CPC in parliamentary poop for saying 'scrapped'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Okay.. this is taking it a bit far, isn't it?

Gun registry not dead yet, Tories told

The federal Conservative Party has launched a website and a series of radio ads to boast that the government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper has finally killed the registry that records the ownership of rifles and shotguns.

“The Harper government has followed through on their promise and has scrapped the wasteful and ineffective long-gun registry,” proclaims the website that can be found at Scrap The Long-Gun Registry..

But opposition members and gun-control advocates say the messaging is premature. The bill to end the registry, a long-time goal of the Conservatives, has not yet made it through the House of Commons, been passed by the Senate, or given royal assent.

The Conservatives have a majority in both the House and the Senate, so the legislation will likely become law early in the new year.

But Michael Bryant, the former attorney-general for the province of Ontario and a supporter of the registry, says the ad announcing its demise could be construed as contempt of Parliament.

“The government, and that includes the Conservative Party, cannot misinform the public that a bill has passed when in fact it’s not passed,” said Mr. Bryant. “And it’s contemptuous of Parliament because it presumes a parliamentary result before there’s been a vote.”

New Democratic MP Jack Harris said the claim that the gun registry has been scrapped is preposterous. “They have the website that literally says ‘scrapped,’ past tense. That’s absolute nonsense,” he said.

The ads, said Ms. Hoeppner, were created to make sure people across the country know that the registry is ending. The Conservatives maintain that the registry has demonized law-abiding farmers and hunters, while doing nothing to prevent crime.

The distraught young man who opened fire on an Alberta highway last week and killed three other young people before turning the gun on himself used weapons that had been registered.

Gun registry not dead yet, Tories told - The Globe and Mail

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
contempt doesn't mean anything to you people does it !? Just more chocolate pudding,eat it up,you seem to like it.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
contempt doesn't mean anything to you people does it !? Just more chocolate pudding,eat it up,you seem to like it.

Sure it does, the Harper Cons may well be in contempt of parliament, but they are doing what they promised in this regard. The Chretien Liberals were in contempt of the people when they enacted the thing saying that it had nothing to do with confiscation when it had everything to do with confiscation, that was the intent to begin with, duh! They even paid lobbyists to pad the statistics, which led the then commissioner of the RCMP to refute these stats in writing. The liberals never campaigned on any promise to disarm law abiding citizens, this was their hidden agenda dating back to theTrudeau era. I am prepared to accept contempt of parliament if it is necessary to correct unjust legislation, but I will not accept contempt of any kind to allow enactment of legislation that restricts liberty without cause.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I am prepared to accept contempt of parliament if it is necessary to correct unjust legislation, but I will not accept contempt of any kind to allow enactment of legislation that restricts liberty without cause.

Unfortunately for you, this contempt of parliament wasn't necessary to correct unjust legislation.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Unfortunately for you, this contempt of parliament wasn't necessary to correct unjust legislation.

The usual suspects present, Lessons on How to Spin #1.

Note the absence of "could be construed" when bringing up contempt of Parliament. Taking it from could be seen as, and insinuating it is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Surely there is more important sh*t to worry about than this- it's a done deal and finished with! :roll:

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
The usual suspects present, Lessons on How to Spin #1.

Note the absence of "could be construed" when bringing up contempt of Parliament. Taking it from could be seen as, and insinuating it is.

The usual foot in mouth from yours truly. I was just responding to Bob's post about a hypothetical ruling that it is contempt, but thanks for your desperate attempt to defame - Harper taught you well. ;)

For my part, I'm still undecided on it, hence my opening statement in the OP.

This seems a bit of petty politics but it remains to be seen if it has parliamentary teeth.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
"But Michael Bryant, the former attorney-general for the province of Ontario and a supporter of the registry, says the ad announcing its demise could be construed as contempt of Parliament."

