Convicted killer sues New York prison for $50 million for calling him an 'inmate'

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Convicted killer Gerard Domond sues New York prison for $50 million for calling him an 'inmate' | News.com.au

THE family of a cold-blooded killer serving 25 years to life in state prison for shooting a man in the head complained he was being stigmatised by the use of the term "inmate".

The label "implies that our brother is locked up for the purpose of mating with other men," Marie Domond claimed in a lawsuit against New York State Correctional Services Department.

At Brooklyn federal court the Domond family filed demands that officials immediately stop calling Gerard Domond "an inmate", along with a $50 million claim for damages for "mental anguish."

In 1987, Gerard, then a 24-year-old with a lengthy rap sheet, killed a man in Brooklyn in a drug deal gone wrong.

Now 49, he is at the upstate Clinton Correctional Facility and eligible for parole in May 2013.

Acting as her own lawyer, Marie insists: "The suggestive nature of the word is disgraceful. This cruel psychological programming has weighed heavily on our emotional and psychological well-being."

"It's something that's bothered me for a long time," said Marie.

"I couldn't understand why no one recognized that somebody being labeled an inmate, why they wouldn't recognize that. To me it just sounded very wrong."

State correction officials declined to comment on the pending litigation. Or on the word.

--------------------------------------------------

:-?

Besides me calling them complete fk'wit morons for even trying to pull this dumbass stunt, I'll solve this situation right now:

in·mate
–noun

1. a person who is confined in a prison, hospital, etc.

2. Archaic. a person who dwells with others in the same house.

Nice try you fk'n idiot..... nice try and getting some easy money by complaining about mental anguish..... maybe if your family and your dumbass muderous brother had any education, or at least, a friggin dictionary, you all could have spared yourself some of that mental anguish from your own ignorant stupidity.​

Pssh.... "implies that our brother is locked up for the purpose of mating with other men" ...... Maybe she should be locked up along with him to protect others in society from her own stupidity..... then she can complain about mating with her brother when they call her an inmate.​

...... Next!

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Nice try you fk'n idiot..... nice try and getting some easy money by complaining about mental anguish..... maybe if your family and your dumbass muderous brother had any education, or at least, a friggin dictionary, you all could have spared yourself some of that mental anguish from your own ignorant stupidity.​

Nothing new Prax. Inmates in the US sue for anything and everything. They have full access to law libraries and whatever case they brings forth, no matter how ridiculous, they are provided a lawyer and at least get in front of a judge to rule on the complaint. All paid for by the taxpayers.

Does Canada have the same system?​

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Convicted killer Gerard Domond sues New York prison for $50 million for calling him an 'inmate' | News.com.au

THE family of a cold-blooded killer serving 25 years to life in state prison for shooting a man in the head complained he was being stigmatised by the use of the term "inmate".

The label "implies that our brother is locked up for the purpose of mating with other men," Marie Domond claimed in a lawsuit against New York State Correctional Services Department.

At Brooklyn federal court the Domond family filed demands that officials immediately stop calling Gerard Domond "an inmate", along with a $50 million claim for damages for "mental anguish."

In 1987, Gerard, then a 24-year-old with a lengthy rap sheet, killed a man in Brooklyn in a drug deal gone wrong.

Now 49, he is at the upstate Clinton Correctional Facility and eligible for parole in May 2013.

Acting as her own lawyer, Marie insists: "The suggestive nature of the word is disgraceful. This cruel psychological programming has weighed heavily on our emotional and psychological well-being."

"I couldn't understand why no one recognized that somebody being labeled an inmate, why they wouldn't recognize that. To me it just sounded very wrong."

State correction officials declined to comment on the pending litigation. Or on the word.

Besides me calling them complete fk'wit morons for even trying to pull this dumbass stunt, I'll solve this situation right now:

in·mate
–noun

Pssh.... "implies that our brother is locked up for the purpose of mating with other men" ...... Maybe she should be locked up along with him to protect others in society from her own stupidity..... then she can complain about mating with her brother when they call her an inmate.​

...... Next!

Stigmatized????????????? I think that already happened when he shot the guy! :lol:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Nothing new Prax. Inmates in the US sue for anything and everything. They have full access to law libraries and whatever case they brings forth, no matter how ridiculous, they are provided a lawyer and at least get in front of a judge to rule on the complaint. All paid for by the taxpayers.

