New Leviathan coaster could crack global top 10 fastest coasters

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

Canada's Wonderland shows us next year's tallest, fastest ride

A roller-coaster being built at Canada’s Wonderland will be vying for a coveted title in the race to build the world’s tallest, fastest and steepest thrill rides.

The Leviathan, which will stand 93.3 metres and accelerate up to 148 km/h when completed, is set to debut next May.

The 139-metre Kingda Ka at Six Flags theme park in New Jersey currently holds the title as the world’s tallest coaster. Fastest belongs to the Formula Rossa in Abu Dhabi, which rockets to an astonishing 240 km/h. And Japan recently unveiled the steepest ride, the Takabisha, with a free falling angle of 121 degrees.

So which record is the new Canadian thrill ride looking to break?

“It will be the tallest and fastest coaster in Canada,” said Wonderland spokeswoman Dineen Beaven. According to the Roller Coaster DataBase, it could also edge past the 92.96-metre Intimidator 305, in Virginia, to claim seventh tallest in the world. The Leviathan could also crack the top-10 fastest in the world, the site says.

The park has hired Bollinger & Mabillard to design its latest attraction after the Swiss firm created the Behemoth for Wonderland in 2008.

According to Coaster Enthusiasts of Canada, the Behemoth currently holds the record for tallest and fastest ride in the country. The Leviathan will tower 23.3 m over its sister coaster and travel 23 km/h faster.

Construction has already begun on the steel structure, with crews laying out its foundation. Tracks will be brought to the site in the coming weeks, Beaven said.

The $28 million Leviathan will be Wonderland’s only giga-coaster, a term used to describe rides more than 91.4 metres tall, and the park’s 16th in total.

Only California’s Six Flags and Cedar Point, in Ohio, have more coasters, Beaven said. “It’s great to be able to rank with them,” she said. “We have a really wide variety, which is what I think makes our park appealing.”

For construction updates and a virtual preview, visit the Leviathan’s website at leviathan.canadaswonderland.com .

Toronto News: Canada's Wonderland shows us next year's tallest, fastest ride - thestar.com

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I already went and bought a 2012. I'm 5-7 days way from harvest. I can't be without a truck. It won't be here for a couple weeks so they set me up with a rental covered by insurance.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I see. Hope they gave you a good deal on the old one.

Also found this if you're interested...