Show: Greatest Cities of the World (Hong Kong)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

ABC iView - Greatest Cities Of The World With Griff Rhys Jones Series 1

^ Click on the right section noting "Episode 6 Hong Kong" to watch.

I saw this on TV just last night here in Australia..... I jumped in around 9 mins into the episode when they were showing how massive and condensed Hong Kong is.

I first started to think just how crazy it'd be to live there, I wondered about how sturdy the buildings would be due to being built so fast and so close together.... I thought it was going to be an episode basically trashing China and Hong Kong in particular, but it was pretty straight forward & about as honest as one can get.

The host, Mr. Griff Rhys Jones.... is very British (er Welsh) and has a very Western perspective through the show, but also had quite the open mind and view towards what he sees and experiences.

The show doesn't just focus on the city & how it looks or is built, it also focuses on their way of life, their beliefs, their culture, their history.

It is not a place I'd want to live, but I appreciate their way of life, their culture, their beliefs.... they're just living their lives like everybody else in the world, just a little different.

I found it a refreshing perspective for once, where all our media and politicians only point out the bad things they could find, thumbing their nose at anything they could find to try and make them sound like they live horrible lives compared to our own.

They're just different from us, they are not better or worse and I hold a new appreciation for the Chinese. I'm aware that Hong Kong is not a representation of what the rest of China is like, and they point this out in the show..... but the people are happy, they have strong family values, they're deep into their spiritual beliefs and incorporate their faith with modern life far better than most other places in the world.

It's an interesting watch regardless of one's views.

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

ABC iView - Greatest Cities Of The World With Griff Rhys Jones Series 1

^ Click on the right section noting "Episode 6 Hong Kong" to watch.

I saw this on TV just last night here in Australia..... I jumped in around 9 mins into the episode when they were showing how massive and condensed Hong Kong is.

I first started to think just how crazy it'd be to live there, I wondered about how sturdy the buildings would be due to being built so fast and so close together.... I thought it was going to be an episode basically trashing China and Hong Kong in particular, but it was pretty straight forward & about as honest as one can get.

The host, Mr. Griff Rhys Jones.... is very British (er Welsh) and has a very Western perspective through the show, but also had quite the open mind and view towards what he sees and experiences.

The show doesn't just focus on the city & how it looks or is built, it also focuses on their way of life, their beliefs, their culture, their history.

It is not a place I'd want to live, but I appreciate their way of life, their culture, their beliefs.... they're just living their lives like everybody else in the world, just a little different.

I found it a refreshing perspective for once, where all our media and politicians only point out the bad things they could find, thumbing their nose at anything they could find to try and make them sound like they live horrible lives compared to our own.

They're just different from us, they are not better or worse and I hold a new appreciation for the Chinese. I'm aware that Hong Kong is not a representation of what the rest of China is like, and they point this out in the show..... but the people are happy, they have strong family values, they're deep into their spiritual beliefs and incorporate their faith with modern life far better than most other places in the world.

It's an interesting watch regardless of one's views.
Praxius

Thank you Praxius .
I'm glad you see it that way Praxius .You are lucky you left Canada . ( and I do not want it to sound as an insult) .

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Thank you Praxius .
I'm glad you see it that way Praxius .You are lucky you left Canada . ( and I do not want it to sound as an insult) .

Well I never held any negative feelings or opinions towards China or its people in the first place, but coverage of China back in North America is very narrow in perspective, where the main focus is toward the country being Communist, human rights issues, a country gearing up for war, etc..... yet seem to ignore that China... Hong Kong in particular, has more millionaires than anywhere else in the world, the people carry on with their lives much like people in the West do, money (or generally, "Fortune") is a big thing and children are at a much higher education standard than what I remember going through when growing up, and even in the video linked above, the host goes to a school and is dominated by the children in the class.... yet they seem happy, they're laughing, they enjoy what they're doing and don't seem very oppressed to me.

And everybody the host saw and spoke to, everyone was friendly and very open.

