Violence Against Whom???

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The Silly Season of December 6 is almost upon us........and so, I thought I would review some stats of interest:

Canadian Statistics for the years 2004 to 2008:

74% of homicide victims were male.
26% of homicide victims were female.

Interestingly, 38% of male victims were killed with firearms, while only 20% of female victims were killed with firearms.

Gender Differences in Police-reported Violent Crime in Canada, 2008: Main article

I have refused to wear the white ribbon, as I consider it both an insult to men, and a blatant attempt at social engineering.

Isn't it time we quit talking about "violence against women" or "the war on women" as if women were disproportionately targeted?

All homicide is tragedy.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The fact is too many men and women are dying for nothing except the sheer volume
of violence. I think we should focus more on the violence against women in specific
communities, IE honour killings etc. As for the male deaths, many of them come
about for reasons other than domestic violence. I do agree though that too much
social engineering is involved. We hear about women being murdered and we
immediately associate it with violence against women, or some form of domestic
violence. The other assumption is that some man had it in for women and this comes
from a few serious cases like the one in Montreal some years ago.
Society really has to look at the root causes for murder rather than whether its a case
of men killing women or the other way around.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
What's clear to me from the link is that there are differences between genders when it comes to violent crime. The differences should not be ignored either way. If we're going to look at gender differences with respect to violence, then let's look at gender differences.

From the link:

Profile of the accused
In general, women most often reported being victimized by men regardless of crime type, and this was the case as well for male victims. Men were considered the accused in 81% of cases of violent victimization against women, and in 79% of cases of violent victimization against males; whereas females accounted for 10% of victimizations against females and 10% against males.

What these numbers show pretty clearly is that the perpetrators of violent crime are disproportionately male irrespective of the gender of the victim.

Men and women are victims of different types of violent crime

1. Victims of more serious forms of physical assault reported to police were more likely to be men

In the broad category of "physical assaults", the numbers are pretty even here. But male victims have higher incidence of more serious injuries sustained from these assualts than women do. Use of a weapon against a male is almost double than use of a weapon against a woman. Aggravated assault (wounding, maiming, endangering the life) is three times higher for males than females.

2. Men are physically assaulted in a public place outside the home more often than women

Assault inside the home was the most common setting for both genders, but looking at each gender approx. 75% of assaults against women occured in the home and for males it's about 42%. That's a significant difference.

The most interesting stat here to me though was that 29% of male victims were assaulted in a public place (bus stop, parking lot, etc) as compared to only 13% of female victims. This is also a significant difference and where I find it interesting is that, as a woman, I am very much aware of dangers lurking in such places It's very ingrained largely due to the vast amount of messaging about this that has been targeted toward females.

3. Women more often physically assaulted by a spouse, men by a stranger

Different assailants depending on the gender of the victim, but proportionately about the same respectively.

4. Police-reported sexual assault rate more than 10 times higher for female victims compared to males

Personally, I think the degree of unreported sexual assaults is going to skew this stat and while I also personally believe that the rate will always be higher for female victims, I'm also sure that the number of unreported assaults against male victims is probably disproportionately higher than for females.

5. More than one-quarter of female victims of sexual assault suffered a physical injury

95% of all sexual assaults were the result of force against both genders and 1/4 of female victims sustained physical injury as a result. There are no numbers presented for male victims here and, as with the above point, that would make a comparison difficult.
6. Higher proportion of sexual assaults against male victims occur in institutional settings

Now this is another interesting number. Most sexual assault for either gender tends to occur in a residential setting, but for males incidence of assault in a school, university, or other corporate setting is 2.5 times higher than for females. Again, I can't help but wonder about the messaging/warning that's been targeted towards females regarding this.

7. Accused in incidents of sexual assaults against male and female are often known to the victim

The numbers are pretty even here with the significant difference being only in the identity of the perpetrator. For females, it is predominently a spouse or former partner, for male it is a relative, friend or aquaintance.

8. While men were more likely to be the victim of a homicide, female homicide victims were more often killed by a spouse

Homicides account for less than 1% of all violent crimes reported and males are more likely to be victims. Similar numbers to above for the most part. Again what jumps out at me is 15% of men are victims of stranger homicide and 5% of woman, out of all homicides for each gender. Also again, I wonder about the warning messages targeted towards predominently towards females and whether that has made an impact.

9. Homicides with male victims more likely to involve firearms and gangs

Use of weapon is higher for male victims than females. Now personally, I don't think it makes much of a difference whether someone is shot, stabbed, strangled, drowned, etc. Dead is dead. I don't buy into the whole "guns kill people" bull; people kill people plain and simple. A toaster in the wrong hands can be a deadly weapon. For the most part I think the significance of higher incidence of weapon use male to male is that, for the most part anyway, the average male can overpower the average female without need of a weapon.

