Stupid, Dumb and Just Plain Ignorant Cop Thread

TenPenny
I love watching people be dicks for no apparent reason.

It's amusing.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

It's amusing.

The key word is there is "apparent"

CDNBear
+5
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Then wonder why they get hassled, written more tickets and oft lose in court.

I got pulled over yesterday, for speeding.

I passed a line of cars in a passing zone, but I broke 100kmh, and the lead car in the row of cars in the opposing lane, was a Durham cruiser.

As soon as I pulled back in and the cruiser passed me heading the opposite way, I saw his lights go on.

I immediately hit my signal, and pulled over, to wait for him to turn around and come get me.

I was sure I was getting a ticket, since Durham Regional is a force that takes on a lot of young Cops, so they can cut their teeth. And are known for their by the book attitude.

The cruiser pulled in behind me, I rolled down the window, and the young Officer walked up to my window...

Me, "You got me."

Officer, "Ya I clocked you at 105."

Me, as I chuckled, "Yep, that sounds about right. That jackass in the white Nissan was doing 65 all the way along 48. I know, no excuse, but I just couldn't take it anymore."

Officer, "Where'r you headed?"

Me, "Just up to Rama, to see some friends."

Officer, "Ok, can I see your license, ownership and proof of insurance please."

I hand him all the usual paperwork.

Officer, "Sit tight, I'll be right back."

About 4 minutes passes...

Officer, "Here's your paperwork. I'm not going to give you a ticket. You pulled over and waited for me. That made me laugh."

Me, "Hey, I knew you had me on radar, I saw you lookin', as soon as I saw the lights, I knew I was done. Why make you chase me down?"

Officer, "Ya, I appreciated that, thanks."

Me, "No worries bru. I appreciate the no ticket part."

Officer, "Ya well, take it a little easier please."

Me, "I will Officer, and thanks."

Office, "K, have a good day."

He puts his hand out to shake my hand. Of course I shook it.

And on we went sans ticket...

SLM
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Then wonder why they get hassled, written more tickets and oft lose in court.

I got pulled over yesterday, for speeding.

I passed a line of cars in a passing zone, but I broke 100kmh, and the lead car in the row of cars in the opposing lane, was a Durham cruiser.

As soon as I pulled back in and the cruiser passed me heading the opposite way, I saw his lights go on.

I immediately hit my signal, and pulled over, to wait for him to turn around and come get me.

I was sure I was getting a ticket, since Durham Regional is a force that takes on a lot of young Cops, so they can cut their teeth. And are known for their by the book attitude.

The cruiser pulled in behind me, I rolled down the window, and the young Officer walked up to my window...

Me, "You got me."

Officer, "Ya I clocked you at 105."

Me, as I chuckled, "Yep, that sounds about right. That jackass in the white Nissan was doing 65 all the way along 48. I know, no excuse, but I just couldn't take it anymore."

Officer, "Where'r you headed?"

Me, "Just up to Rama, to see some friends."

Officer, "Ok, can I see your license, ownership and proof of insurance please."

I hand him all the usual paperwork.

Officer, "Sit tight, I'll be right back."

About 4 minutes passes...

Officer, "Here's your paperwork. I'm not going to give you a ticket. You pulled over and waited for me. That made me laugh."

Me, "Hey, I knew you had me on radar, I saw you lookin', as soon as I saw the lights, I knew I was done. Why make you chase me down?"

Sometimes the right attitude can make all the difference in the world.

lone wolf
+2
I can give you a dozen or so similar anecdotes. The few buttheads I did butt heads with, I did it in Court. Two of them aren't even cops any more....

I wouldn't want the job for all the tea in China....

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I can give you a dozen or so similar anecdotes. The few buttheads I did butt heads with, I did it in Court. Two of them aren't even cops any more....

It's just like any other group. The jackasses are usually fewer in number, they're just more memorable.

Quote:

I wouldn't want the job for all the tea in China....

I wouldn't want it either.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Sometimes the right attitude can make all the difference in the world.

Yep...

I can give you a dozen or so similar anecdotes.

Same here. The most serious would be the one where the OPP pulled me over on a weapons complaint. Having a PAL, and all my firearms being registered, I could have been a dick, with some warrant. But I chose to give no attitude and comply. Making the whole issue end in less than 20 minutes. Had I been a dick, it would have taken much longer.

Something tells me, people who cry about all sorts of bad relations with Police Officers, young old, new or seasoned, act like dicks, a lot.

lone wolf
+2
Oh, I can be a dick when warranted - like that young OPP attitude I locked horns with outside a North Bay courtroom (re a friend who was charged with resisting in which I was witness)

Me: What is resisting arrest?

He: That is any means whereby one attempts to evade lawful custody.

Me: Does that include covering up so you can't kick ALL his ribs in?

He: You don't have much respect for the law, do you?

Me: I have all sorts of respect for the law. It's the flavour of the man in the uniform I'm questioning ... and keep in mind: It only takes one of you to paint a target on ten good cops.

Whereupon he took a couple of agitated steps in my direction before a North Bay City Police sergeant put a hand up and told him: Listen. He's giving you some good intel.

