Wake up world!!

taxslave
Interesting. Now if I just had the money necessary to build a 3 acre green house.....

petros
1 million grams maybe....

mentalfloss
I'm on it..

Tonington
Aquaponics is very efficient. Most people have heard of Doctors Without Borders, but few have heard of Aquaculture without frontiers. It's a similar group, only they help communities set up food production systems, and aquaponics is one way to help people feed themselves nutritious diets.

One tricky part is setting up the biofilter. Some people might think you can just stock the tanks and start growing fish and plants right away. You can lose fish easilly that way, as the ammonia can build up to toxic levels. It's an easy solution though, cycle the filter before stocking fish.

petros
The real tricky part is something we call winter.

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

The real tricky part is something we call winter.

Not really. A small furnace and heat captured from the compost pile. I've been on a farm outside Truro NS that grows striped bass in a greenhouse, all year long.

petros
Try it here and see what the energy cost to production ratios are.

Tonington

Try it here and see what the energy cost to production ratios are.

It doesn't need to be tried, there are already greenhouses in western Canada producing tomatoes and other crops year round. There is an aquaponics facility in Brooks, and the University of Lethbridge has performed economic feasibility studies in their own facilities, and found that it is feasible. Aquaponics facilities beat the yields from conventional hydroponics.

petros
Tomtoes and tilapia. The paella market isn't so great around these parts.

Tonington

Tomtoes and tilapia. The paella market isn't so great around these parts.

The market is good enough to make aquaponics economically feasible.

petros
If it's tied to an industry with waste heat. Stand alone. Forget it!

talloola
+1
when I was a kid, all we ate was organic food, there was nothing else, organic food is normal food,
its what came later that is different, now organic food is considered a specialty item, more expensive,
and harder to get, doesn't make any sense to me.

petros
+2
#14  Top Rated Post
All food comes from organisms thus making it all "organic".

Salts and minerals (nutrients) are all just salts and minerals and they all come from the same sources. It's just the delivery method that changes.

"Organic" is a scam.

Cliffy

All food comes from organisms thus making it all "organic".

Salts and minerals (nutrients) are all just salts and minerals and they all come from the same sources. It's just the delivery method that changes.

"Organic" is a scam.

How come food from factory farms taste like crap compared to what you can grow in your own yard? Tomatoes at Overwaitea don't taste anything like a tomato. Neither do carrots.If it is all organic, how come those that say organic usually taste like food, while factory grown food tastes like a waste product?

Tonington
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

How come food from factory farms taste like crap compared to what you can grow in your own yard?

Post-harvest shipping and handling for starters.

taxslave

How come food from factory farms taste like crap compared to what you can grow in your own yard? Tomatoes at Overwaitea don't taste anything like a tomato. Neither do carrots.If it is all organic, how come those that say organic usually taste like food, while factory grown food tastes like a waste product?

The ones at the grocery store are roundup ready courtesy of Monsanto. I figure anything that is immune to pestisides can not possibly be good for you.

gopher
I'm not entirely trustful of organic foods as they often have worms or other mites which would have been killed by chemical sprays.

YukonJack

Yeah, right!

How do you know for sure that the food you think has been grown in a private yard, like your own, has not been grown on a well-attended and cared for so-called 'factory farm'?

I bet, if two bowls of the foods you mentioned were placed in front of you, unidentified, you could not tell the difference, or at least you would be lucky to have a hit.

I must admit there may be a perceivable difference in chicken, or even tomatoes, but carrots?

taxslave
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

I'm not entirely trustful of organic foods as they often have worms or other mites which would have been killed by chemical sprays.

You don't like meat in your diet? They are organic worms so they are OK to eat.

gopher
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

You don't like meat in your diet? They are organic worms so they are OK to eat.

The USDA inspects meats that are sold here. It does not inspect organically grown foods.

damngrumpy
What a load of what makes your grass grow green. Organic to start with has so many problems,
right down to is it organic? The industry has become a religion instead of a common sense part
of life. The entire industry is based on an honor system, that does not verify the truth in organics.
I am involved in agriculture, and I will tell you , you can grow a lot of food but it will not support
l million pounds on three acres not even close.
There is a book out there the keepers of the organic Holy Grail should read. It is called of all things,
"Is It Organic" it is written by a man who has an organic inspectors licence, and he will tell you the
industry has a lot of cleaning up to do. You can buy the book on line. I suggest you read the entire
book as it ties everything together at the end.

