Controversial Ad Campaign

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Edmonton salon in hot water over controversial ad campaign

EDMONTON — An Edmonton hair salon is getting a lot of attention for an ad campaign that's being accused of glorifying domestic violence.

The ad for Fluid Hair Inc. shows an attractive woman with a black eye. There's a man standing behind her, holding out a necklace.

The ad is one in a series in Fluid's "Look Good in All You Do" campaign. The year-old ad attracted attention after a U.S. blogger posted it in online earlier this week.

Social media users have been venting their displeasure about the ad on Fluid's Facebook page.

"There is NO excuse for what you did. Artistic freedom? NO. It's beyond the low of indecency," said Sarah Leeder.

"Whoever you hired to create this campaign should be ashamed, as well as whoever approved it from within your company. I hope the negative press will create a significant decrease in business," said Nicole Christin Brown.

Read more: Edmonton salon in hot water over controversial ad campaign

The press on this is starting to ramp up, after a year.

Is it edgy and provocative or just plain stupid?

Frankly as a woman, this ad does not entice me but neither does it necessarily offend. I have seen many far more provocative and objectionable depictions of women in the media. As the saying goes "No press is bad press".

I do have to wonder who their target audience really is though. Who is going to look at that ad and decide to go to that salon?

Apparently not these folks.

Vandals attack Edmonton salon over battered-woman ad

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's the whole point of the ad. It leaves you to assume all sorts of scenarios.

The hockey hair says oodles.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Look at her hair. That's helmet head from ringette or hockey.

So the mistake here is leaving out the helment and the other sporting equipment, changing any scenery that would give you a clue about which sport, if any, she was playing, and putting in an unrelated guy with a necklace to add confusion. Obviously they have over-estimated the public's ability to fill in so many blanks in a row and not incorrectly draw the much shorter, although incorrect, conclusion of domestic violence.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Some hipster ad agency likely told the hipster salon that the pitched ad was hiptastic enough for their hip clients.

Butt, in the end, stoopid ad is stoopid.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Well there is some good that could come from this. A whole bunch of white guys could stop beating their wives.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well there is some good that could come from this. A whole bunch of white guys could stop beating their wives.

"White guys"????

LOL

Although I think whoever put together this ad has achieved new heights of stupidity..........what, they didn't think there would be an uproar?

And unlike ads with extreme sexual content that may be over the top, this one has nothing in it that is attractive. An uproar over sex in an ad just spreads it further, and our little heads take notice :).....

This one is repulsive.

EPIC FAIL.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Although I think whoever put together this ad has achieved new heights of stupidity..........what, they didn't think there would be an uproar?

Actually, I would think that the knew there would be an uproar, that's the whole point.

And apparently, it's working.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
"White guys"????

LOL

And unlike ads with extreme sexual content that may be over the top, this one has nothing in it that is attractive. An uproar over sex in an ad just spreads it further, and our little heads take notice :).....

This one is repulsive.

EPIC FAIL.

Are you saying you would fight to have this ad removed?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Actually, I would think that the knew there would be an uproar, that's the whole point.

And apparently, it's working.

Yeah....they are getting an uproar......but the reaction is revulsion.....I mean this caused an uproar....

Dammit, I can't get the ad to copy over! This is what I'm talking about......

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526491,00.html

But despite the protests..........on some basic level this is attractive to women, one would imagine....sex with three hunky guys???? How disgusting, how disturbing!!!!

Well.....maybe I need some Calvin Kleins.

How many women secretly, or on some subconscious level desire a black eye????

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I don't know, but an awful lot of women are attracted to violent, abusive men. So you have to wonder.

Ain't that the truth!!!

But I think that is simply the old biological rules at work.....they want the DNA of the toughest buck with the biggest horns.......they don't expect to be the one that gets gored.