Dandelions, dandelions, dandelions....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have a neighbor grows a yard full of bloody dandelions while my wife is on hands and knees using
her little dandelion fork to pull the pesky things out by the roots.
Is it reasonable to expect the neighbor to control his own weeds? The guy claims he has a right to
grow dandelions on his property and that is fine I guess but when the dandelions are in the puff ball
stage a puff of a breeze will ensure that every one on the block gets a crop of these damn pests.

I don't suppose Agent Orange or anything like it is available anywhere....

Any suggestions?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I bet, wherever it is that you live, there are bylaws in place pertaining
to noxious weeds, etc...& with a complaint, the City/Town/RM will come
out.....clean up your neighbours yard...& tack that cost right onto his/her
property tax bill.

A thousand dollar bill to have 1/2 a dozen government employees in
his yard with weed whackers for a few hours might be a wake-up call
for buddy's right to his crop of weeds that are infesting your lawn.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If your neighbour is planting dandelions, then he'd be responsible. The leaves do make a pretty tasty salad - to some people, anyhow. They're a native species so I doubt you'll get much help from the City. I just wish I could find something that zeros in on the periscope operator. Otherwise, when I lop off their heads, they're green.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I have a neighbor grows a yard full of bloody dandelions while my wife is on hands and knees using
Is it reasonable to expect the neighbor to control his own weeds? The guy claims he has a right to
grow dandelions on his property and that is fine I guess but when the dandelions are in the puff ball
stage a puff of a breeze will ensure that every one on the block gets a crop of these damn pests.

Any suggestions?

This fall by some urea - It is a fertilizer - used on runways as it does not damage the tarmac-

Ouline with Urea the following

Giant letters - ASS and below that a big circle = Ass Hole

It will grow like hell - and there it is - on the front lawn for all to see.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
When I bought my house, I had about nine to twelve big ole poplar trees..
I went to a lot of trouble and work to cut them down, in sections from the top, hauling them to the bush, then the next spring hiring a backhoe to dig out the stumps...then getting of them...4 pickup loads....then levelling the ground and starting a dandelion farm:smile:

Now I have this neighbour, upwind from me that has half a dozen Oaks and Elms and one big old Birch that gets that yellow dust like substance all over my truck all the time, and that yardfull of leaves I have to rake every fall, with a single Balsam tree in my yard....

What should I do???

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Some cities have decided that dandelions are no longer noxious weeds and don't deal with them on city property, so by that reasoning, the city can't do anything about them on private property. My neighbour has 3 feet tall grass in the backyard ... the lawn is ruined and next year it will be filled with dandelions and other weeds. There's nothing to be done.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Any suggestions?

I hear you, but I've found a solution, it's a new hobby where I'll spend half an hour at a time in the spring removing them. (Screw driver works very well) Killex is useless.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
When I bought my house, I had about nine to twelve big ole poplar trees..
I went to a lot of trouble and work to cut them down, in sections from the top, hauling them to the bush, then the next spring hiring a backhoe to dig out the stumps...then getting of them...4 pickup loads....then levelling the ground and starting a dandelion farm:smile:

Now I have this neighbour, upwind from me that has half a dozen Oaks and Elms and one big old Birch that gets that yellow dust like substance all over my truck all the time, and that yardfull of leaves I have to rake every fall, with a single Balsam tree in my yard....

What should I do???

Buy a couple of big bags of those wild flowers - and seed him.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Does he mow his lawn ? I doubt there's a law that states he has to get on his knees,no law that states he has to be a fanatic.Too bad not everyone is as perfect as you.Christ !

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Does he mow his lawn ? I doubt there's a law that states he has to get on his knees,no law that states he has to be a fanatic.Too bad not everyone is as perfect as you.Christ !

Who are you referring to?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I bet, wherever it is that you live, there are bylaws in place pertaining
to noxious weeds, etc...& with a complaint, the City/Town/RM will come
out.....clean up your neighbours yard...& tack that cost right onto his/her
property tax bill.

A thousand dollar bill to have 1/2 a dozen government employees in
his yard with weed whackers for a few hours might be a wake-up call
for buddy's right to his crop of weeds that are infesting your lawn.

Nah, he lives in nanaimo. They have a bylaw against killing anything green. Except Broom and I think ragweed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Killex...everything but the grass with one pass.

Round Up Ready grass comes out from Scotts next spring so I read in the Western Producer.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Zinc kills moss.

Next spring I'll pass around a dandelion wine recipe in flyer form to every house in the hood. That would be the best solution for my neighbourhood.