As for growing a million pounds on three acres, it is nonsense pure and simple. The only reason I
would wake up for this would be to have a good laugh.

Cliffy
I buy my organic produce from local growers who I know and have worked for. I trust them as I know how they produce their veggies and fruit. I have also grown huge gardens, so I do know the difference between factory grown and what I can grow in my back yard. Perhaps the organic industry does need a clean up, but not the people, including myself, who grow what I consume.

petros

Those weren't organisms?

Quote: Originally Posted by YukonJackView Post

Yeah, right!

How do you know for sure that the food you think has been grown in a private yard, like your own, has not been grown on a well-attended and cared for so-called 'factory farm'?

I bet, if two bowls of the foods you mentioned were placed in front of you, unidentified, you could not tell the difference, or at least you would be lucky to have a hit.

I must admit there may be a perceivable difference in chicken, or even tomatoes, but carrots?

Chicken you can easily tell between indoor and outfdoor raised.

If both an organic tomato and greehouse tomato are both allowed to naturally ripen you'd never know the difference.

It's in the winter when fruit and veg are artificalally ripened with ethylene during transporation to induce ripening without sunshine so things stay fresh during travel.

That would be the difference you taste.

damngrumpy
Cliffy I am not saying all organic grower are fundamentally dishonest and cheat. I know many
organic growers and represent some on the provincial association I am an executive member
of. We represent both conventional and organic growers.
There are a lot out there that cheat like crazy, and a lot of supermarkets that import organic
food that is not organic at all, There are some countries that amount to little more than cheap
organic knock offs.
There are some fine upstanding organic growers and I have no problem with them at all my
problem comes when the organic registrants know the cheating is going on and look the other
way. What is going on now is hurting the organic industry because cheap product that is suspect
and some not so organic growers pose as the real thing.
That being said one million pounds of organic food on three acres is little more than a pipe dream
and if it sounds to good to be true, well you know the saying.

petros
Quote:

That being said one million pounds of organic food on three acres is little more
than a pipe dream
and if it sounds to good to be true, well you know the
saying.

It'll work in northern BC if attached to a pulp mill and there is cheap hydro available.

Tests have shown say our in house fish man.

Tonington
I said that Alberta has shown that year-round aquaponics is economically feasible, I don't know about the production numbers though.

Ariadne
That hydroponic stuff is great until they screw up the temperature or the chemicals. You'll get tomatoes that burn the inside of your mouth and ecoli outbreaks in Germany ... these things happen ... but are they necessary in order to ensure that everyone in the world is fed? It seems that a lot of people in Somalia are hungry and that terrorists are demanding money from humanitarians to enter the refugee area and distribute food. Never mind ... 3 acres of land is not enough to feed million for many reasons.

It seems that people in Somalia are starving to death. Should Canada bring them into the country (who knows what selection method is used in Somalia when people want Canadian passports) to escape starvation? Should Canada drops food bombs from the sky? Should Canada pay the terrorists that block the road to helping the starving people?

Should Canada drop into the refugee camp to select immigrants and if so, how are they going to be selected? They will lie, steal and cheat for a Canadian passport. What then ... will Canada be the modern Australia taking convicts or tyrants from other countries?

Stretch
Petros, going on your ummm imput into this thread, you strike me as a person who puts his seatbelt on before they close the door....... just my thorts....

yep, gets cold in places.......was in southern ontaio for a few yrs....gets effing cold there, worked on a house with geothermal heating....drilled few holes in the earth free heat, no helmut or safety belt required

petros
Quote:

Petros, going on your ummm imput into this thread, you strike me as a person
who puts his seatbelt on before they close the door....... just my thorts....

Pfffffb. Right now I have two unpaid seat belt tickets. I'll donate $700 to a charity and pay them off with the tax credit since the Feds are the thugs for the Province now with CRA tacking traffic tickets onto your tax bill.

I'd rather my tithe to the govt for my sins be spent on something useful.