I just wouldn't want to live in Hong Kong because it's just way too big for my liking and a bit too crowded (as I'm someone who grew up surrounded by woods/forest.)

The people there are used to being crowded and the atmosphere..... they've always had a crap load of people.

The host did note about the rainy season where he said it can rain for three months straight or something like that and how he thought people must feel miserable, yet carry on with their lives..... but it's no different than Canadians dealing with months of snow and cold.... it's just a part of life you become used to..... just as Australians are used to it getting stinking hot in the summer.

Yes, China doesn't have a perfectly clean record on a few issues, but no country does.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Well I never held any negative feelings or opinions towards China or its people in the first place, but coverage of China back in North America is very narrow in perspective, where the main focus is toward the country being Communist, human rights issues, a country gearing up for war, etc..... yet seem to ignore that China... Hong Kong in particular, has more millionaires than anywhere else in the world, the people carry on with their lives much like people in the West do, money (or generally, "Fortune") is a big thing and children are at a much higher education standard than what I remember going through when growing up, and even in the video linked above, the host goes to a school and is dominated by the children in the class.... yet they seem happy, they're laughing, they enjoy what they're doing and don't seem very oppressed to me.

And everybody the host saw and spoke to, everyone was friendly and very open.

I just wouldn't want to live in Hong Kong because it's just way too big for my liking and a bit too crowded (as I'm someone who grew up surrounded by woods/forest.)

The people there are used to being crowded and the atmosphere..... they've always had a crap load of people.

The host did note about the rainy season where he said it can rain for three months straight or something like that and how he thought people must feel miserable, yet carry on with their lives..... but it's no different than Canadians dealing with months of snow and cold.... it's just a part of life you become used to..... just as Australians are used to it getting stinking hot in the summer.

Yes, China doesn't have a perfectly clean record on a few issues, but no country does.
Praxius
........but coverage of China back in North America is very narrow in perspective, where the main focus is toward the country being Communist, human rights issues, a country gearing up for war, etc.....

.........and it is accepted by a very narrow North American mind.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I'm glad you see it that way Praxius .You are lucky you left Canada . ( and I do not want it to sound as an insult)

You mean we are lucky you left Canada...... Dont think your the only one on the forum that enjoys international travel... Been there and doing that and Canada will always be my home... Probally the only reason why you like other countries is because your foreign born from that country and everyone loves meeting other people from other countries regardless if their shallow dumbies or not... Everyone wants to have a white friend.....

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++Johnnny

Probally the only reason why you like other countries is because your foreign born from that country and everyone loves meeting other people from other countries regardless if their shallow dumbies or not... Everyone wants to have a white friend.....
YOU ARE VERY MUCH MISTAKEN THAT'S NOT A PROBABILITY -THIS IS A FACT. I WAS BORN IN EUROPE in 1951 AND LIVED/ VISITED 3 COUNTRIES (IN EUROPE) BEFORE COMING TO CANADA IN 1964 . Had a chance to visit and reside in the great USof A for 7 ys. and spend 8 years in China and Australia in the 21st century .

Everyone wants to have a white friend.....
Wonder what color is your brain jOHNNY .....????????++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
If that isn't an insult, then what is it?

I think he meant that due to being in Australia, thus closer to China, there is more coverage, more media and more accuracy with regards to information about China..... which would be the same if I moved to Japan, or somewhere else not too far away.

Like how Canada gets a lot of coverage and media information from the US & Mexico (cuz they're right next door), Australia covers a lot of information and media from the rest of Asia. There is more exposure to their countries and their cultures.

It's not so much a fault of North America for not covering a lot of info on countries in the Asia/Pacific area, anymore than it's Australia & New Zealand's fault for not covering a lot of information on Canada or Mexico.

I noted Canada and Mexico, cuz not many here in Australia know much about Canada..... and some here thought Mexico was somewhere in South America, like next door to Brazil....

