Wouldn't it be nice if....

In Between Man
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Ah, if we didn't go around blowing up other countries, the feds could send more money to the provinces for better education and health care. But it seems there are too many here that prefer blowing up other countries than improving their kids lot in life.

Can't we have both better funded schools and military operations at the same time? Canada gave away 2.3 billion in foreign aid in 2010, lets put that towards schools. Just a thought...

petros
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Because we have been socially conditioned to be mindless consumers of everything. It is not just education. It runs the whole gamete of our social and materialistic mind set. Parents seem to be afraid of their kids because they give in to every whim from electronic gadgetry to fashion.

I offered my kid the same deal my dad did for me. I could have anything I wanted if I came up with half the money or enough hours doing odd jobs for 50 cents an hour.

9 times out of 10 by the time I saved up the money I didn't want what I was saving for anymore and he'd still match me even if I hung on to it.

Cliffy
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I offered my kid the same deal my dad did for me. I could have anything I wanted if I came up with half the money or enough hours doing odd jobs for 50 cents an hour.

9 times out of 10 by the time I saved up the money I didn't want what I was saving for anymore and he'd still match me even if I hung on to it.

Yup, some manage to break out of the mold. Almost seems like a freak of nature when sheeple wake up. Some are lucky enough to have been brought up outside the mold. Some get moldy before their time.

Praxius
Quote: Originally Posted by AriadneView Post

Wouldn't it be nice if everyone could eat cupcakes regardless of whether they were in kindergarten or the military?

You do remember what happened to the last person who suggested something like that?

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

50 cents an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try 25 cents a week! That's how I bought my first two bicycles, keeping the kindling box full.

Zan
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

I do not disagree with your contention, and for the record, I am not advocating a pay-per-service model.

My point is that the education system should have a base service or core curriculum that is standard across the board and this base should be completely funded out of the tax base. Those students that elect to broaden their experience should expect to fund it themselves in whole or in part.

There is no way that our current system could conceivably accommodate all possible strengths and aptitudes of each student considering the number of variables. At present (in AB), healthcare and education consume in excess of 70-75% of the provincial budget (I don't know the exact school figure but I understand that it is second only to HC). This is not sustainable in any way shape or form.

The economics dictate that an attempt to be all things to all people is not in the cards.

I deserved that especially in light of the conversation.

No matter how you slice it - once you put a price tag on it, it is a pay-for-service model. And if you've watched the link I posted, I'd like to ask - what's covered under the core curriculum, what's an 'extra', and who decides which is which?