Does Canada have the same system? [/LEFT]

[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

NAw Our joke of a justice system slaps their pee pee, tells them not to do it again, do a group hug and the inmate to be gets to reoffend. Job security all round.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't know the differences exactly, but in Canada we seem to have far fewer frivolous lawsuits than you folks have Eagle.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I don't know the differences exactly, but in Canada we seem to have far fewer frivolous lawsuits than you folks have Eagle.

Geez... frivoluos lawsuits here are insane. I actually was on a jury for a frivolous lawsuit and I convinced everyone to not give her one dime. The jury forewoman wanted to give her at least something. I was persistent and the good part of a lawsuit like that is that you just need a majority.

It was ridiculous.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Geez... frivoluos lawsuits here are insane. I actually was on a jury for a frivolous lawsuit and I convinced everyone to not give her one dime. The jury forewoman wanted to give her at least something. I was persistent and the good part of a lawsuit like that is that you just need a majority.

It was ridiculous.

Nice. Was it no warning on the hot coffee cup frivolous?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nice. Was it no warning on the hot coffee cup frivolous?

It was a rear end collision. Yet there was not ONE SCRATCH. Honestly... there was no damage at all. They showed a picture of the bumper. Yet the woman was rushed to the hospital. When the kid that ht her got out of the car she was on the phone and refused to talk to him. Paramedics came and she said her neck and back were hurt.

Honestly Tonnington... there was not a scratch. I've had bigger dings on my side door from a mall parking lot. There was an autobody mechanic on the jury and he said that he had seen accidents at three miles and hour with bumpers hanging off. He said it was well under 1MPH. It was in a local traffic jam and he bumped her a bit.

cranky

Time Out
Apr 17, 2011
It was a rear end collision. Yet there was not ONE SCRATCH. Honestly... there was no damage at all. They showed a picture of the bumper. Yet the woman was rushed to the hospital. When the kid that ht her got out of the car she was on the phone and refused to talk to him. Paramedics came and she said her neck and back were hurt.

Honestly Tonnington... there was not a scratch. I've had bigger dings on my side door from a mall parking lot. There was an autobody mechanic on the jury and he said that he had seen accidents at three miles and hour with bumpers hanging off. He said it was well under 1MPH. It was in a local traffic jam and he bumped her a bit.

that is damn risky. now she has it on the books that she was injured. if an injuring in the same area ever happens, good luck in claiming it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
that is damn risky. now she has it on the books that she was injured. if an injuring in the same area ever happens, good luck in claiming it.

Yup. Her lawyer actually told that to us in his closing argument. If we find "No Fault" and anything further happens to her back or neck this case can be used as evidence that she was injured before.

Oh well.

She wanted her Medical Bills paid for that she ran up to go to court... AND she wanted the guys insurance company to pay for her honeymoon that she said she was not able to enjoy.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Is there a term for "ambulance chasing" non-lawyers? I imagine it's not a rare occurrence.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

in·mate
–noun

...... Next!

Too bad the rest of his family(since they sound like idiots just like him) didn't have to end up footing the legal bill after he loses his case. At least, I hope he loses his case.

Heck, a woman got a nice settlement due to her motorhome not having any information stating that you had to remain at the wheel even after clicking on cruise control, so you never know. Basically, she set her cruise control, went to the back and started to make herself a sandwich. And she was surprised when the vehicle left the road and crashed? Probably not as surprised as everyone else when she successfully sued. Talk about pathetic!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Too bad the rest of his family(since they sound like idiots just like him) didn't have to end up footing the legal bill after he loses his case. At least, I hope he loses his case.

Heck, a woman got a nice settlement due to her motorhome not having any information stating that you had to remain at the wheel even after clicking on cruise control, so you never know. Basically, she set her cruise control, went to the back and started to make herself a sandwich. And she was surprised when the vehicle left the road and crashed? Probably not as surprised as everyone else when she successfully sued. Talk about pathetic!
[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

Now I am confused, I heard the same story but it was an East Indian in Saskatchewan......................um was she East Indian?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

I remember hearing something like that a while back..... did it ever occur to her that it's called "Cruise Control" not "Cruise, Traffic Observing & Steering Control?"

It ain't fk'n Auto Pilot numb nutz!

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well, until they change the laws to stop pointless lawsuits, the society deserves them for putting such laws in place. Might as well take advantage in a get rich quick suit while you still can.