It's just something every country seems to do. You focus on your nearby neighbors and get well informed on them as much as possible due to them possibly impacting or influencing your way of life, while those on the other side of the planet are just places you only need the jist of.... regardless if it's accurate or not.

I think what China meant by me being lucky I left Canada, was only in regards to this information that was tossed on free-to-air TV for all to watch.... where something like this show would probably only be tossed onto Discovery Channel or the National Geographic Channel back in Canada, if at all.

Though it'd be nice if here in Australia, they'd have a few shows talking a bit more about Canada or other countries in the Americas. I didn't note the US, only because they're covered everywhere you go in the world anyways.... hell, I can still watch CNN here.

Oh and for the record, both my wife and I are thinking of heading back to Canada some time down the road.... there are many many similarities between the nations, yet each has their pros and cons.... some cons would be pros for some Canadians, and vice versa where some pros would be cons..... and same as Australians looking at Canada.

But I've only been here for just over a year now, while my wife stayed in Canada for 3..... it's only fair that I give Australia an equal chance before we make a final decision.

It is a bit more of a nanny state than Canada..... the main thing is the contradictions where teens are giving a drivers license and allowed to drink at the same time, yet claim the #1 killer on their roads are speeders, so there's speed cameras all over the place and if you go so much as 3kmh over the speed limit, you're in crap.

I liked how back in Nova Scotia, you had a 10kmh lee way before Cops started to look at you.

Smoking restrictions are a little more slack than in Canada in some ways, but at the same time, they're trying to introduce plain packaging on cigarettes, where every pack would be a cardboard barf-brown with plain text written on the front for the brand name..... cuz apparently the colours and logos attract mindless children, and if they're plain and boring, people will magically not want to smoke anymore.

..... perhaps they should take a look at how many in Canada smoke those big bags of cigarettes from reserves. No logos or fancy packaging there.

Man... even their dope is more expensive.

Most of their news media have a bit of a US spin to things, in that they have a much more level of bias in reports compared to say CTV, CBC or Global.

Sure CBC and CTV have their own bias spin on things, but it's subtle in comparison.

There's a few other things that are a little odd to me, but there are also many good things and benefits here in Australia compared to Canada.

Perhaps in another two years, I'll be able to weigh it all and we can decide which country we'll call home.

Considering we had our first born in early December (surprise, never mentioned that before here) we'll try and determine where we'll live before he's old enough for school.

Lucky for him, he's already a Dual Citizen of both nations.... an International Man of Mystery.

Last edited:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
PRAXIUS

THANKS AGAIN ,; THIS WHAT I MEANT WHEN WHEN I SAD YOU ARE LUCKY THAT YOU LEFT CANADA :..........

PRAXIUS
"I found it a refreshing perspective for once, where all our media and politicians only point out the bad things they could find, thumbing their nose at anything they could find to try and make them sound like they live horrible lives compared to our own".

PS: IN AUSTRALIA THE MEDICAL IS FREE AND THERE IS NO WAITING LINE IN ORDER TO BE ADMITTED INTO HOSPITAL . THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF DOCTORS AND THEY (DOCTORS) COME FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD . IN CANADA I 'VE MET SOME PHD'RS DELIVERING PIZZA to my houce .....AND THAT'S NOT "refreshing" .

Last edited:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
.... PS: IN AUSTRALIA THE MEDICAL IS FREE AND THERE IS NO WAITING LINE IN ORDER TO BE ADMITTED INTO HOSPITAL . THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF DOCTORS AND THEY (DOCTORS) COME FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD . IN CANADA I 'VE MET SOME PHD'RS DELIVERING PIZZA to my houce .....AND THAT'S NOT "refreshing" .

Just as a correction, Australia has a hybrid between private and public health care. If you make a certain amount of money a year, you are required to get private health coverage, otherwise you end up paying more taxes.

The health care system from my observations since having my son delivered here, is that the medical system is just as good/bad as what exists in Canada.

And there are wait times.