On first Navy ship home since repeal of gay ban a first kiss

In Between Man
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

If you're intolerant of a lifestyle, then it's awful hard to be truly accepting.

Clearly it didn't sink in what I just told you. I just said Gerry, that tolerance does NOT equal acceptance. They're two completely different things. I tolerate homosexuality but I don't accept it (accept its validity).

Quit hijacking the English language:

quotThe Liberal Abuse of the English Languagequot - HIJACKED WORDS - Dr Grace Vuoto - YouTube

bluebyrd35

ok blubyrd.... you are going to have to explain why I got a thumbs down on my post. Most thumbs down I can figure out the why's pretty quick, but considering you are not a homophobe from your post, I don't understand why the TD on mine. In reality, I really don't give a shyte, but am just wondering if this is another example of your inability to comprehend a post because of your limited mentality.

Sorry about that, but I am so used to the Old Boys Club and it's behaviour it was a conditioned reflex.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

Clearly it didn't sink in what I just told you. I just said Gerry, that tolerance does NOT equal acceptance. They're two completely different things. I tolerate homosexuality but I don't accept it (accept its validity).

Quit hijacking the English language:

quotThe Liberal Abuse of the English Languagequot - HIJACKED WORDS - Dr Grace Vuoto - YouTube

BS, you don't even tolerate it from your post. To suggest that the 2 ladies kissing on the pier, something hetro's have been doing forever, is all about the "homosexual agenda" rather than finally being able to show their love the same as everyone else, is showing your intolerance.

In Between Man

BS, you don't even tolerate it from your post. To suggest that the 2 ladies kissing on the pier, something hetro's have been doing forever, is all about the "homosexual agenda" rather than finally being able to show their love the same as everyone else, is showing your intolerance.

Incorrect! If I didn't tolerate it I would foolishly advocate that they be forcibly stopped for example. You can be tolerate (let them do their thing) and still have an opinion (there's a political movement to normalize homosexuality) at the same time.

What you want me to do is to ACCEPT it. Consider it VALID. That's not tolerance, that's a whole other ball of wax.

For example, when skinheads hold a rally, we TOLERATE them preaching hate, we don't ACCEPT it as VALID!

Again, tolerance and acceptance are two completely different things, and you're trying to mash them together.

petros
+1
Would you tolerate or accept a gay family member?

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Would you tolerate or accept a gay family member?

Male or female? I think some would differentiate.

petros
Why would it matter?

SLM
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Male or female? I think some would differentiate.

Are you suggesting that one gender is more accepting than the other? Or that we view lesbians and gay men differently?

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Are you suggesting that one gender is more accepting than the other? Or that we view lesbians and gay men differently?

Of course, because there are some hypocrites that consider 2 females getting it on together to be a major turn on and a.o.k. Whereas 2 guys getting it on is just "sick".

taxslave
+1

I think that a lot of men do yes. I could care less.

bluebyrd35
Quote: Originally Posted by In Between ManView Post

Tolerance is the best solution.

I tolerate the neighbours dog but I accept that love takes many forms.

SLM

Of course, because there are some hypocrites that consider 2 females getting it on together to be a major turn on and a.o.k. Whereas 2 guys getting it on is just "sick".

Yeah, that's the stereotypical and superficial attitude. Although I get what you mean when you say hypocrite, personally I'd say instead of hypocrisy, it's more about objectification of women. It's less about accepting homosexual orientation and relationships between women and more about making them objects for their own sexual gratification.

I just wish people would get over themselves and stop judging other people based on whom they fall in love with. It's small minded and petty.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you did. I just wasn't sure if that was what you meant or if we (meaning some people) have different attitudes towards our sons being gay or our daughters being lesbians. Meaning one is more acceptable than the other.

DaSleeper

In either cases, it's not something I wake up thinking about, or go to bed with it on my mind.....and if it wasn't for this thread??? I wouldn't have thought about it all day

I don't know about acceptance or tolerance but ......in french it's called "Laissez-Faire"

SLM
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

In either cases, it's not something I wake up thinking about, or go to bed with it on my mind.....and if it wasn't for this thread??? I wouldn't have thought about it all day

It's not important that you or anyone really thinks about this all the time. What is important is that, when you do think of it, what are you thinking?

Quote:

I don't know about acceptance or tolerance but ......in french it's called "Laissez-Faire"

To me, tolerance implies a superiority that acceptance does not. Tolerance is, "I'll put up with you" whereas acceptance is simply "I accept you". Which one would make you feel more welcome?

Ron in Regina
+1
If someone is Gay or Straight....really?.....who cares?

If someone of the same gender makes a pass at you...
So what? Try, "Hey, I'm flattered, but That's not my bag"
....and you you move on in the conversation. No big thing.

