Happy Oktoberfest everbody

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Beer.
Shouldn't we at least wait for October to get here before we celebrate Octoberfest? This is kind of like doing Xmas in October.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When I was stationed in Germany with the RCAF back in the late fifties I went to the Octoberfest in Munchen two years in a row.
Beer was two Marks for a large stein and you got to keep the stein. I don't think it is like that anymore.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Beer.
Shouldn't we at least wait for October to get here before we celebrate Octoberfest? This is kind of like doing Xmas in October.

Well Xmas Fest starts in October.

When I was stationed in Germany with the RCAF back in the late fifties I went to the Octoberfest in Munchen two years in a row.
Beer was two Marks for a large stein and you got to keep the stein. I don't think it is like that anymore.

I want to hear more F-86 stories Juan... in case you were wondering.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well Xmas Fest starts in October.

I want to hear more F-86 stories Juan... in case you were wondering.

As I recall, Octoberfest went roughly from the last two weeks in September through the
first two weeks in October.

F-86 stories?
As you know, the F-86 was almost the jet equivalent of the Wright flyer. The early jets
would occasionally fly apart for no readily apparent reason. The Sabre was not immune
to these kinds of problems. There was an eye-bolt that screwed into hydraulic jack that
moved the elevators. These eye-bolts would sometimes unscrew and the entire
horizontal tail would drop down to an extreme nose up attitude, causing the wings to
fail, and the aircraft would disintegrate. The fix was a fifteen cent cotter pin to keep that
eye-bolt from unscrewing.