5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Your Kids Do

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is so important because we have been over protecting our kids for far too long. The end result is kids with not survival skills or kids who engage in extreme activities. Kids need to crawl before they walk for a reason. They need to be exposed to danger for the same reason. Hiding them from danger is more dangerous in the long run because they will not know how to deal with it. Instead of screaming "NO! Don't do that. You will hurt yourself", stop and show them.

When My son was a year old we lived out in the bush in a cabin heated by wood. I picked him up and took him close to the heater and put his hand close to the pipe, close enough so he could feel how hot it was without burning him. I said "hot" when he looked at me with his eyes wide open. He now knew what hot was and to avoid touching the heater. While I was holding him someone walked in the room and he pointed toward the pipe, accidentally touching the pipe. He burned his finger slightly because he was not looking at what he was pointing at. He turned back to the person and said "HOT!" His finger healed and he never went near it again.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Eh?8O

My dad was a cop and a part time carpenter.

I had a jack knife from the age of 6 or so

used all his hand tools, saws, planes, etc........under his supervision, and sometimes not.

they let me row a boat and paddle a canoe as soon as they knew I swam well.

1st .22 rifle at 12...........Took the "Safe Hunter" course. Some old Ontario guys probably remember that.

Life was good.

Our kids got bush craft and camping from an early age. All had part time jobs, were allowed to cook, bacon and eggs, and use the stove whenever. They can all cook like demons now. Worse thing they did was pour bacon grease down the drain................that required some plumbing on my part............and theirs..

I feel for kids strapped to their laptops
But, that was then, this is now, and that's how she goes, eh.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
My kids are 10 and 11. Son will be getting a pocket knife for his bday. They don't hesitate to grab and use hand tools from their dad's shop (so long as they ask about which wood they can use). They mow lawns, prep and cook some meals (yes, with knives and heat!), run laundry. At the family cabin they will walk down to the beach alone to go fishing. Yes, we let them fish alone despite the risk of a hook in the eye. lol. They've helped pour concrete. Yesterday they helped haul gravel and put in weeping tile.

I fall short on the actual list. They get to stoke the fire a bit at the cabin, but, not start it or anything. They use kitchen knives but, being city kids, pocket knives haven't been around yet. They haven't thrown spears, but they play bocce ball... a little more appropriate hand eye activity for city kids i think... lol. They get to take apart stuff every once in a while, and watch and help when hubby repairs an appliance. They haven't gotten to drive because we haven't been out on farms where it would work in ages.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
My kids are 10 and 11. Son will be getting a pocket knife for his bday. They don't hesitate to grab and use hand tools from their dad's shop (so long as they ask about which wood they can use). They mow lawns, prep and cook some meals (yes, with knives and heat!), run laundry. At the family cabin they will walk down to the beach alone to go fishing. Yes, we let them fish alone despite the risk of a hook in the eye. lol. They've helped pour concrete. Yesterday they helped haul gravel and put in weeping tile.

I fall short on the actual list. They get to stoke the fire a bit at the cabin, but, not start it or anything. They use kitchen knives but, being city kids, pocket knives haven't been around yet. They haven't thrown spears, but they play bocce ball... a little more appropriate hand eye activity for city kids i think... lol. They get to take apart stuff every once in a while, and watch and help when hubby repairs an appliance. They haven't gotten to drive because we haven't been out on farms where it would work in ages.

OH sure, eh. One up, eh. You remind me of my brother in law.

Well, mine are smarter than yours. And they have thrown spears. Not that it's a particularly useful skill in our hi-tech society.

Bocce ball.........ain't that the sport played by fat, old, Italians??..........like lawn bowling, except for C:patholics............

Concrete yet. They're on the slippery slope Karrie. Don't fall asleep on the lawn.;-)

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol... I wasn't trying to one up, just to tell what 'this is now' looks like for some.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:blob7:Didja have to bare hand'em or did they let ya use an axe.??

I usta love when chicken killin time rolled round. Since t'was I who had to clean the chicken house............Holy ammonia, Batman!!!. Karma !!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Straight razor and yeah there is nothing like forking out straw and chicken ****. It wasn't a chicken coop. It was a big one. A chicken sedan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Heeeeey wait a minute.....she said eggs and cream went to buy birthday and Christmas presents.

Dammit. We bought our own ****.