Last I heard, he's a security guard....

CDNBear

Oh, I can be a dick when warranted -

That's not being a dick, that's righteous indignation.

There's a world of difference.

lone wolf
+2
The dick part was me hoping he'd slug me in front of all those witnesses and the camera.....

L Gilbert
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

Then wonder why they get hassled, written more tickets and oft lose in court.Me, "Hey, I knew you had me on radar, I saw you lookin', as soon as I saw the lights, I knew I was done. Why make you chase me down?"

That devious, corrupt SOB! Now your house is illegally bugged, your truck is tracked 24/7, he's probably planted a few ounces of an illegal substance somewhere where you'll put your prints all over it, etc. lol

It's just like any other group. The jackasses are usually fewer in number, they're just more memorable.

Quite.

gopher
+1 / -1
The most ''Stupid, Dumb and Just Plain Ignorant Cop'' has to be Arpaio in Arizona - because of his abuses and repeated violations of the Constitution, the people of Arizona have had to pay millions in damages to his victims. And now there is a class action lawsuit against him that will cost those people many more millions.

Cannuck
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

The most ''Stupid, Dumb and Just Plain Ignorant Cop'' has to be Arpaio in Arizona - because of his abuses and repeated violations of the Constitution, the people of Arizona have had to pay millions in damages to his victims. And now there is a class action lawsuit against him that will cost those people many more millions.

Those with uniform fetishes love this guy.

The reality is that jobs requiring uniforms have a tendency to attract certain types of individuals to begin with. Add to that the ego trip this job allows and it is a recipe for trouble if not managed properly. We are going to see more and more videos of cops being made to look a fool. Unlike the apologists, I believe the videos are made because the cop is an ****, not because the video taker is an ****. As more and more people get sick of these incompetent bozos, more will begin video taping their encounters.

DaSleeper
+1

Whiner - YouTube

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

The reality is that jobs requiring uniforms have a tendency to attract certain types of individuals to begin with.

What type of individual is that?

grumpydigger
+1
Cop charged with stealing laptop from pawn shop

By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Tuesday Jan. 31, 2012 4:02 PM PT
A Mountie in Cranbrook, B.C. has been charged with theft for allegedly "seizing" a laptop from a local pawn shop and then keeping it. Cop charged with stealing laptop from pawn shop | CTV British Columbia

The RCMP launched an internal investigation into Bryden Hennessey's conduct in October 2011 after hearing claims the officer had confiscated a computer from the store, stating it may have been stolen.
Chief Supt. Mike Sekela said within three weeks, Hennessey's gun and badge had been seized and he was suspended from duty. The officer resigned in December.
"His resignation was accepted by the commanding officer and is irrevocable. He will never work for the RCMP again," Sekela said in a statement.
"Allegations of misconduct are extremely troubling. Troubling to the public and troubling to me," he added. "While disappointing, this case was handled decisively and promptly."
Hennessey's rank has not been released, but he was with the RCMP since 2001 and stationed in Cranbrook since 2007.
He is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 6 on one count of theft under $5,000.

CDNBear
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydiggerView Post

He is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 6 on one count of theft under $5,000.

A bad Cop, fired by a Cop, then charged by a Cop.

Sounds good to me.

grumpydigger
here in British Columbia, very rarely can a week go by that the RCMP do not embarrass themselves with another serious act of misconduct.............and that's bad.

JLM

Cop charged with stealing laptop from pawn shop
By: ctvbc.ca
Date: Tuesday Jan. 31, 2012 4:02 PM PT
A Mountie in Cranbrook, B.C. has been charged with theft for allegedly "seizing" a laptop from a local pawn shop and then keeping it. Cop charged with stealing laptop from pawn shop | CTV British Columbia
The RCMP launched an internal investigation into Bryden Hennessey's conduct in October 2011 after hearing claims the officer had confiscated a computer from the store, stating it may have been stolen.
Chief Supt. Mike Sekela said within three weeks, Hennessey's gun and badge had been seized and he was suspended from duty. The officer resigned in December.
"His resignation was accepted by the commanding officer and is irrevocable. He will never work for the RCMP again," Sekela said in a statement....

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
I hope his side of the story comes out in court.

L Gilbert
+2

Those with uniform fetishes love this guy.

The reality is that jobs requiring uniforms have a tendency to attract certain types of individuals to begin with. Add to that the ego trip this job allows and it is a recipe for trouble if not managed properly. We are going to see more and more videos of cops being made to look a fool. Unlike the apologists, I believe the videos are made because the cop is an ****, not because the video taker is an ****. As more and more people get sick of these incompetent bozos, more will begin video taping their encounters.

Uniformed jobs also attract people that like to help others. They also attract people who recognize other talents like investigation, people who think it's a decent-paying job, and people who like to be in sparsely populated areas, etc.

here in British Columbia, very rarely can a week go by that the RCMP do not embarrass themselves with another serious act of misconduct.............and that's bad.

Let's say you are right. That means 52 instances per year in a population of some 3100 RCMP and municipal police. Doesn't seem all that terrible to me.

SLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Uniformed jobs also attract people that like to help others. They also attract people who recognize other talents like investigation, people who think it's a decent-paying job, and people who like to be in sparsely populated areas, etc.

