Suspect falls from Toronto balcony

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Ya, man threatening suicide falls from balcony after cops tazer him.

I'm sure though that it was because he was threatening to squish a cop or something.:roll:

Suspect falls from Toronto balcony - Yahoo! News

The incident began about 1 a.m., when police from 12 Division were dispatched to arrest a suspect on the fourth floor of 1735 Weston Rd. near Lawrence Avenue. The man descended from the balcony to the third floor as he tried to evade officers.

I wonder what he was wanted for?

A negotiation team spent four hours trying to persuade him to give himself up for arrest.

Well they weren't exactly hasty.

CBC cameraman Tony Smyth, reporting from the scene, heard the man swearing at police. At one point, the man could be heard calling back, "If you want to get me, you'll have to get me on the run."

More likely he should have said. You'll have to get me while I'm falling nine meters. Just sayin.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You gotta wonder, guy sitting on the edge of a balcony 3 floors up gets tasered, where in the hell did they think he was gonna go?

Also, have to wonder why in four hours they couldn't have set up a net or something to break the fall.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
If anyone watched the video, this idiot was sitting inside the balcony and after being tased, the same idiot decides for himself, to jump over the railing on his own.

Man Plummets Off Balcony After Police Fire Taser At Him - YouTube

Hard to tell, but it looks like he was instinctively reacting to being tazed. If anything, the idiots were the cops who thought it was a good idea to taze a suicidal guy next to a balcony, lol

They could have saved a life that day..

Oh well. Maybe the next tazer victim will learn.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't get it. What I saw was like Locutus described: he jumped up and out after being tased. I'm not an expert in the device so I can't tell if that is an automatic/involuntary reaction (which I confess to my untrained eye seems unlikely) or a voluntary reaction.

As far as the reasons behind tasing him, its hard to judge without a lot more information. The article states he was a suspect whose arrest was being sought; how dangerous was he believed to be? Did they believe him to be armed? The negotiators were in contact for 4 hrs: how long do they have to carry on before they take other action? I have limited sympathy for the guy based on what we know. There are just too many questions that need answers before we can rush to judgement.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Hard to tell, but it looks like he was instinctively reacting to being tazed. If anything, the idiots were the cops who thought it was a good idea to taze a suicidal guy next to a balcony, lol

They could have saved a life that day..

Oh well. Maybe the next tazer victim will learn.

Yeah definitely the cops fault. Four hours of negotiation prior to tazing this moron was not long enough.

They should have tackled him and been dragged over too.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can't even fathom trying to form a solid opinion on this without being there, without the rest of the story. It didn't look like he was suicidal, it looked like he was evading arrest and using a public spectacle as a bargaining chip. Lots of people try to evade arrest and end up hurt. I don't really worry too much about those people, they typically know what they're in for once they start running. We have enough people complying with arrest who end up falling off balconies and being tased, I'll worry about those ones first.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
There is no question that we can see this idiot jump up and try to get away. And he was given ample time by police to surrender. But no, he was 'the man'.

He's lucky he wasn't armed and didn't end up like the dude that was actually shot by the police this morning. He was just a mouthy arsehole and jumped to his own injuries. Too bad.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Perhaps the police fired the taser as they wanted to subdue him rather than attempt to restrain him physically and risk falling off(or being pushed) the balcony themselves.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Perhaps the police fired the taser as they wanted to subdue him rather than attempt to restrain him physically and risk falling off(or being pushed) the balcony themselves.

and perhaps they're just trigger happy morons who enjoy electrocuting people.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
or he just got tired of waiting and decided to take matters into his own hands.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Should have just helped him out and put three in his face. Let the coroner do all the paper work.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
or he just got tired of waiting and decided to take matters into his own hands.

If it was a matter of 'just tired of waiting' he'd have tased him on the railing, not waited until he was down. You've formed an opinion though before even seeing this article so I doubt you're going to hear me.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If it was a matter of 'just tired of waiting' he'd have tased him on the railing, not waited until he was down. You've formed an opinion though before even seeing this article so I doubt you're going to hear me.

opinions all the way around have been formed without full disclosure. How is my opinion any less valid than any one elses? Is it because my opinion doesn't put the police in the best light?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
opinions all the way around have been formed without full disclosure. How is my opinion any less valid than any one elses? Is it because my opinion doesn't put the police in the best light?

No... I often read stories, like the one about 14 year old shot with a taser in the head, that make police look like total asses. That doesn't bother me. I just think you see police that way to begin with and read the story looking for it. Doesn't mean you won't be proven right in the end. He might actually have not been running, he might actually have been suicidal. I don't know. But, there was a lot about that story that made it look like a suspect fleeing arrest and getting himself hurt in the process despite police trying for four hours to talk him down off the balcony (which they don't have to do when it's an issue of fleeing arrest), and waiting for the best possible time to tazer him.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
when it comes to tazering, I don't think there is a "best possible time".