How Doctors Die

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I like this quote:
To administer medical care that makes people suffer is anguishing. Physicians are trained to gather information without revealing any of their own feelings, but in private, among fellow doctors, they’ll vent. “How can anyone do that to their family members?” they’ll ask.

Sums it up nicely. Just because we can do something, should we do it?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This is the part that got me thinking,

They want to be sure, when the time comes, that no heroic measures will happen—that they will never experience, during their last moments on earth, someone breaking their ribs in an attempt to resuscitate them with CPR (that’s what happens if CPR is done right).

simply because I'd never really contemplated before what the experience might be like. And I have to ask myself, do I want this to be my last memory?

It made me think of my grandmother who, in her last year of life, suffered a stroke and a weakening heart. Her lungs were constantly filling with fluids, it was distressful if not outright painful for her. On each trip to the hospital to deal with her breathing difficulties, she told everyone that there were to be no extraordinary/life saving measures. And there weren't. An hour after my son and I visited her in hospital, she passed. I'm grateful she didn't have to suffer through CPR, which in her state would have been nothing short of a violent assault upon her frail body.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is the part that got me thinking,

simply because I'd never really contemplated before what the experience might be like. And I have to ask myself, do I want this to be my last memory?

It made me think of my grandmother who, in her last year of life, suffered a stroke and a weakening heart. Her lungs were constantly filling with fluids, it was distressful if not outright painful for her. On each trip to the hospital to deal with her breathing difficulties, she told everyone that there were to be no extraordinary/life saving measures. And there weren't. An hour after my son and I visited her in hospital, she passed. I'm grateful she didn't have to suffer through CPR, which in her state would have been nothing short of a violent assault upon her frail body.

I can relate to that, minutes before my Mum died at age 85 from heart problems she said to the nurse, "I want you to promise me that nothing will be done in an attempt to extend my life", and then she died peacefully. By the same token I'm sure I wouldn't let go that easily, I sort of believe that while there is (reasonable) life there is hope.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I can relate to that, minutes before my Mum died at age 85 from heart problems she said to the nurse, "I want you to promise me that nothing will be done in an attempt to extend my life", and then she died peacefully. By the same token I'm sure I wouldn't let go that easily, I sort of believe that while there is (reasonable) life there is hope.

I guess it all comes down to that almost unanswerable question, "what is reasonable?". I guess I've always thought that when I was truly done, I'd know. But perhaps that's a romantic notion.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I guess it all comes down to that almost unanswerable question, "what is reasonable?". I guess I've always thought that when I was truly done, I'd know. But perhaps that's a romantic notion.

To me it would mean regaining a level of health that would allow me to continue an enjoyable level of life without being a burden on others. If it's help lifting heavy objects OK, if it's help with body functions..............NO WAY! :smile:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
To me it would mean regaining a level of health that would allow me to continue an enjoyable level of life without being a burden on others. If it's help lifting heavy objects OK, if it's help with body functions..............NO WAY! :smile:

There's a hell of a lot of life in between heavy objects and assisted bodily functions. Anyway, it's not just about extraordinary measures, it's also about choices made when dealing with life threatening illnesses too. Easy to say to 'choose life' but sometimes the quality of life suffers depending upon the methods of treatment.

It's just a lot to think about. It's not an easy question, and to me, there are no easy answers.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There's a hell of a lot of life in between heavy objects and assisted bodily functions. Anyway, it's not just about extraordinary measures, it's also about choices made when dealing with life threatening illnesses too. Easy to say to 'choose life' but sometimes the quality of life suffers depending upon the methods of treatment.

It's just a lot to think about. It's not an easy question, and to me, there are no easy answers.

Wise you are indeed. The only thing I'd add is if multiple vital organs are shutting down in an elderly person, it's probably time to "call it a day". :smile:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Wise you are indeed. The only thing I'd add is if multiple vital organs are shutting down in an elderly person, it's probably time to "call it a day". :smile:

I'm definitely going to be having many dialogues with my kids during the next couple of decades. Not the sort of thing I want them wondering about what I would want.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm definitely going to be having many dialogues with my kids during the next couple of decades. Not the sort of thing I want them wondering about what I would want.

Depending on ones financial status it can be a bit of a quandary how much encouragement one's kids need! :lol::lol::lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
LOL. Sadly not worth much (financially speaking) alive or dead.

Yep, there is definitely an up side to not being rich. You don't have to worry about family and if you have no friends you don't have to wonder why! :lol:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Yep, there is definitely an up side to not being rich. You don't have to worry about family and if you have no friends you don't have to wonder why! :lol:

It's like I always say, "Better to be poor. It's cheaper." :)

But I do have friends though. What I lack in material possessions I make up for in charm and wit, lol.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It's like I always say, "Better to be poor. It's cheaper." :)

But I do have friends though. What I lack in material possessions I make up for in charm and wit, lol.

You're lucky, I'm just rude, crude and lewd! :lol:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
An opinion piece written by a physician that I found interesting and certainly thought provoking.

How Doctors Die « Zócalo Public Square
Interesting.
Around here, and in other rural areas, there are shortages of doctors. So should we expect doctors not to retire? For as they swear an oath not to do harm, removing themselves from doctoring causes harm indirectly. And not seeking out the best treatments doctors can get to combat their own ailments, indirectly does the same thing.