Wow, when you put it like that it almost seems like people are individuals and capable of having more than one mindset about things. Amazing,

Quote:

Let's say you are right. That means 52 instances per year in a population of some 3100 RCMP and municipal police. Doesn't seem all that terrible to me.

See, I kind of disagree on that. To me it's not the percentage of the whole so much as the frequency. The first thing that I'd look at is the media reporting to try to ascertain what bias is there. (News people, like many people, can be essentially lazy and have at time latched onto a story and just kept repeating it.) But if there is merit to a large portion of the stories, I'd be looking at the reasons why it keeps happening.

I have nothing but respect for those who take this job, it's not an easy one. But I do hold the conduct of those who job requires the public trust to a high standard.

L Gilbert

Wow, when you put it like that it almost seems like people are individuals and capable of having more than one mindset about things. Amazing,

Yeah, go figure, huh?

Quote:

See, I kind of disagree on that. To me it's not the percentage of the whole so much as the frequency. The first thing that I'd look at is the media reporting to try to ascertain what bias is there. (News people, like many people, can be essentially lazy and have at time latched onto a story and just kept repeating it.) But if there is merit to a large portion of the stories, I'd be looking at the reasons why it keeps happening.

I have nothing but respect for those who take this job, it's not an easy one. But I do hold the conduct of those who job requires the public trust to a high standard.

Well, I agree that 52 instances is 52 too many. But I am just considering how lax the forces are in screening and the ratio just doesn't impress me. Not only that, I doubt there actually is 1 per week.

SLM

Yeah, go figure, huh?

Yeah, you really can learn something new every day. Wish more people would.

Quote:

Well, I agree that 52 instances is 52 too many. But I am just considering how lax the forces are in screening and the ratio just doesn't impress me.

I would look at lax screening as a possibly cause of problems.

Quote:

Not only that, I doubt there actually is 1 per week.

Yep and that's where the scrutiny comes in. One should never accept things at face value. It's always worthwhile to dig a little deeper.

grumpydigger
+1
Whether it's the head of a detachment stealing and using cocaine,Or an officer kicking a submissive man in the head while he is on the ground Or drunk driving or outright theft.

The hero worshiping cheerleaders will have an excuse.

It's amazing that the one bad apple shows up so often.

L Gilbert
If all one hears is the news, then one might easily assume the statistics of corruption and abuse of power to be rampant and overrunning the province.
How about digging up some statistics grumpyDIGGER?

grumpydigger
And who do you think would keep those stats.......... the RCMP........ the government

Anyone who lives in British Columbia and remotely pays attention to the news media would have a pretty good idea of the frequency of the misconduct.

Most of the time the news stories are buried extremely quickly. And it takes 2 to 3 years of paid vacation before it's even brought to the attention of the general public....and by that time most people have just forgotten

what the RCMP could cover up and hide 20 years ago like their drunk driving and there's sexual abuse charges is now immediately posted on the Internet.

shadowshiv

Whether it's the head of a detachment stealing and using cocaine,Or an officer kicking a submissive man in the head while he is on the ground Or drunk driving or outright theft.

The hero worshiping cheerleaders will have an excuse.

It's amazing that the one bad apple shows up so often.

It's not really that amazing. The media will focus on the stories about a bad cop rather than the numerous stories that could be told about the cops just doing their jobs(and being a positive source for people). Scandel and corruptions sells, good news not so much...unfortunately.

L Gilbert

And who do you think would keep those stats.......... the RCMP........ the government

Did you even bother to look?

Quote:

Anyone who lives in British Columbia and remotely pays attention to the news media would have a pretty good idea of the frequency of the misconduct.

So, show me some numbers then.

Quote:

Most of the time the news stories are buried extremely quickly. And it takes 2 to 3 years of paid vacation before it's even brought to the attention of the general public....and by that time most people have just forgotten

Really? Not that I've noticed. Usually the media is screaming at the tops of its lungs for weeks about police abuse. It's a multi-course feast for them. Most papers in BC have a column about what cops have been doing every week.

Quote:

what the RCMP could cover up and hide 20 years ago like their drunk driving and there's sexual abuse charges is now immediately posted on the Internet.

Wait! I thought you said it was all hushed up. To be exact, what you said was, "Most of the time the news stories are buried extremely quickly. "

Cannuck

Even a blind squirrel finds the odd nut. I didn't say that all police officers were the same. I said the job has a tendency to attract certain types of people. It does.

homepage.ntlworld.com/gary.st...ersonality.htm (external - login to view)

Google "psychology", "uniform", "police" - there's tons of stuff out there. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. It helps us in attracting some people to the fire department. When aware of it, it can be use it to an advantage

CDNBear

I didn't say that all police officers were the same.

Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

... the fact of the matter is that the bulk of the cops on the job are good people and professionals..

I can't say that because I don't know the bulk of cops on the job. All I can really go by is the pay and recruiting standards of police dept nowadays. Well, that and the experience of myself and others. There has been 15 new recruits come through the local detachment in the last dozen years ago. Only one wasn't a complete waste of skin.

no new posts