Wake up world!!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I'm on it..

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Aquaponics is very efficient. Most people have heard of Doctors Without Borders, but few have heard of Aquaculture without frontiers. It's a similar group, only they help communities set up food production systems, and aquaponics is one way to help people feed themselves nutritious diets.

One tricky part is setting up the biofilter. Some people might think you can just stock the tanks and start growing fish and plants right away. You can lose fish easilly that way, as the ammonia can build up to toxic levels. It's an easy solution though, cycle the filter before stocking fish.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
The real tricky part is something we call winter.

Not really. A small furnace and heat captured from the compost pile. I've been on a farm outside Truro NS that grows striped bass in a greenhouse, all year long.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Try it here and see what the energy cost to production ratios are.

It doesn't need to be tried, there are already greenhouses in western Canada producing tomatoes and other crops year round. There is an aquaponics facility in Brooks, and the University of Lethbridge has performed economic feasibility studies in their own facilities, and found that it is feasible. Aquaponics facilities beat the yields from conventional hydroponics.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
when I was a kid, all we ate was organic food, there was nothing else, organic food is normal food,
its what came later that is different, now organic food is considered a specialty item, more expensive,
and harder to get, doesn't make any sense to me.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
All food comes from organisms thus making it all "organic".

Salts and minerals (nutrients) are all just salts and minerals and they all come from the same sources. It's just the delivery method that changes.

"Organic" is a scam.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
All food comes from organisms thus making it all "organic".

Salts and minerals (nutrients) are all just salts and minerals and they all come from the same sources. It's just the delivery method that changes.

"Organic" is a scam.
How come food from factory farms taste like crap compared to what you can grow in your own yard? Tomatoes at Overwaitea don't taste anything like a tomato. Neither do carrots.If it is all organic, how come those that say organic usually taste like food, while factory grown food tastes like a waste product?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How come food from factory farms taste like crap compared to what you can grow in your own yard? Tomatoes at Overwaitea don't taste anything like a tomato. Neither do carrots.If it is all organic, how come those that say organic usually taste like food, while factory grown food tastes like a waste product?

The ones at the grocery store are roundup ready courtesy of Monsanto. I figure anything that is immune to pestisides can not possibly be good for you.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg

Yeah, right!

How do you know for sure that the food you think has been grown in a private yard, like your own, has not been grown on a well-attended and cared for so-called 'factory farm'?

I bet, if two bowls of the foods you mentioned were placed in front of you, unidentified, you could not tell the difference, or at least you would be lucky to have a hit.

I must admit there may be a perceivable difference in chicken, or even tomatoes, but carrots?