks? I would be classed as a general spark. Not to hot on industrial done a bit but prob need my hand held to start with if I went down this road! I've heard Montreal would be a great place to go.

Also I know Sean Connery if this is beneficial...

Cheers for your time

Canada is (geographically) about the size of Europe, more or less,
so it's tough to describe the cost of living, rents, etc...but Trades
(Electricians, Plumbers, etc...) are always in demend.

Regardless of what happens in the economy, everyone still want's
their lights to turn on and their toilets to flush. You'll be fine.

Climate is a big issue. Do some homework here. City vrs Country
living too can be an issue. What kind of life are you looking for?

Firearms laws (though tigher than the USA) are looser than what
you might expect. Being able to drive for 3-4 days straight in the
same direction without leaving Canada is a weird concept for some
from Europe to wrap their heads around.

I'm biased towards western Canada myself, but that's just me. You
will be fine regardless of where you settle.

El_Brando

Feb 5, 2012
Canada is (geographically) about the size of Europe, more or less,
so it's tough to describe the cost of living, rents, etc...but Trades
(Electricians, Plumbers, etc...) are always in demend.

Regardless of what happens in the economy, everyone still want's
their lights to turn on and their toilets to flush. You'll be fine.

Climate is a big issue. Do some homework here. City vrs Country
living too can be an issue. What kind of life are you looking for?

Firearms laws (though tigher than the USA) are looser than what
you might expect. Being able to drive for 3-4 days straight in the
same direction without leaving Canada is a weird concept for some
from Europe to wrap their heads around.

I'm biased towards western Canada myself, but that's just me. You
will be fine regardless of where you settle.

So should I expect my future neighbours to have guns! Would be city life for me the busier the better, what would be the best cities to gun (ahemm) for? dont mind the cold winters but sun in summer would be novel for a jock!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So should I expect my future neighbours to have guns! Would be city life for me the busier the better, what would be the best cities to gun (ahemm) for? dont mind the cold winters but sun in summer would be novel for a jock!

City neighbours...maybe but maybe not. Country neighbours...for sure (& you
too, I'd assume)!! You want to go out in your own yard on a Saturday and
plink old frying pans hanging in your trees (as long as it's safe to do so & you
are out in the country), have at it. Do that in a city & you're in deep crap.

Again, I'm biased towards the western 1/2 of the country, but that's what I am
most familiar with. Many here are from eastern Canada or throughout B.C. and
will have different outlooks. Me? I'm a prairie boy.