karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
OMG what balls for an immgrant kid to say such things to to us Godly Canadians. Who does she think she is? DePape?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Disagree. The military works for us and once a part of the military you don't get to choose what you do and don't do.
They should be equipped with exactly the right tools to get the job done right whatever the cost.

I don't think much of schools these days anyway.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Wouldn't it be nice if the dolt who made that sign for that poor kid showed just one single school that has to maintain itself by bake sales? Wouldn't it be nice if there were discipline in schools, so teachers could teach?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Wouldn't it be nice if the dolt who made that sign for that poor kid showed just one single school that has to maintain itself by bake sales?

I guess you missed the distinction on that sign...fully funded school, and military has to buy bombs with bake sale funds... Obviously they aren't contending that school's are financed solely by bake sales.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I guess jackie boy is right about schools. Especially since the schools seemed to produce narrow minded, ignorant, war mongers like above that just can't seem to wrap their minds around peace instead of killing. Oh yes, and by the way, don't bother with the usual cop outs and excuses as to why war is necessary. It's only necessary because there are far too many like yourselves who obviously prefer the blood shed over peace.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I guess you missed the distinction on that sign...fully funded school, and military has to buy bombs with bake sale funds... Obviously they aren't contending that school's are financed solely by bake sales.

Schools ARE fully funded. I never implied or claimed that either schools or the milirary nedd to sustain themselves by bake sales.

What I DID mean to say that the jerk who victimized that poor ignorant kid to carry that outrageous nonsense is a dolt and I said so.

gerryj, as someone who, unlike you, actually has experience of war as a six year old, I DO NOT want to promote war, never did, but I believe in strong defense.

And when I referred to discipline - or more appropriately the woeful lack thereof - in schools I meant to say that if there were proper discipline in schools one teacher could teach a class of 50 or more, and so the cost of education would be drastically lower than now.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Schools are not fully funded. I have to pay $110 per child, every year, fundraise for playground and sports equipment, and pay out of pocket for field trips, and any 'extras', such as when the schools have in hands on learning modules such as their bridge building classes, boat making classes, etc. The costs climb as children get older, with text book fees, locker fees, and field trip fees all growing as the child does.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Schools are not fully funded. I have to pay $110 per child, every year, fundraise for playground and sports equipment, and pay out of pocket for field trips, and any 'extras', such as when the schools have in hands on learning modules such as their bridge building classes, boat making classes, etc. The costs climb as children get older, with text book fees, locker fees, and field trip fees all growing as the child does.

That is no different from you paying when you drive on a toll road or ride a ferry.

As it should be. I would be prepared to see more services go 'user pay'. My kids have been out of school for over thirty years, yet my taxes are still being confiscated for supporting schools. And as a parent I experienced what your post says you do now, but, being of an older generation I never complained about it.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Schools ARE fully funded. I never implied or claimed that either schools or the milirary nedd to sustain themselves by bake sales.

No schools are not FULLY funded. There were music programs when I started in school. By the time I finished elementary school there was no music program at my school.

There are all sorts of volunteer organizations around to fill the gaps that exist in schools. Bake sales wouldn't exist if school programs were fully funded.

Sure, maybe a school can go without music lessons, and maybe a military can exist with fewer bombs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
That is no different from you paying when you drive on a toll road or ride a ferry.

As it should be. I would be prepared to see more services go 'user pay'. My kids have been out of school for over thirty years, yet my taxes are still being confiscated for supporting schools. And as a parent I experienced what your post says you do now, but, being of an older generation I never complained about it.

I'm not complaining about it, just clarifying that you were in fact wrong when you said it was fully funded.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Schools are FULLY funded for essentials. You know the proverbial three 'R's. Perhaps not for frills, but then they have never been and nothing is fully funded with the possible exception of public libraries.

While I paid my taxes, I sent both of my kids to private school from Grade 5 to 8, inclusive.

Without complaining. And paid extra for all their sport activities (both played Rep soccer for four years), their music lessons and art classes.

So far nobody questioned or challenged my contention that the lack of discipline grossly increases education costs. I am waiting.

Tonnington, your aversion to the military ('fewer bombs') is not really valid re the Canadian military.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So far nobody questioned or challenged my contention that the lack of discipline grossly increases education costs. I am waiting.

Explain your contention then. It's an exercise in futility to question or challenge something for which the causes and mitigations are not stated.

Fifty students is not easily managed. I doubt the private school you sent your kids to had classroom sizes that large.