Funny how the apologists get their collective panties all in a bunch when the gvt announces their published plans, somehow this equates to contempt of Parliament.This is one of those rare occasions where a sitting gvt actually keeps a promise, hell, this warrants a new federal stat holiday in my books

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Ya know, there's about as much use in Canada for a Troll Registry as there is for a long gun registry.

Maybe, but it apparently can be construed that advertising before the bill takes effect might possibly be contempt of parliament.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Maybe, but it apparently can be construed that advertising before the bill takes effect might possibly be contempt of parliament.

... Or, it's more accurate to say that the CPC is simply living up to a promise that they publicly announced a few years ago.

They control both levels, so there is no possible reason that it won't go through.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
... Or, it's more accurate to say that the CPC is simply living up to a promise that they publicly announced a few years ago.

They control both levels, so there is no possible reason that it won't go through.

Who are you talking to?

I never said it wouldn't through or they aren't living up to their promise.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What does this trolling have to do with the thread?
As much as your spin.

C'est la vie.

Says a Liberal with a proven track record of poor decision making skills.

Sorry if I take his assertions with a train load of salt.

I never said it wouldn't through or they aren't living up to their promise.
That and the fact that the site mentioned doesn't make any claims regarding being passed into legislation, makes Bryant's assertion and your further spin, the usual ideological hot air.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
That and the fact that the site mentioned doesn't make any claims regarding being passed into legislation, makes Bryant's assertion and your further spin, the usual ideological hot air.

Explain how being critical (that is to say, not necessarily agreeing with the Liberal's assertion) is ideological.

I was directing my comments at your post.

Understanding that you are 'undecided' relative to the OP, my question is this: Why post this nonsense at all?

It's news.
--

Back in 1989, then-Commons Speaker John Fraser thwapped the Progressive Conservative government of the day for running newspaper advertisements that suggested the adoption of the GST was a fait accompli months before it had even passed the House, let alone the Senate.

In his ruling, in which he found no technical breach of privilege, Fraser warned that he would "not be so generous" if such a controversy presented itself in future:

I expect the Department of Finance and other departments to study this ruling carefully and remind everyone within the Public Service that we are a parliamentary democracy, not a so-called executive democracy, nor a so-called administrative democracy.

[...] I believe it is in the interest of our parliamentary system of government to have a clear statement from the Speaker which cannot be misinterpreted either in debate or by a vote. A vote on this issue might not support the very important message which your Speaker wishes to convey and which I hope will be, well considered in the future by governments, departmental officials and advertisement agencies retained by them.

This advertisement may not be a contempt of the House in the narrow confines of a procedural definition, but it is, in my opinion, ill--conceived and it does a great disservice to the great traditions of this place. If we do not preserve these great traditions, our freedoms are at peril and our conventions become a mockery. I insist, and I believe I am supported by the majority of moderate and responsible members on both sides of the House, that this ad is objectionable and should never be repeated.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/inside-politics-blog/2011/12/gun-registry-stuff-tk.html

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Explain how being critical (that is to say, not necessarily agreeing with the Liberal's assertion) is ideological.
Ummm...

The fact that you can back peddle well, doesn't erase the spin.

I'd be more apt to believe it was an error on your part, if it wasn't your usual SOP.

It's news.
I agree the original story is news.

What would you call changing a possible, into a definite, is, if not spin?

Last edited:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

It's not unfortunate for me. Why would it be? And no, it wasn't necessary, if it is in fact, contempt of parliament. What I said was that I would accept contempt of parliament if the intent is to correct unjust legislation, that would include invoking closure, proroguing parliament or many other nasty tricks that could be used, if necessary. Personally, I think what the CPC is guilty of here is a bit of bad form, gloating maybe, that they accomplished what the promised after many years of trying. Sure, its not a done deal yet, but since they have had an an amnesty on non restricted firearm registration for what, five years, and now with a majority in both the house and senate, the certainty of the bill passing is as likey as the sun coming up tomorrow. What is uncertain is to what lengths the opposition will go kill the bill.