As far as the "two chicks" vrs "two dudes" making out in front
of you goes....I wouldn't be comfortable with a Hetro couple
making out in front of me either, so I'll pass on the whole
situation....& a kiss isn't making out.

I'm think'n this is much ado 'bout nothing.

taxslave
+2

Yeah, that's the stereotypical and superficial attitude. Although I get what you mean when you say hypocrite, personally I'd say instead of hypocrisy, it's more about objectification of women. It's less about accepting homosexual orientation and relationships between women and more about making them objects for their own sexual gratification.

I just wish people would get over themselves and stop judging other people based on whom they fall in love with. It's small minded and petty.

I wasn't trying to suggest that you did. I just wasn't sure if that was what you meant or if we (meaning some people) have different attitudes towards our sons being gay or our daughters being lesbians. Meaning one is more acceptable than the other.

Much like Ger said. Just ask the men you know how they feel about watching 2 lesbians have sex then how they feel about watching two men.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

If someone is Gay or Straight....really?.....who cares?

If someone of the same gender makes a pass at you...
So what? Try, "Hey, I'm flattered, but That's not my bag"
....and you you move on in the conversation. No big thing.

As far as the "two chicks" vrs "two dudes" making out in front
of you goes....I wouldn't be comfortable with a Hetro couple
making out in front of me either, so I'll pass on the whole
situation....& a kiss isn't making out.

I'm think'n this is much ado 'bout nothing.

So a clump hump is out?

Ron in Regina
+3

Much like Ger said. Just ask the men you know how they feel about watching 2 lesbians have sex then how they feel about watching two men.

I think it would be pretty creepy watching anyone have sex,
regardless of the participates. Some things are private, and
that would be pretty darn close to the top of the "private" list.

SLM

As if two lesbians are going to let any guy watch anyhow. It's all fantasy and, as I said before, more about the sexual objectification of women than anything else.

But the initial question, which I believe Petros posited, was more about how those who express intolerance would react to a family member who's gay. So the question is really about sons and daughters for the most part.

Quote: Originally Posted by Ron in ReginaView Post

I think it would be pretty creepy watching anyone have sex,
regardless of the participates. Some things are private, and
that would be pretty darn close to the top of the "private" list.

I think there's a whole straight to video industry that would beg to differ with you.

taxslave
+1
I'll let you know for sure when my grandchildren are old enough to figure it out. SOmehow I don't think it will make any difference.
The best man at my first wedding 35 or so years ago is gay and we grew up together. It took him quite a number of years to figure it out but none of us were surprised.

petros
+2
You ain't seen nothin' 'til you've seen your brother do a drag show.

gerryh
+1

You ain't seen nothin' 'til you've seen your brother do a drag show.

My brother is as straight as they come when it comes to hetro's, but when he was a teen..... with a stuffed bra, wig,..... he made one hell of a drag queen....lol

petros
+2
Mine used to turn tricks too but he's still my brother (my kid calls him Auntie ____) and nothing can freak me out anymore.

gerryh
+1

Mine used to turn tricks too but he's still my brother (my kid calls him Auntie ____) and nothing can freak me out anymore.

Well, with mine it was a joke..... surprising though that he made such a great drag queen.... is straight as straight can be and I'm the one that's bi.... lol

petros
+1
Burt does he have several styles of guy size 12 bitch boots?

gerryh

Burt does he have several styles of guy size 12 bitch boots?

ummmmmmmm.... nope...lol

petros
+2
fishnets for a 6'3" 250lb man apparently aren't easy to come by.

gerryh
+1

ROFLMFAO.... Oh my Gawd..... yer killin me here.

petros
Somewhere I have pictures.

SLM
+1

I'll let you know for sure when my grandchildren are old enough to figure it out. SOmehow I don't think it will make any difference.

It wouldn't make one bit of difference.

Quote:

The best man at my first wedding 35 or so years ago is gay and we grew up together. It took him quite a number of years to figure it out but none of us were surprised.

My son is gay. He is an amazing and wonderful young man and he is finally happy and at peace with himself. It is an awesome thing to watch your kid find true joy and happiness within themselves. I'm proud of him.

LMAO. That's gotta be a lot of fishnets.

earth_as_one
I'll re post this for people who believe that gay parents aren't as good as straight parents:

Study: Children of Lesbians May Do Better Than Their Peers
...children in lesbian homes scored higher than kids in straight families on some psychological measures of self-esteem and confidence, did better academically and were less likely to have behavioral problems, such as rule-breaking and aggression...
Read more: Kids with Lesbian Parents May Do Better Than Their Peers - TIME (external - login to view)