10. Motives surrounding a homicide vary according to the sex of the victim

Vengence is a higher motive for homicide of males; for females it seems to be more based on a more personal/intimate motivations.

Overall, there are enough significant differences between the genders when it comes to being the victim of a violent crime that I don't think we can generalize violence as simply violence. Yes, in the sense that all violence is wrong regardless of who the victim is, but if we are actually looking at preventing violent crime from occuring we can't ignore the differences.

Do I think we need to stop the "violence against women" campaigns? No, what I think we need to start doing is becoming more aware of the "violence against men" instead. (Side note: the "war on women" way of thinking is infuriating to me as a woman as I believe it perpetuates a victimization mindset. That's my personal opinion on that.)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It sincerely pisses me off when things like this are hijacked by people looking to score some kind of political goal. It infuriates me even more that it is allowed to become some twisted politically/socially polarizing event. The options constantly being thrown at us that you are either on board with that way of thinking or you are diamterically opposed to it.

I say bull****, this was a horrific crime. Those victims deserve to be remembered not the jackass who killed them and not because of some 'social issue'.

• Geneviève Bergeron
  • Hélène Colgan
  • Nathalie Croteau
  • Barbara Daigneault
  • Anne-Marie Edward
  • Maud Haviernick
  • Maryse Laganière
  • Maryse Leclair
  • Anne-Marie Lemay
  • Sonia Pelletier
  • Michèle Richard
  • Annie St-Arneault
  • Annie Turcotte
  • Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
These items will never cure breast cancer.

And White Ribbons will never end violence against women.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
If that misogynistic , Marc Lepine hadn't pulled the trigger, some lovely ladies would still be alive today. Designing and building bridges, houses, contributing to society, having kids - a life.

Thanks to that sick fukker we lost all those people AND had to endure the knee jerk reaction which gave us years of long gun registration which did nothing to prevent anything. It did however, cost a bundle.

Still does, but Stevo has promised; not for long. Let's hope he keeps this one.

No white ribbon for me. Violence against women repels me but the WR will do nothing to stop it.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It sincerely pisses me off when things like this are hijacked by people looking to score some kind of political goal. It infuriates me even more that it is allowed to become some twisted politically/socially polarizing event. The options constantly being thrown at us that you are either on board with that way of thinking or you are diamterically opposed to it.

I say bull****, this was a horrific crime. Those victims deserve to be remembered not the jackass who killed them and not because of some 'social issue'.

• Geneviève Bergeron
  • Hélène Colgan
  • Nathalie Croteau
  • Barbara Daigneault
  • Anne-Marie Edward
  • Maud Haviernick
  • Maryse Laganière
  • Maryse Leclair
  • Anne-Marie Lemay
  • Sonia Pelletier
  • Michèle Richard
  • Annie St-Arneault
  • Annie Turcotte
  • Barbara Klucznik-Widajewicz

Yep.

This was an act that needs to be remembered...............

But not used.

Speaking of which......

http://www.guncontrol.ca/English/Home/Releases/2011Dec6handout.pdf

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The Silly Season of December 6 is almost upon us........and so, I thought I would review some stats of interest:

Canadian Statistics for the years 2004 to 2008:

74% of homicide victims were male.
26% of homicide victims were female.

Interestingly, 38% of male victims were killed with firearms, while only 20% of female victims were killed with firearms.

Gender Differences in Police-reported Violent Crime in Canada,*2008: Main article

I have refused to wear the white ribbon, as I consider it both an insult to men, and a blatant attempt at social engineering.

Isn't it time we quit talking about "violence against women" or "the war on women" as if women were disproportionately targeted?

All homicide is tragedy.

I suppose now the wimmen will be wanting equal representation with the men. Sheesh, Colpy, talk about opening a can of worms.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Some people who know some people with mental disabilities would like to be shot too. - mercifully.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Violence does not have to end in death. I note that in Colpy's post his reference includes all sorts of crimes, but his comment focuses only on murders. There are literally thousands of men who regularly beat their wives and girlfriends and many of these beatings do not get reported until they have occurred several times. As for violence against men by women - it happens - but not nearly in the numbers that violence by men against women occurs. It is also worth pointing out that so far as I know there has never been a case of any woman targeting a man or group of men simply because of their gender, which is certainly not the case at the École Polytechnique.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Violence does not have to end in death. I note that in Colpy's post his reference includes all sorts of crimes, but his comment focuses only on murders. There are literally thousands of men who regularly beat their wives and girlfriends and many of these beatings do not get reported until they have occurred several times. As for violence against men by women - it happens - but not nearly in the numbers that violence by men against women occurs. It is also worth pointing out that so far as I know there has never been a case of any woman targeting a man or group of men simply because of their gender, which is certainly not the case at the École Polytechnique.

All true enough.....